Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: My home represents this percentage of the total computed in Step 1 (in the first post
0-10% 92 26.44%
10-20% 132 37.93%
20-30% 65 18.68%
30-40% 24 6.90%
40-50% 18 5.17%
>50% 7 2.01%
I rent or do not have a main home 10 2.87%
These poll choices are terrible! None fit me, but I wanted to participate. 0 0%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2016, 10:21 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choices View Post
About 16%, but this is Denver so it changes.....
I understand. Portfolio values change too, as we saw in 2008-2009. This computation is just for today and might be really different later on.

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

22% Fairfax / Arlington County line in NoVA.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #23

24% (no mortgage)
Old 09-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Less than 5% and no mortgage
Old 09-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #25

9.016% here......those rolled up newspapers in the middle of the road are getting pricier.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:59 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

About 10% using the equity on the main house and our money in the market. Not accounting for the F&C second home or the rentals (which are worth about double what we have in the market. Also not accounting for cash in savings accounts or loans or property contracts we receive payments on, which are substantial. I guess our ratio speaks to living in a cheap house we borrowed against and not having much in the market.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

16% and live in PHX... Our house is probably 2x what we really need, but we really love it ... Will probably live it until we hit age 65 or decide to become snow birds...
Old 09-21-2016, 11:04 AM   #28

37% by the way you suggested. Our rental property is on the same lot as our primary - but I subtracted out the value it adds (compared to neighbors with the same home size).

It's similar if I include the rental value in the equation... 40%.

Doesn't matter to me - house is paid off. It's not a mansion (2000sf, 50 year old tract home.).... But I like where I live, like my neighbors, like my old tract house. And it just happens to be the house I grew up in.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:07 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

The same house. The lowest for me was Sept 2010, right before I paid off the mortgage. It was around 9%. Today, just a bit below 20%.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:08 AM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
37% by the way you suggested. Our rental property is on the same lot as our primary - but I subtracted out the value it adds (compared to neighbors with the same home size).

It's similar if I include the rental value in the equation... 40%.

Doesn't matter to me - house is paid off. It's not a mansion (2000sf, 50 year old tract home.).... But I like where I live, like my neighbors, like my old tract house. And it just happens to be the house I grew up in.
But remember, the whole point of the poll is fun! Californians with paid off homes are going to have a big percentage when computed this way, and there is nothing wrong with that. The numbers are fairly meaningless, especially to those with additional income and properties that I excluded in my attempts to avoid defining net worth. Hopefully the computation will make you appreciate your lovely family home even that much more.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:08 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

6.1% - No mortgage. Downsized 5 years ago (before FIRE'd)
Old 09-21-2016, 11:09 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

18.5%, but we live in the San Francisco North Bay, where the median home price is now almost $600K.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #33

House equity and investments are apples and oranges for us, because the equity isn't taxed when we choose to use it for something. But investments would cost us a lot in taxes if we sold them, so I usually discount the value of investments by about a third.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #34

Right around 30% and falling.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
House equity and investments are apples and oranges for us
I even included a category for possible use by those who feel like you do about it....
"These poll choices are terrible! None fit me, but I wanted to participate." Another option would be to just regard the poll as fun, make the computation described in post #1 of this thread, and select that category. Whatever seems most pleasant to you!

Old 09-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

We're 21% based on the instructions, so that's how I answered the poll. It's 18% if I include rentals as part of investments, which is how I view them. We also have 2 pension annuities. It's 14% if I count the 2 lump sum options that we didn't take.

The 2 of us are still living in the very large family dream house. When we downsize in a few years, it will be 11%, down from 21% based on the instructions. That's a combination of smaller house and larger portfolio... assuming DW agrees with my downsize target. Based on the Zillow links she keeps sending me, we are not yet aligned on the meaning of "downsize."

AA: 45% stock, 35% bonds, 15% real estate, 5% cash
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Renter here

Incidentally, if I would buy my current residence I'd end up with it being 45% (roughly) of my investment portfolio.

By several definitions that would make me house poor I guess.
Another renter here and surprised we're such a small minority. Zillow shows an equivalent condo across the street listed at ~5% of my taxable plus tax-deferred portfolios. Living small and not planning to upgrade.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkelblau View Post
Another renter here and surprised we're such a small minority.
I suspect that some renters are not reading the thread, due to the thread title.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #39

And that is what I did. I regard all polls as fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I Another option would be to just regard the poll as fun, make the computation described in post #1 of this thread, and select that category. Whatever seems most pleasant to you!
Old 09-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
And that is what I did. I regard all polls as fun
I like them too. I especially like them when they aren't taken too seriously because honestly, a poll like this is fairly meaningless except for entertainment value.