Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much of your scheduled SS benefit are you expecting?
I'm over 60, and expecting 100% 43 23.50%
I'm over 60, and expecting 75% 4 2.19%
I'm over 60, and expecting 50% 0 0%
I'm over 60, and expecting 25% 0 0%
I'm over 60, and expecting 0% 0 0%
I'm 50-59, expecting 100% 50 27.32%
50-59, 75% 31 16.94%
50-59, 50% 6 3.28%
50-59, 25% 1 0.55%
50-59, 0% 0 0%
I'm 40-49, 100% 5 2.73%
40-49, 75% 15 8.20%
40-49, 50% 7 3.83%
40-49, 25% 3 1.64%
40-49, 0% 3 1.64%
I'm Under 40, 100% 0 0%
Under 40, 75% 3 1.64%
Under 40, 50% 7 3.83%
Under 40, 25% 1 0.55%
Under 40, 0% 4 2.19%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am 46 and expect 75%, maybe 50%.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #22

I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bombwhatever present the future brings.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Currently age 31 and hoping to FIRE by 35. I voted 50%. I imagine what we get will be different (and lower) than what we are "promised" today. I imagine as a wealthier than average person I will get a disproportionately lower SS payment since it will likely be means tested or taxed based on means somehow.

Since I will have roughly 30-35 years before I am eligible for SS, it is a very small part of my planning because I have to acquire sufficient resources to carry me for the next 3+ decades regardless of what SS benefits I ultimately get.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am using the 75% figure to do my planning. It just does not seem like I can count on 100% of it.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #25

I'm not eligible for SS so I am expecting zero. Most of my career I did not pay into SS so I don't have the minimum number of credits.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:29 AM   #26

I'm almost 61. I always expected to start at 62 then all the threads about deferring to 66 or 70 seemed to make sense. So I was really conflicted as to waiting to 66 because it was a lot more for a mere 4 year wait. My pension is reduced at 62 whether I collect SS at any age so I might have to dip into investments with a 23% reduction in my pension though I am frugal enough I may not, not really sure but suspect not. It would depend upon unexpected expenses....

Whether you take SS at 62 or 66 or 70 the break even point is all based upon the assumption that your life span is X. However, my life span may be X-10 or X + 5. As a frugal LBYM type of person and not a gambler I decided to just take what I can at 62, break even is at 79. If I live that long then I made the wrong choice.

I expect to get 100% but if I get less than what they say I will at 62 it isn't going to effect my life style. Yes, I expect to get it and like many my attitude is I paid into it all my life and now it is my turn.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Almost 53 here. I voted 50% for lack of a getter guess-timate.
I fully intend to file for my SS benefits (from my employment history) at age 62, for the simple reason to "lock in" my status as a recipient of benefits before things get really warped. My FRA is 66 yrs 8 mos. I intend to take my SS benefits and reinvest them for some additional TE income. I'll take 71.7% at age 62 over uncertainty about legislative changes until my FRA.
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/retirement/1958.html
I will not get any SS benefits from my late husband's federal employment (CSRS), but I do receive his pension now. I have a fixed annuity now. I am managing fine on both.
I have my own modest FERS deferred pension coming in 3 years. I have a decent size retirement portfolio to draw on in case things really go south at the federal level.
I never included SS in my "can I FIRE?" calculations, so anything I get in 2021 at age 62 will be a bonus.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
With all the comments on any thread referencing SS reductions, I thought a poll made sense.
Independent, thanks for doing this very well designed poll!

SS ... I figure I'm getting it all
Old 07-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Independent, thanks for doing this very well designed poll!
What do you mean, well designed? There's no bacon option. How can you have a poll without a bacon option?

And if not bacon, at least Venezuelan Beaver Cheese

Tip of the hat to bbbamI
Old 07-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Bacon ... that's what you're suppose to do with all those SS = $$ dollars.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #31
Confused about dryer sheets

maxing SS benefit.

62, don't anticipate benefits being reduced more than a small amount (like chained COLA - and that not soon). Don't plan to start until 70. Likely my wife who is younger and has lower lifetime earnings will start sooner.

While there is more than zero risk to SS benefits, I think there is considerably more risk to IRA capital and returns - the black swans, inflation, business cycles.

So we'll spend what we need from savings while we have it to invest in the 7%+ COLAd return with 100% survivor "SPIA" of delaying SS.

There is also a tax-on-SS value to making SS a higher proportion of total income and reducing RMDs by spending down / converting to Roth the deductable IRA. Under current regs and in current dollars we could have $81K income ($59K from SS) and only $1K income tax in 2020.

And if we don't make it to 2020...we won't be spending any money any more anyway.

On my spreadsheers it seems an excellent longevity insurance policy (many relatives have gone past 90).

Robert Frost
Old 07-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
What do you mean, well designed? There's no bacon option. How can you have a poll without a bacon option?

Tip of the hat to bbbamI

Just stay away from the Fromunda cheese.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Old 07-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Not true.... some of the proposals will only protect if you are over 55...
You are assuming this law will be passed this year and be effective this year.
I propose nothing will happen until 2013, and not be effective until 2014 or later (like Obamacare), so those over 50 today will be exempt when this occurs, if it happens.
TJ
Old 07-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

+1, same for husband

We paid/pay 7% into our pension funds instead.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
I'm not eligible for SS so I am expecting zero. Most of my career I did not pay into SS so I don't have the minimum number of credits.
I'm Not Expecting A Dime
Old 07-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm Not Expecting A Dime

I am hoping that the whole concept of government run retirement accounts is long gone and phased out by the time I get to full retirement age.

That said, I am not counting on SS in any of my retirement calculations. Then, if I end up getting some of the money back I have paid in, it will be a bonus. I simply don't trust that the government can turn things around and the numbers and trend lines would seem to support my view.

I do hope that we figure out a way to make sure those closer to retirement now and who NEED SS for their wellbeing are taken care of.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFrost View Post
62, don't anticipate benefits being reduced more than a small amount (like chained COLA - and that not soon). Don't plan to start until 70. Likely my wife who is younger and has lower lifetime earnings will start sooner.

While there is more than zero risk to SS benefits, I think there is considerably more risk to IRA capital and returns - the black swans, inflation, business cycles.

So we'll spend what we need from savings while we have it to invest in the 7%+ COLAd return with 100% survivor "SPIA" of delaying SS.

There is also a tax-on-SS value to making SS a higher proportion of total income and reducing RMDs by spending down / converting to Roth the deductable IRA. Under current regs and in current dollars we could have $81K income ($59K from SS) and only $1K income tax in 2020.

And if we don't make it to 2020...we won't be spending any money any more anyway.

On my spreadsheers it seems an excellent longevity insurance policy (many relatives have gone past 90).

Robert Frost
That's my reasoning, too.

I note that your most famous relative only made it to 88 and 10 months.
Robert Frost - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #38

Quote:

Tip of the hat to bbbamI
They only give us 20 questions. Trust me, if the had given me 30, I would have used them.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

After getting out of the Army in the 70s and landing my first "real job," my new wife and I decided that we would not bank on Soceal Security being there when we retired. We saved and invested as if we would only have what we put away for ouselves.

Jump ahead 40 years and we are now receiving several pensions and two social security "checks" as part of our monthly income stream.

It's better to plan that SS won't be there and be surprised if it is there at the end.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Mickey, look like you did well and I hope you're living it up now. The economy needs an injection and you can't take all that green stuff with you in the end.