Poll: But Have You Really Retired?

After retiring, it took X yrs to toss most/all my professional materials & tools

• most/all gone in 3 months or less

Votes: 52 46.0%
  • most/all gone in 1 year or less

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • most/all gone in 3 years or less

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • most/all gone in 5 years or less

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I still have most/all of it

Votes: 24 21.2%

• Total voters
I still have college textbooks from 30+ years ago. I last referred to one a few years ago to help a niece with a physics problem. Does that mean I am still a college student?

I still have college textbooks from 30+ years ago. I last referred to one a few years ago to help a niece with a physics problem. Does that mean I am still a college student?
No, it means you are a hoarder. :LOL: Toss that stuff out!

[/B] In my case I have quite a few books, binders of training materials that I kept (ISO 9000, Six Sigma/Lean, HR/Environmental Regs, etc.), some paper files and most of my PC files. I haven't thrown away much of it, but I think it might be time.
These are the things that I toss right away.

I started dumping reference materials, articles, books, etc well before I fired. Probably started several years before when I knew what path i wanted to take. However, if I needed to reference it again, for most stuff I can find an electronic copy online.

I've kept copies of my files for anything I authored like papers, software, presentations, etc (academic stuff not industrial). These are hidden in deep in my home directory where I never look at it (unless someone emails me about prior work).

Last edited:
I still have most of it. Really wasn't much stuff. A few books and licenses came home. I threw almost everything else out. I left a few things in my desk because I didn't have time to clean it out on my last day. I went in to visit a month or so ago and my stuff was still in my desk. I'm still on the payroll for one project that I've worked 28 hours on in the last 10 months, so I guess that explains why they haven't told me to clean out my desk. I have taken the first step - I erased all past emails and deleted my work email account from my home computer and iPad.

I worked from home for a few years before I ERed, so I still have a few CDs with software I used for work. Some of that software, however, is still useful even 11 years after I last did the telecommute thing.

I took home a ton of scrap paper with the back side blank to use for printing stuff. Took me 4 years to use it up.

I kept a folder with all of my performance evaluations, just for fun and nostalgia. I still have a few of my 401k statements, mainly the last ones we got from each plan administrator. All of the data from each quarterly statement I posted into a spreadsheet as I got them. I kept my pension statements because they are still relevant.

They gave everyone a tote bag before we relocated to NJ and I have kept that and still use it often. Same for a soup mug a coworker gave me in a grab bag.

Even though I'm 1000 miles from our rentals and am using a manager to run the rentals I see no reason to toss professional tools or materials. Pro grade plumbing tools? They work on my house as well as the rentals. Snap-on wrenches from my wrench twisting days? Beat the hell out of Harbor Freight junk when I need them.

So maybe hands-on tradespeople never retire if they don't toss their tools?

I was working at home and gave 2 weeks notice. My supervisor requested I stay one month, so for the last two weeks I hand shredded all my proprietary information (Blue Cross Blue Shield association) and all other documents. For my last day on the job, I hand delivered my security badge and laptop to the local office. Done.

I kept some things like the IBM backpack, the EDS global world paperweight and some Blue Shield jewelry. It will be 10 years at the end of June and I do not miss work at all.

At one time or the other, I possessed several chip-in-Lucite thingys, for first 4k SRAM, first 1M DRAM, etc. (not necessarily first first, just first within Megaconglomocorp). Think I got a pin or tie bar for one anniversary.

All gone...

Though I did keep the Weber SS grill I got for twenty-five years of indentured servitude, but at least there are no company logos.

Have a couple of college texts, dealing with tube circuitry, but then my entire collection of books, manuals, pamphlets, literature, etc. would fit on six feet of shelf.

I have one small Rubbermaid tub with my life history in it. Stuff like my high school track ribbons and letters, old Boy Scout merit badges, patches from hiking and jamborees and such, and maybe a high school yearbook or two. I never look at it...

I'm still downsizing.

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
I still do a bit of part time consultancy which means I still have an office and I'm lazy. It took over a year before I got around to tossing stuff. About eighty percent went earlier this month and most of what's left will be shredded whenever I decide to stop doing part-time consulting (possibly excepting a few tombstones and the books/journals which I have contributed to).

I'm keeping LinkedIn - I find it a useful way to keep in touch with people.

As a soon to retire person, this is an interesting thing to reflect on. I've been debating what to haul off out of my office. The biggest question is my potential consulting gig opportunities. I could consult with hazard reviews and LOPAs but the principal attraction would be the opportunity to travel. The money would be secondary to irrelevant. It would just have to justify the inconvenience of doing something on my semi-paid vacation trip. I haven't finalized my thoughts.

DH was given a plaque by the Borough President of Brooklyn honoring his service so we have that up on our family room wall. There was a collage from his days as Headmaster, that's in the library room. He gave many books to the school when he left.

I am not fully retired yet but I am from my practice. I have 2 boxes of files. I think patient records are supposed to be kept for 7 years. But some say keep them forever in case there's a lawsuit. Still have some professional and other books but we got rid of about 1,000 when we moved. And we'll get rid of more when we move again. I'm not sure how many more years I will keep the files - it's been 5 years already.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I kept diplomas, plaques, and coins from the more interesting assignments. Sadly, as a memento of one of my most interesting jobs, I was given only a very cheap desk clock/pen set, which soon broke. So the only "keepsake" to remember that job by, was the nice promotion:dance:
Amethyst

I'm keeping my mementos of working in various places, but the manuals/books/paper are working their way into the recycle bins. Shredding where needed.
I did also keep my K&R book as it was my first love... :flowers:

DH was given a plaque by the Borough President of Brooklyn honoring his service so we have that up on our family room wall. There was a collage from his days as Headmaster, that's in the library room. He gave many books to the school when he left.

I am not fully retired yet but I am from my practice. I have 2 boxes of files. I think patient records are supposed to be kept for 7 years. But some say keep them forever in case there's a lawsuit. Still have some professional and other books but we got rid of about 1,000 when we moved. And we'll get rid of more when we move again. I'm not sure how many more years I will keep the files - it's been 5 years already.
Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Hope you shred/burn the records so we don't hear about you on the news :facepalm:

Not yet retired but since I am already throwing away stuff I know I won't bring any work material home with me. Some trinkets that coworkers have given me and personal pictures will be the only things that come home.

My wife has worked in ~10 years and still has old notes etc in the garage. Once I retire they will be finding their way to the recycle. The technology that they are for is now obsolete :D

I didn't have a lot of tech stuff but did ditch most of the books within a year. Have folder with news clippings and a nice collage of them my colleagues gave me when I got tossed out in 95. Recently got renewal for PE license and having run out of continuing ed credits, opted for inactive status. They returned it as I didn't realize that still cost $75. I don't know why but after a few minutes of debate I sent the check. However, it will be the last.

I still have a lot of files on laptop that I archived upon leaving last long time gig. I do find it humorous and invigorating to sometimes open it up and see what I'm missing! (not!)

Recently got renewal for PE license and having run out of continuing ed credits, opted for inactive status. They returned it as I didn't realize that still cost $75. I don't know why but after a few minutes of debate I sent the check. However, it will be the last.
This is probably my biggest question mark. I have enough credits for my 2015 renewal and only need 1 hr of ethics to have 2016 covered. Dropping the PE is something that can't be undone but I really shouldn't have any need for it. It seems a shame to waste the renewal fee. I think it will be easier after I really retire and totally purge the things that were important at work out of my system.

Everything is still on track for 27 Feb 2015. :dance:

Not yet retired but since I am already throwing away stuff I know I won't bring any work material home with me.

+1
Retire in two months (but only because boss asked me to stay an extra 3 weeks, and I like her, so I agreed). Threw just about everything away last year*. Even thinking of getting rid of my diplomas. Linkedin was a pleasure to get rid of over two years ago. I detest that whole "networking" thing, about as distasteful as hearing business buzzwords.

*I do have a lot of stuff stored electronically on a hotmail account, though, and it came in handy just last week when an old mentor asked for help. Other than last week, never look at the stuff.

This is probably my biggest question mark. I have enough credits for my 2015 renewal and only need 1 hr of ethics to have 2016 covered. Dropping the PE is something that can't be undone but I really shouldn't have any need for it. It seems a shame to waste the renewal fee. I think it will be easier after I really retire and totally purge the things that were important at work out of my system.

Everything is still on track for 27 Feb 2015. :dance:

I found it difficult to make the decision to give up my license and professional memberships because it took so much hard work to get them in the first place. The first year after ER I did some consulting, but after that ended I could not justify the cost of paying the licence, professional memberships and insurance and fulfilling the continuing education requirements. I found I was ready to give it up during the second year of ER. I am so grateful to be finished with all the hassle.

Retired last May. Over the years I gave away/threw out all the hardcover editions of the annual journals except the two which include me in pictures. (The material is all available on-line). Will probably never throw out the certificate I received when admitted to the Society (took 8 years of exams to get there) or the 2 plaques commemorating my terms on the Board. OTOH, I suppose I could get rid of my last 2 college texts: "Matrices and Linear Transformations" and "Probability and Statistics for Engineers and Scientists". But then I think my 80-something Dad still has "The Making, Shaping and Treating of Steel".

Sometimes professional books are worth keeping because they're cool just as historical items. I have a whole bookcase full of them and love to dip into them from time to time.

A number of mine go back quite a ways into the 18th century (although most are more modern reprints), and nearly everything from the early 20th century on is an original. Great fun to notice how some things have changed, others have not, and some have changed back and forth several times!

+1
Retire in two months (but only because boss asked me to stay an extra 3 weeks, and I like her, so I agreed). Threw just about everything away last year*. Even thinking of getting rid of my diplomas. Linkedin was a pleasure to get rid of over two years ago. I detest that whole "networking" thing, about as distasteful as hearing business buzzwords.

*I do have a lot of stuff stored electronically on a hotmail account, though, and it came in handy just last week when an old mentor asked for help. Other than last week, never look at the stuff.
I agreed to stay until the end of February because of my boss. In my case it was 6 weeks. I dropped Linkedin about 4 years ago because I was sick of getting constant job offers.

My diploma is sitting in the bottom of a drawer. I never got it framed. My PE certificate is in a cheap frame. I think the certificate will go in the bottom of a drawer. It's the same drawer that has copies of some magazine articles I wrote, a patent and technical paper. All of these are ancient history. It may be something to put out at my funeral :cool: but other than that they're useless. They might soon find their way to the trash after I detox. I also have most of my projects on electronic media. They don't take up that much space and I'm sure technological obsolecence will take care of this if I don't toss.

My only residual thought is will I want to do any consulting? If it involves something interesting and/or travel I'd like to do, I would probably be interested. If it was a longterm contract assignment in Houston, I know I'm not.

I found it difficult to make the decision to give up my license and professional memberships because it took so much hard work to get them in the first place. The first year after ER I did some consulting, but after that ended I could not justify the cost of paying the licence, professional memberships and insurance and fulfilling the continuing education requirements. I found I was ready to give it up during the second year of ER. I am so grateful to be finished with all the hassle.

Yes, that's the thing that pulls me back. It can't be undone unless you take the tests again, and that ain't gonna happen. DS is a chem e and never needed it until he started working in consulting where it is essential for advancement (he's working more civil than anything else); he had to take EI and PE about 10 years after graduation - reviewing for the EI was the worst. I saw several municipal civil types finally get the PE w/o the degree (an option that seems to be disappearing) and admired the commitment. If you get a degree and take the EI after that, then after a few years of qualifying work and a bit of study the PE isn't that tough. Delaying the EI after all the basic maths, thermo, etc you don't use in real life is the toughie. So watching all those struggle places a good deal of value on it. That and the fact it was somewhat of a badge of accomplishment honored in the field. Throw a brick at me but I get a chuckle at some of the real estate folks with about ten initials after their names! Really? Although I had one guy who kept wanting to put PE and MBA after his name! Ya out there S:confused:?

Back
Top Bottom