Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you in the "Won The Game" Crowd with reference to investing?
Yes! No Stocks or Stock Mutual funds or ETFs for Us! We do not need or want them. 24 8.14%
No, We still have Stocks and Stock Funds (for Whatever Reason) 271 91.86%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2019, 08:52 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
With 8 pensions between the 2 of us money out the wazoo we have no need for equities but maintain a 50/50 AA.
FIFY...again.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2019, 08:53 AM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
FIFY...again.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:00 AM   #43
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
FIFY...again.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:03 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The common definition of "won the game" seems to be a 100% success rate in FireCalc. But FireCalc assumes that the future will not be worse than the worst of the past. Once one has won the game by this definition, it would seem that the next step would be to position oneself for scenarios where the future is worse than the past.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:03 AM   #45
Administrator

Another relevant factor not often discussed is improvements in standard of living (SoL) over time. By definition (BLS) SoL improvements are things such as cell phones, automobile safety features, streaming video service, new medical discoveries and techniques.

They are not considered part of the CPI. They are additional, and if we want to enjoy this increasing standard of living during all of our retirement, our budgets need to grow more than (inflation + taxes).

Just thinking about the changes we’ve enjoyed over the past 30 years, I definitely would not want to miss out on the next 30. That means my portfolio needs to provide for inflation + taxes+ withdrawals + SoL improvements. Over a 30-40 year period, this is at least 7% annualized. In order to get there with only fixed income options, my guess is the amount saved (total portfolio) would need to be >50% more. That equates to many years of additional work.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:04 AM   #46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
With 8 pensions between the 2 of us we have no need for equities but maintain a 50/50 AA.
Dad? Is that you? Hey ...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:07 AM   #47

FIRECalc indicates that 100% success for 30 years on a 4% growth & 3% inflation or 100% 1-month treasury. However, we still have more than 50% in equity. The reason, I think, is the tenacity to have more and insecurity.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:10 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This chart shows that a 28/72 stocks/bonds has the lowest risk vs 100% bonds. Not sure how that fits into true 'fixed income' but FWIW

Even more interesting is that a 50/50 carries less risk than 100% bonds.

risk-vs-return.jpg
Old 04-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #49
Gone but not forgotten

Except for a few stray tiny stocks, never invested in equities.

Bonds and Annuity have paid well over 4% for the past 30 years... that and Social Security has left our net worth in better shape than when we retired, and with a small LTC policy, we feel safe. Dunno if that means "winning the game", but we're pretty happy, though it might be nice to be back in our 50's...

I plan to come back as a hummingbird. We're waiting our friends return from Panama. Feeder is out. Pair of yellow finch this morning.

Life is good!
Old 04-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #50

I didn't answer the poll because I don't understand the premise of the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
It won't be clear if I truly won the game until both DW and I are dead...
+1

Our WR is below the portfolio's dividend rate with SS still to come. I suppose most people would define that as having "won the game." Or perhaps spending too conservatively. But I retired at 52; and chances are reasonably good that one of us will live into our 90s. That's a really long time with more risks and uncertainties than any planning tool can possibly comprehend.

Our portfolio is 70% stock and real estate. This is intended to cover inflation, longevity, and LTC risks... without becoming a financial burden on our kids or the state. If none of that happens, then our kids and grandkids will likely inherit a tidy sum. Only then, will the game's outcome be clear.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #51

We have been 100% fixed income (individual bonds, CDs, preferred stocks, and treasuries for 30 years and some years with rental income and capital gains from real estate transaction). We continued to grow and compound through all the major corrections over the past 30 years. I see no need for any equity exposure given our portfolio size in expense coverage through pension and interest income. At some point in the not too distant future, our portfolio will be CDs and treasuries only, which requires minimum management. I know many early retirees that have never owned stocks or bonds but have an incredible real estate portfolio (residential and commercial) and a steady income stream from rental income.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Our retirement plan is to live mainly off <= SS, pensions and our TIPS interest or equivalent in retirement. Not too much in stocks. Our net worth should be about the same whenever we die as it is today in inflation adjusted dollars, less extraordinary expenses like extended long term care. Plan B, the rent from our current house would cover all our expenses in a lower cost of living area or we could start dipping into principal for an additional 3.33% withdrawal (100 (zero real interest rate) / 30 more retirement years = 3.33%).
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:11 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
... Once one has won the game by this definition, it would seem that the next step would be to position oneself for scenarios where the future is worse than the past.
Why? Asteroids?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:29 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I answered "No" but feel I have still won the game.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:39 AM   #55

I think "won the game", was an unfortunate wording to get to what I think the spirit of the question is. It's more about do you feel the need to forcefully reduce market risk because you have enough to cover anticipated expenses.

I do not. I'm convinced that market risk is going to be rewarded for patient investors as it has been in the past. Some here are depending on market growth to "make it", and they are not candidates for elimination of market risk. But I suspect many of us would make it without market risk, we just choose not to go that route.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not much tempted to load up on FI when real yields at 0.5-1.0%. Now if we could get 3.5%+ real like when TIPS and I Bonds were introduced, it would be worth thinking about. I think there is still a reasonably good chance of earning an equity risk premium over our lifetime. In consideration for our heirs interests, we are keeping a good chunk in equity.
Svensk Anga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Just thinking about the changes we’ve enjoyed over the past 30 years, I definitely would not want to miss out on the next 30. That means my portfolio needs to provide for inflation + taxes+ withdrawals + SoL improvements. Over a 30-40 year period, this is at least 7% annualized.
It's not clear to me why you've come to this conclusion. It's not like there haven't been technological advances in the past, and yet 4% WR has worked.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:46 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Why? Asteroids?
Is that the only thing you can think of that could be worse than the past?

How about the national debt getting truly out of control?

War weapons can cause a lot more destruction these days, and we really haven't had a war significantly on our soil since the Civil War. How about a limited nuclear war, or all-out terrorism? How well could we take a 9/11 type of attack every few months?

Rising oceans causing coastal cities to have to be rebuilt inland?

A catastrophic earthquake destroying a lot of California?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:48 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Evaluating the merits of only fixed income without mentioning inflation is like asking about living in SE Florida - but not mentioning hurricanes. Not talking about the risk does not mean it isn’t still present.
+1
And within that context, IMO, the game isn't won until the buzzer sounds.
Both of you phrased your posts so nicely. What you are saying is exactly what I meant in the post that everyone hated so much and I am sorry that I phrased it so poorly. When I wrote it I felt I couldn't mention the "I" word (and explain more tactfully and nicely) according to the parameters of the thread, - - but you all are braver than I am.

But if we are now talking about "I"... then I can say that I feel that any retiree, no matter how well funded, needs some "I" protection in case massive "I" descends; I fear the OP's situation is a disaster waiting to happen, even though it hasn't happened to him yet.

Like many here, I have reduced my equity exposure but not to zero because I need to hedge my bets (as Audreyh1 phrased it).

I wouldn't put my entire net worth on "red" at the roulette table day after day, even if I had done so and won every time up to now, unless I was desperate. That's an extreme example, I know, but I am using it as an illustration because risk is involved. As MichaelB said, not talking about risk doesn't mean it does not exist.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Both of you phrased your posts so nicely. What you are saying is exactly what I meant in the post that everyone hated so much and I am sorry that I phrased it so poorly. When I wrote it I felt I couldn't mention the "I" word (and explain more tactfully and nicely) according to the parameters of the thread, - - but you all are braver than I am.

But if we are now talking about "I"... then I can say that I feel that any retiree, no matter how well funded, needs some "I" protection in case massive "I" descends; I fear the OP's situation is a disaster waiting to happen, even though it hasn't happened to him yet.

Like many here, I have reduced my equity exposure but not to zero because I need to hedge my bets (as Audreyh1 phrased it).
If one is primarily concerned about inflation, I'd recommend TIPS before increasing equity exposure.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote