Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you an Introvert or an Extrovert?
Introvert 196 91.16%
Extrovert 19 8.84%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm definitely an introvert, I think the last time I took the Briggs-Meyers test I came out as ISTJ. I don't mind being around people, in fact I enjoy socializing, but I don't like being the center of attention. I don't feel the need to seek out others, and am perfectly happy if there is no one to socialize with. For example, in taking up golfing, I rarely plan going with a friend or group (I'll happily go if invited). But if I decide on the spur of the moment to go I likely won't call anyone but will just go play by myself and be perfectly happy.

Introvert/extrovert has always interested me from DW and I's family dynamics. My father and DW's fathers were both introverts, while our mothers are extroverts. I have 6 siblings, 4 are extroverts and 2 others are introverts. on DW's side she and a brother are extroverts, while another brother and sister are introverts.

One of the nicest compliments paid to me was by the then 18 year old daughter of friends. We were on a camping trip with a group of families and the teens got into a discussion about the parents. My name cam up and they all said how quiet I was, but the young lady added "Mr Jollystomper is quiet, but when he has something to say you better listen, it always makes sense", and they all agreed. I was shocked that they even noticed me - and honored that they thought of me that way.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Being a strong introvert, I find planning my social engagements helps. If I'm around a small group of people I know well, I can actually get energized. But if it is a larger group and with people I do not know well, it can be exhausting. But if I have enough of alone time beforehand to get ready and afterward to recover, it's a lot better. I have an analogy of money in the bank. When I am around other people, it's like withdrawing money from the (energy) bank - the amount depends on the size of the group and how well I know everybody. My alone time is like depositing money in the (energy) bank. As long as my deposits at least equals withdrawals, I'm OK. If not, I get irritable and (eventually) get sick to where I generally come down with a sinus infection and stay in bed for a few days.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #63

Innie.

I'm stunned by the results so far (94% introvert). Iirc, the general population is about 25% introvert. What a skewed group we have. My people.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #64

extreme INTP here.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #65

I'm also INTJ. I'm thinking that an I is much more likely to want to FIRE than an E because the former wants to get away from the over-stimulation of the w*rk environment to seek refuge in the garage, and the latter would feel way too isolated spending all day in the garage. For ERs, it's much easier to find solitude than it is to find groups with which to socialize. So the Es stick with their social groups at w*rk, and the Is pull the plug ASAP.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

{INTP: Egghead - May be able to tell you how to construct a nuclear reactor from a coconut and two pieces of string, but may be completely incapable of fixing a hole in a boat.}

I am a proud INTP, but I never finished nuclear propulsion school. Apparently the Navy frowns on folks growing their own dental floss. No loss anyway, now I don't glow in the dark. And as far as boat repair. Cliff, my handyman does that just fine.

I dread going out with groups larger than four. But once there, I always have a good time. Most people don't know I'm an introvert, although I tell everyone who will listen that I am anti-social. They think I am kidding. The DW and I both hate it when people drop over unexpectedly. But with her being an elected official, she is very good at making people feel welcome, be they the judge or a logger. She learned that skill twenty five years ago when she was a store manager.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Some time ago I read in what seemed like a decent study that INTJ's were the most satisfied with retirement. Seems to fit with the stats here. I'm an Aquarius introvert.

I enjoyed the book, Quiet. She has a very good TED talk that is in Bill Gates top thirteen favorite TED talks.
Susan Cain: The power of introverts | Video on TED.com
Old 08-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Every time I take the BM test, I come out as INTJ. I don't mind being around people and I dare say that living in a large, highly densely-populated, and vibrant city actually gives me lots of energy. But interacting with these people, even those whom I know and love, is a drain for sure.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I have noticed that our extrovert neighbors seem to spend more on cars, home upgrades, clothes, publicized donations, i.e. - things to impress others ...
+ 1

Just like extroverts need contact with others more so than introverts they seem to derive a greater amount of their identity from possessions, accomplishments of kids etc. than introverts who are less influenced by the opinions of others. It's almost a "cultural" difference.
EveryLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #70
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
I'm also INTJ. I'm thinking that an I is much more likely to want to FIRE than an E because the former wants to get away from the over-stimulation of the w*rk environment to seek refuge in the garage, and the latter would feel way too isolated spending all day in the garage. For ERs, it's much easier to find solitude than it is to find groups with which to socialize. So the Es stick with their social groups at w*rk, and the Is pull the plug ASAP.
As an INFJ, I quite agree. Feeling over-stimulated on a daily basis is my primary reason for wanting to check out of employment.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #71

So why are others so draining? Spock: "That non-INTJ is a person." INTJ: "Yes, a mass of conflicting impulses."
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That poll indicates more than 80% of the responders had personality types beginning with I (introverted). My guess is so few E (extroverted) types responded because they were too busy selling annuities, entering karaoke contests or campaigning for office...
Exactly.....
Old 08-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #73

INTJ here.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger r View Post
I'm an Aquarius introvert.
Maybe we a zodiac poll next....
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Every time I take the BM test, I come out as INTJ. I don't mind being around people and I dare say that living in a large, highly densely-populated, and vibrant city actually gives me lots of energy. But interacting with these people, even those whom I know and love, is a drain for sure.
Please don't call it the BM test ! Lets think of another shortcut.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I consider the MBTI to be twaddle. What type does that make me?

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I consider the MBTI to be twaddle. What type does that make me?

Amethyst
Twaddle-Dee or Twaddle-Dum?
Old 08-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

INTJ here. From what I've read, INTJs need a lot of space and independence. They are the most independent of all the types and have a strong need for autonomy. Generally, they prefer to work alone. INTJs dislike rules and artificial limitations. Additionally, they are decisive, organized, and good planners and long-range thinkers. They are more focused on the future than on the present.

Makes us a natural fit for ER, I suppose.
inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #79

Quote:
INTJ here. From what I've read, INTJs need a lot of space and independence. They are the most independent of all the types and have a strong need for autonomy. Generally, they prefer to work alone. INTJs dislike rules and artificial limitations. Additionally, they are decisive, organized, and good planners and long-range thinkers. They are more focused on the future than on the present.
+1. I could have written this post.

And I find the older I get, the more introverted I've become. I've gotten really bad about accepting invitations from friends to do things. Unless I really, REALLY want to do whatever it is, I generally decline. My need to be with people just for the sheer sake of socializing isn't nearly as strong as my desire to relax, putz around the house, read, garden, etc.

I'm going to have to have a sit-down with some of them, because I know they're taking it personally. Good thread OP!
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

This whole MBTI thing is weird. I swear that INTJ's are obsessive about it, hence the discussion above. Many other personality types are clueless or don't care.

I'm an ISTJ. Took the official test back at megacorp 1 in the 80s when they were considering me for management. I remember talking about it, then forgetting the whole thing until I came upon this thread. I do recall some friends talking about it from time to time. I still don't see the big deal. It is an interesting tool, with limits. Maybe even "twaddle."

But maybe that's why I'm an "S" and not "N". The INTJ's see the possibilities, the ISTJs just see it and think, "OK, so what. Next problem."

I'm pretty sure DW is INFJ. We share a lot, but I can come across as a cold hearted bastard in her view. NF and ST sometimes don't mix.

But for investing, cold-hearted bastard decisions are good. She leaves it to me to make those hard, logic decisions even in a down market. She's taught me to cough up some of it and give it away for good causes.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote