Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: After retiring, it took X yrs to toss most/all my professional materials & tools
most/all gone in 3 months or less 52 46.02%
most/all gone in 1 year or less 23 20.35%
most/all gone in 3 years or less 7 6.19%
most/all gone in 5 years or less 7 6.19%
I still have most/all of it 24 21.24%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: But Have You Really Retired?
Old 01-25-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: But Have You Really Retired?

Won't apply to everyone, and I am sure some will debate the premise, but it may be one good indicator or when we're mentally retired.

If you had a lot of professional materials or tools that you kept when you retired, how long did it take for you to finally let go and throw them away?
In my case I have quite a few books, binders of training materials that I kept (ISO 9000, Six Sigma/Lean, HR/Environmental Regs, etc.), some paper files and most of my PC files. I haven't thrown away much of it, but I think it might be time. Even if I ever do go back to work, it won't be in that career and my knowledge and materials eventually goes out of date (probably already).

Anyway, just another indicator, not meant to be "definitive test."

For some, need and packrat tendencies may work at cross purposes...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Interesting that you should mention it. I'm just coming onto 8 years and I'm pitching everything w*rk related that I kept "just in case".
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I thought this was going to be about continuing to do some form of work (start a business, work part-time, consult, etc.) after formally retiring!

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Ditched most of my stuff after about 3-4 years.
Coming up on 10 years now and thinking about closing my LinkedIn account.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Most everything is gone including useless anniversary awards, etc. It helps when we moved a few months after RE so it was a no brainer to clean out the stuff that has no real meaning to me.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Ditched most of my stuff after about 3-4 years.
Coming up on 10 years now and thinking about closing my LinkedIn account.
+1. I just dropped LinkedIn myself after 3 yrs, 7 mos. Wasn't hard to push the "button" though.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1. I just did that myself after 3 yrs, 7 mos. Wasn't hard to push the "button" though.
Yeah, but I use it to keep track of former employees/friends...but losing interest in their lives more and more.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have my MSSE training materials on CD's. I will pitch these when CDs become obsolete. I did throw away all the scary DODAAF diagrams, CORE and LINGO programs, etc. Even though I'll never work on such things again, I am very glad I endured the training and discipline of systems engineering.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Not sure how to respond to the poll. I brought some work-associated stuff home in a box and immediately stuck it in the attic. Didn't see or think of it again until I came across it while we were doing some cleaning out a few years later. I dumped it all into the trash.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I brought my awards and plaques home from work and they immediately went in the trash. I thought it would be rude to leave it in the garbage can in my office.

I kept a couple of computer books for historical reasons ("8088/8086 Primer" and the "MS-DOS Encyclopedia"). I wished I had kept my college text book, "An Intro to Data Processing".
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #11

did not do the poll... but will throw in my 2 cents... not really worth much. I don't expect to throw out certain portions of my technical stuff. I expect I will keep most of my electro magnetic books for a long time. I hope to get back to writing some analytic codes and design some radios (for amateur radio or other hobby). I also expect to do some FPGA design for radio/sensor processing. ISO... already gone. 6 sigma.... not real useful for quantity 1... I will use the statistics maybe in designing, but the credentialed materials... gone.

Most of the work I do for companies stay with the company. Most of the classes taken while on the job is going or will soon be going unless it also relates to a hobby.

ER 5 weeks and counting.... impatiently
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #12

Ten years ago when I retired I took off my wrist watch and haven't worn one since.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:45 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

There wasn't an option for tossing most stuff before retirement so I picked 3 months or less after retirement.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I donated all my techie books to the local library. I only kept the personnel records pertinent to obtaining my deferred FERS retirement. All else gone within a year of FIRE. Good riddance.
I have transferred my techie skills to my very favorite hobby...growing green things for food and pleasure of watching them grow. My online research reading is concentrated on horticultural material and container growing systems.
I have recently discovered a new tech area (new to me) that is fun to read about and follow...3D printing systems. Very cool stuff.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not sure how to respond to the poll. I brought some work-associated stuff home in a box and immediately stuck it in the attic. Didn't see or think of it again until I came across it while we were doing some cleaning out a few years later. I dumped it all into the trash.
That's exactly what I did. Forgot about it for almost 5 years, then got rid of it when we got rid of most things and sold the house.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
There wasn't an option for tossing most stuff before retirement so I picked 3 months or less after retirement.
+1
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Mostly, I parted with in the first could of months (may have been days ). But I did hold a few "just in case" stuff like a couple very good textbooks.

Of anniversary gifts from megacorp, most I don't even know where they are except for on clock/barometer which I have in my living. Not for w*rk memories, but it's a pretty good clock!
Old 01-25-2015, 01:14 PM   #18

After 4 years I've still got a box of books related to industrial engineering and ergonomics. I thought this was the area I would most like "consult" in but it never happened. I should throw that stuff away. As soon as I need that box and space in the garage it will go.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Also tough to reply. Almost none of the stuff related to my last j*b even made it home. I have a few items from the previous job that I will keep forever (it's fun to see your name in print). But most all of that is gone as well.

However, a lot of the materials that I used during the teacher phase of my career still has potential use in my current hobby/side gig. Plus I think it is buried in the closet since our last move and I haven't been motivated to dig it out just to throw it away.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:40 PM   #20

It took me a while because there was a possibility that I might go back if I could find an employer that needed the skill set. Bear in mind that I enjoyed the work, it was traffic and management issues that made me retire so given a good environment I wasn't inherently opposed to going back. Finally when it was clear that everything was obsolete I threw it all out.