Poll: But Have You Really Retired?

After retiring, it took X yrs to toss most/all my professional materials & tools

• most/all gone in 3 months or less

Votes: 52 46.0%
  • most/all gone in 1 year or less

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • most/all gone in 3 years or less

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • most/all gone in 5 years or less

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I still have most/all of it

Votes: 24 21.2%

• Total voters
I am only semi-retired by my definition. I already discontinued my academic memberships and quitted all editorships, trashed many reprints of my papers and a lot of other's research papers.

I used to think a professor should bring all his research stuffs into his grave.

After my full retirement, I will not be able to (or want to) come back. It will be a one way ticket.

There wasn't an option for tossing most stuff before retirement so I picked 3 months or less after retirement.

I am not retired yet and have zero w*rk stuff at home. I tossed all career and j*b related stuff last year when we moved. I will only be bringing home the personal stuff that is in my office when I leave.

My target is to RE this June.

I have already begun to de-clutter over 30yrs of professional tomes, off to the used book store for trade credit, or to the bi-monthly VVA curbside box. I may save a few things I've designed over the years, but this is the end of Life 1.0 and the beginning of Life 2.0. I'll be allowing all my professional certs & memberships expire also. I have no emotional misgivings about any of this.

OTOH, I've saved just about everything from my military experience, several closets of uniforms, memorabilia, reference manuals & publications. I really enjoyed what I did and found it much more rewarding that my civilian w*rk experience. But, does anyone care about Soviet Forces in Europe, East German flags & banners, or topo maps of Germany? I should pitch that stuff also.

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far, you're an inspiration.

_B

Kept most of my flying stuff from the Navy (Helmet, Pressure Suit, NATOPS manual, etc) but got rid of all my post-service civilian job stuff (UNIX systems, PERL, AIX manuals) the week I retired.

I found it difficult to make the decision to give up my license and professional memberships because it took so much hard work to get them in the first place. The first year after ER I did some consulting, but after that ended I could not justify the cost of paying the licence, professional memberships and insurance and fulfilling the continuing education requirements. I found I was ready to give it up during the second year of ER. I am so grateful to be finished with all the hassle.

My DH just retired (for real this time) this past Friday. He tried retiring last year, but the guy who replaced him quit without notice - so he was called back to finish up the two projects he had worked on. His architecture license is up the end of the month... We talked about it and he realized he would have to do continuing ed and pay the license renewal for about an extra 6 weeks of work. He decided to give notice for real this time. He's letting his license lapse. His employer was given plenty of notice and knows his license situation.

I believe him this time when he says he's retired. Ironically it was exactly 1 year to the day from when he retired last time... only to be called back to work. But now he can't seal drawings nor interface with OSHPD (state agency in charge of hospital facilities)... so he's really done.

I have 2.8 years left until retirement, and I'm already getting rid of my professional stuff. I'm about 1/4 the way through and have a schedule a timed out to have everything gone by the big day. But now the office is replacing the carpet this March and they want everyone to move their stuff out, including shredding and pitching unwanted stuff. So I think I'll get rid of everything now. All the current and essential stuff is electronic now, so nothing in hard copy is worth keeping anyway.

I threw out all my computer books out the 1st week I retired.

I voted I threw everything away, but I didn't. I kept my name plate. Trouble is, I don't remember where it is...and I might need it to remind me who I am one day. :blink:

On DH's last day of work, he filled a duffel bag full of clothing...a jacket, shirts, dress pants and a robe, then gave it to a homeless guy he always bought a paper from about a block from his office.

He's kept a few things, but I imagine over time he'll get rid of most of them.

I've been retired for about nine months.

I brought back one small box of personal stuff from the office, which now sits somewhere in the basement, with the exception of a couple of useful items (e.g. daybook I contnued to use 'til year end, a conference laptop bag and a couple of vendor "swag" bags that I use for the beach or the gym). Unlike some others here, I have no significant work-related library, professional licensing, skills maintenance or on-going consulting issues. I am fully retired from that career and on with whatever new things life has to offer.

I've kept e-mail back-ups and contacts directory from work for the occasional continuity issue that comes up - e.g. forwarding service inquiries, etc. But these get fewer and farther between as time goes on. I had good relationships with those who might contact me, and have been glad to help put people together with the new folks where helpful.

I've been pleasantly surpised at how, pretty much from the get-go, I haven't felt any work-related identity hole to fill. I noticed recently, however, that when I meet new people and the "what do you do" question inevitably comes up, as rule I still mention that I retired earlier this year and the conversation often shifts to "from where and what did you do there", as if I still identify with that, which I guess I do more than I'd like to admit. So the work-related baggage I may still have around is more psychological than physical.

I guess I need to keep doing interesting things and eventually I'll start to answer that question differently (and in the present tense).

Hope you shred/burn the records so we don't hear about you on the news :facepalm:

Hasn't happened yet in almost 30 years of practice so I don't expect it to happen now! At least I hope not.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Interesting question. I got rid of most of this stuff at the 14 month mark after retiring. I had early retired and extensively downsized almost immediately and within about 3 months of ER started what would become a 10 month long trip abroad to Southeast Asia and then South America (with a one month USA stopover in between, so 9 months spent traveling). I just went back and looked at my email from that time, and within one week of getting back from South America at the end of this journey, I had started an Amazon bookstore and basically sold almost everything in a few weeks. I think I had kept most of my college homeworks until then, also, but I threw them all away at that point. I also sold a car I had been keeping in the USA. I had decided that retirement was for me!

When I retired in 2007, the S&P was about 1450. When I sold everything in 2008, it was about 1270. Now, if I had known the S&P 500 was going to drop into the 600's in just a few months, I probably wouldn't have been so enthusiastic about getting rid of *everything*, which is what I did.

However, absolutely zero regrets now.

The day my retirement hit everything was disposed of. I occasionally find something lying around and it immediately hits the circular file.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

A ceiling collapse/ water damage aided my preretirement decluttering. Clogged roof drains caused storm damage that destroyed almost everything in my office about a year before retirement. I tossed everything from my office into a few dumpsters. Furniture, files, everything. Luckily I had my work laptop at home. I moved into a cube with only 1 desk drawer of stuff remaining. Made it real easy to walk out the door with nothing on my last day.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I left almost everything behind when I left on my last day. I had a stack of binders and books at home that were all job related, that I took down and dropped of a couple of days after I retired. I knew when I retired that I would positively never need any of that stuff again....ever! After spending 32 years in that field, I'd had enough to last me a lifetime. I never looked back! :greetings10:

....I did keep my coffee mug though!

I placed my service awards on top of my garbage pail and placed the pail right outside my office door. My office was in the most traveled hallway in the building. I wanted to make a statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom