Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: After retiring, it took X yrs to toss most/all my professional materials & tools
most/all gone in 3 months or less 52 46.02%
most/all gone in 1 year or less 23 20.35%
most/all gone in 3 years or less 7 6.19%
most/all gone in 5 years or less 7 6.19%
I still have most/all of it 24 21.24%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2015, 02:43 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I kept diplomas, plaques, and coins from the more interesting assignments. Sadly, as a memento of one of my most interesting jobs, I was given only a very cheap desk clock/pen set, which soon broke. So the only "keepsake" to remember that job by, was the nice promotion

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I brought my awards and plaques home from work and they immediately went in the trash. .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #22
Administrator

I'm not ready to part with it so I guess I still have it all.

The next time I move, for sure I will get rid of it. I don't want it around enough to lug it to another house.

Oddly, I don't really want to see anything from work, or to display any of it, no matter how decorative. It is hidden away in various closets and drawers throughout my house.

Somewhere in a closet there is a paper bag with my copies of all the separation paperwork, personnel files, paycheck stubs, cash award certificates, promotion paperwork, training completion certificates, and so on. EWWW! I really need to find that and dispose of it. I view it with horror and repulsion, like having a dead body in the closet.

On the other hand, I will never get rid of anything published that I wrote.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm 1.5 years into ER, and I still have everything... mostly books, technical manuals, some training material, and files full of reference information. I also have roughly 7 years of Outlook .pst files and a small portable projector that I traveled with the last 5-6 years, that I forgot to return and no one asked for. Not really sure why I'm keeping all this stuff. There's very little chance that I could restart my career even if I wanted or needed to. I think it's just a little hard to let go after so long.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #24

I moved in anticipation of retirement. Chucked all the books and papers then. Burned up two shredders doing it. The few books I had at work come retirement day were left at work because others used them. Only thing left are mementos from many projects over the years and degrees and training certificates that I thought would be neat to hang on the office wall when the house is completed.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #25

Came home from work and put the box on dining room table. It sat there (we eat family dinners at the kitchen table, usually. We were having friends over, so I needed to clear of the dining room table... Looked hard at the contents and trashed or donated it all.

Even if I went back to work, I doubt I'd use the reference books (donated). Definitely don't need the awards/plaques, etc.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:43 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I still have college textbooks from 30+ years ago. I last referred to one a few years ago to help a niece with a physics problem. Does that mean I am still a college student?
Old 01-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N02L84ER View Post
I still have college textbooks from 30+ years ago. I last referred to one a few years ago to help a niece with a physics problem. Does that mean I am still a college student?
No, it means you are a hoarder. Toss that stuff out!
Old 01-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
[/B] In my case I have quite a few books, binders of training materials that I kept (ISO 9000, Six Sigma/Lean, HR/Environmental Regs, etc.), some paper files and most of my PC files. I haven't thrown away much of it, but I think it might be time.
These are the things that I toss right away.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:54 PM   #29

I started dumping reference materials, articles, books, etc well before I fired. Probably started several years before when I knew what path i wanted to take. However, if I needed to reference it again, for most stuff I can find an electronic copy online.

I've kept copies of my files for anything I authored like papers, software, presentations, etc (academic stuff not industrial). These are hidden in deep in my home directory where I never look at it (unless someone emails me about prior work).
Old 01-25-2015, 05:03 PM   #30

I still have most of it. Really wasn't much stuff. A few books and licenses came home. I threw almost everything else out. I left a few things in my desk because I didn't have time to clean it out on my last day. I went in to visit a month or so ago and my stuff was still in my desk. I'm still on the payroll for one project that I've worked 28 hours on in the last 10 months, so I guess that explains why they haven't told me to clean out my desk. I have taken the first step - I erased all past emails and deleted my work email account from my home computer and iPad.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #31

I worked from home for a few years before I ERed, so I still have a few CDs with software I used for work. Some of that software, however, is still useful even 11 years after I last did the telecommute thing.

I took home a ton of scrap paper with the back side blank to use for printing stuff. Took me 4 years to use it up.

I kept a folder with all of my performance evaluations, just for fun and nostalgia. I still have a few of my 401k statements, mainly the last ones we got from each plan administrator. All of the data from each quarterly statement I posted into a spreadsheet as I got them. I kept my pension statements because they are still relevant.

They gave everyone a tote bag before we relocated to NJ and I have kept that and still use it often. Same for a soup mug a coworker gave me in a grab bag.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Even though I'm 1000 miles from our rentals and am using a manager to run the rentals I see no reason to toss professional tools or materials. Pro grade plumbing tools? They work on my house as well as the rentals. Snap-on wrenches from my wrench twisting days? Beat the hell out of Harbor Freight junk when I need them.

So maybe hands-on tradespeople never retire if they don't toss their tools?
Old 01-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #33

I was working at home and gave 2 weeks notice. My supervisor requested I stay one month, so for the last two weeks I hand shredded all my proprietary information (Blue Cross Blue Shield association) and all other documents. For my last day on the job, I hand delivered my security badge and laptop to the local office. Done.

I kept some things like the IBM backpack, the EDS global world paperweight and some Blue Shield jewelry. It will be 10 years at the end of June and I do not miss work at all.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Poll: But Have You Really Retired?

At one time or the other, I possessed several chip-in-Lucite thingys, for first 4k SRAM, first 1M DRAM, etc. (not necessarily first first, just first within Megaconglomocorp). Think I got a pin or tie bar for one anniversary.

All gone...

Though I did keep the Weber SS grill I got for twenty-five years of indentured servitude, but at least there are no company logos.

Have a couple of college texts, dealing with tube circuitry, but then my entire collection of books, manuals, pamphlets, literature, etc. would fit on six feet of shelf.

I have one small Rubbermaid tub with my life history in it. Stuff like my high school track ribbons and letters, old Boy Scout merit badges, patches from hiking and jamborees and such, and maybe a high school yearbook or two. I never look at it...

I'm still downsizing.

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #35

I still do a bit of part time consultancy which means I still have an office and I'm lazy. It took over a year before I got around to tossing stuff. About eighty percent went earlier this month and most of what's left will be shredded whenever I decide to stop doing part-time consulting (possibly excepting a few tombstones and the books/journals which I have contributed to).

I'm keeping LinkedIn - I find it a useful way to keep in touch with people.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

I still have most of it, but I've only been retired 3 weeks, so cut me a little slack!
Old 01-25-2015, 07:51 PM   #37

As a soon to retire person, this is an interesting thing to reflect on. I've been debating what to haul off out of my office. The biggest question is my potential consulting gig opportunities. I could consult with hazard reviews and LOPAs but the principal attraction would be the opportunity to travel. The money would be secondary to irrelevant. It would just have to justify the inconvenience of doing something on my semi-paid vacation trip. I haven't finalized my thoughts.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

DH was given a plaque by the Borough President of Brooklyn honoring his service so we have that up on our family room wall. There was a collage from his days as Headmaster, that's in the library room. He gave many books to the school when he left.

I am not fully retired yet but I am from my practice. I have 2 boxes of files. I think patient records are supposed to be kept for 7 years. But some say keep them forever in case there's a lawsuit. Still have some professional and other books but we got rid of about 1,000 when we moved. And we'll get rid of more when we move again. I'm not sure how many more years I will keep the files - it's been 5 years already.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-25-2015, 11:41 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I kept diplomas, plaques, and coins from the more interesting assignments. Sadly, as a memento of one of my most interesting jobs, I was given only a very cheap desk clock/pen set, which soon broke. So the only "keepsake" to remember that job by, was the nice promotion
Amethyst

I'm keeping my mementos of working in various places, but the manuals/books/paper are working their way into the recycle bins. Shredding where needed.
I did also keep my K&R book as it was my first love...
Old 01-25-2015, 11:42 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by iac1003 View Post
DH was given a plaque by the Borough President of Brooklyn honoring his service so we have that up on our family room wall. There was a collage from his days as Headmaster, that's in the library room. He gave many books to the school when he left.

I am not fully retired yet but I am from my practice. I have 2 boxes of files. I think patient records are supposed to be kept for 7 years. But some say keep them forever in case there's a lawsuit. Still have some professional and other books but we got rid of about 1,000 when we moved. And we'll get rid of more when we move again. I'm not sure how many more years I will keep the files - it's been 5 years already.
Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Hope you shred/burn the records so we don't hear about you on the news