Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: As a retiree, how do you plan for big ticket expenses?
Don't buy them. 10 11.36%
Buy only when my portfolio is booming 8 9.09%
Save up for them by setting aside a portion of my withdrawals 71 80.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:Big Ticket spending
Old 08-02-2019, 04:17 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Poll:Big Ticket spending

I'm wondering how FIRE folks (those who are retired) think about "big ticket" expenses like new cars, home improvements, and perhaps new RV's (if you're into that lifestyle). i.e. things that cost upwards of $50K and come every 5-10 years. Do you...

A. Deprive yourself of these things for the rest of your life, or
B. Allow them only if your portfolio is beating expectations, or
C. Set aside a certain amount of your SWR to "save up" for them

Putting it another way, is retirement living a constant struggle to stay within budget and say no to anything that doesn't fit?

tophermiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2019, 04:21 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophermiller View Post
I'm wondering how FIRE folks (those who are retired) think about "big ticket" expenses like new cars, home improvements, and perhaps new RV's (if you're into that lifestyle). i.e. things that cost upwards of $50K and come every 5-10 years. Do you...

Putting it another way, is retirement living a constant struggle to stay within budget and say no to anything that doesn't fit?
D. Include this extra spending in the pre-retirement finances calculation.

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:24 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^^^^ +1

By spending less than 3%/yr all in, I hope to have plenty of reserve for infrequent large purchases. And then, there's SS to claim too.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I voted C, but am hoping that the markets are kind to me over the next four years. If so, I'll take 28% of the next egg to buy a house, and still maintain my initial standard of living/spending level.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:29 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

E. Pull the large amount from the retirement account, and reduce future income by recalculating your SWR.

Just another option.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #6

I just buy the stuff as needed
Old 08-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Not for us.

Since retiring 14 years ago we've purchased two RV's, a new truck and two nearly-new cars. I don't think we've said no to anything we really wanted to buy.

My poll answer is both C and D.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
^^^^ +1

By spending less than 3%/yr all in, I hope to have plenty of reserve for infrequent large purchases. And then, there's SS to claim too.
Forgot to say, I do not spend any differently than I did when still working.

Perhaps I can spend more now thanks to the bull market, but do not feel like it, and do not want anything. Too much "stuff" already.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Struggle? Not for me! I am not wealthy, but seriously this is not a problem.

I voted "C. Set aside a certain amount of your SWR to "save up" for them", but it's not really a specific amount. I just live a slightly LBYM lifestyle, buy whatever I need or want without ramping up the lifestyle, and whatever I don't spend is what is set aside.

From David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens:
Quote:
“My other piece of advice, Copperfield,” said Mr. Micawber, “you know. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
D. Include this extra spending in the pre-retirement finances calculation.
D for me too.

B to a small part, if things weren't going well, I wouldn't get them.

C is totally foreign to me; I only withdraw what I spend, so withdrawing and saving makes no sense because i'm already saving.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:53 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
C is totally foreign to me; I only withdraw what I spend, so withdrawing and saving makes no sense because i'm already saving.
RMD's could change that for you.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

None of the above - I buy as needed.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #13

I wish the big ticket items came every 5-10 years...

I use my cash available, and my HELOC for periods of ~3-months or less. Charge the stuff first, and get as many points as I can. Then pay off the card with my HELOC and cash available.

My Checking account has my HELOC as a reserve. When I have a HELOC balance, I typically have less than $1 in my checking account. It's all on my HELOC saving interest. As checks and bills clear, the HELOC gets hit. But I do save a lot of interest.

The rental income eventually catches up to the amount I owe on the HELOC. You can use the same technique with whatever income you have coming in.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:22 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
RMD's could change that for you.
I'll have little or no tIRA by 70, but even if I did, I'd consider that a transfer of money to my taxable account. Yeah, technically a withdrawal, but not for spending. I consider withdrawals what I move over to my checking account, which is where all of my expenses are funneled through.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I understand that some people do set withdrawal amounts, and set aside what they don't spend. I'm not stating any opinion on that. I'm just saying that's not what I do so to say that I save from withdrawals simply isn't an option for me, unless I changed my method.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:39 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I must have dyslexia as when first reading, thought the thread was "Big Speeding Ticket" .
Old 08-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I just buy the stuff as needed
This. I don’t need permission or whatever. If I deem that I need it...just freaking buy it.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:57 PM   #18

I think the one and only time I had a $50k expense was for the down payment on McMansion. I had planned ahead to save cash (BUT, we are not FIRE yet).

I sure hope we don't have too many other 50k expenses.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:06 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

i answered "saved up...." but we do it a little differently. coming from govt i learned about sinking funds...the process of setting a target X-months or years away and setting aside, or sinking, Y-dollars each month for the number of months required to meet that target. simply put if we need say $12k in a year we set aside $1k per month for 12-months. we currently set aside ~$7600 per month into a variety of "funds": vacation, new car, entertainment, pet care, etc. when the CC bill comes in or i write a check for something i simply transfer an equal amount from the MM fund into checking to pay off the CC or "reimburse" the checking acct. i then "debit" the appropriate sinking fund. i use Quicken to keep track of all this so it's all automatic.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:25 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Not yet FIRE’d, but I have a part of our annual budget that is set aside for big ticket expenses. Overall, about 10% of our annual budget consists of these big ticket expenses. I don’t expect to withdraw the funds if they’re not needed, but it’s part of our planning process.

As a cross check, I went through major house systems and expected longevity, typical car cycles, etc... and ammortized the spend out over time to make sure we are accruing an appropriate amount and the $ came in very close.

The reality is that in tough times, we would make the car last a little longer, or not do that kitchen revamp, so hopefully that gives us a bit of buffer.

tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big ticket, spending, swr