Poll: Compare value of your residence to investment portfolio

My home represents this percentage of the total computed in Step 1 (in the first post

• 0-10%

Votes: 93 26.6%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 133 38.0%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 65 18.6%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 24 6.9%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 18 5.1%
  • >50%

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • I rent or do not have a main home

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • These poll choices are terrible! None fit me, but I wanted to participate.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

W2R

Moderator Emeritus
This poll is just for fun. It should make the San Franciscans and those with a big pension feel like they live in the Taj Mahal. :D

Step 1: Add the value of your investment portfolio to the equity you have in your main home. Do not include rentals, pensions, SS, additional homes, cars/boats/planes/RV's, annuities.

Step 2: Figure out the percentage of that total that your equity in your main home represents.

If you do not have a main home, or if you rent, there's an option for you, too.

Renter here :)

Incidentally, if I would buy my current residence I'd end up with it being 45% (roughly) of my investment portfolio.

By several definitions that would make me house poor I guess.

9.6%, not counting rental or vacation property. No mortgage on home.

I didn't include NPV of pension, just included our investments.
Good. I just wanted to compare investments to home equity, without getting into the net worth definition which can be such a hornet's nest. The poll is just for fun, not to prove anything whatsoever.

Less than 7%, just the way we like it. We'd be willing to spend more on a house, but the ongoing costs (prop taxes, insurance, utilities, maintenance costs, and/or COL) are likely to be higher as well - year after year after year. The latter is why we've always chosen to be 'house rich.' Odds are we'll recover the purchase cost whenever we sell, but those ongoing costs just eat away at net worth, and you never get that back. YMMV

9.6%, not counting rental or vacation property. No mortgage on home.
Very nice! I don't have a mortgage either, and mine comes to about 14%. That's for my new "dream home". My prior home was about 12%.

Last edited:
I was under 10% based on your instructions. Would have been about 20% if I included all personal use properties and the PV of my pension. Based on previous posts on this subject the norm seems to be in the 15-25% range at least for retirees.

Also important would be your stage of life, ie still accumulating or retired. Heck when I was just starting out my home equity was more than 100% of my net worth.

I was under 10% based on your instructions. Would have been about 20% if I included all personal use properties and the PV of my pension. Based on previous posts on this subject the norm seems to be in the 15-25% range at least for retirees.

Also important would be your stage of life, ie still accumulating or retired. Heck when I was just starting out my home equity was more than 100% of my net worth.

Under 10% is terrific! I agree, stage in life makes a huge difference as does source of income since some people rely on a huge pension and don't have much of an investment portfolio.

My weird instructions were designed to get around all the usual wrangling about the definition of net worth. Hopefully they are extremely clear, which was my objective. The poll is not meant to produce any great truths about retirees, so much as to just be something fun to do on a Wednesday morning.

How do I count the land that surrounds my home? I could probably just sell the home along with a small piece of the land but have always considered it "as one". The land is worth a lot more than the house and say maybe one or two acres with it.

12.5%---will be down sizing and moving soon. Expecting to be around 8% when that happens.

How do I count the land that surrounds my home? I could probably just sell the home along with a small piece of the land but have always considered it "as one". The land is worth a lot more than the house and say maybe one or two acres with it.

Do not include rentals, pensions, SS, additional homes, cars/boats/planes/RV's, annuities.
Unless it is presently part of the same real estate property, I'd say don't count it. For example, my house is on a 50'x120' lot and that is how it is viewed by the tax assessor, official real estate records, and so on. I'd include that lot, but if I also owned an adjacent lot I wouldn't include that land.

About 16%, but this is Denver so it changes.....
I understand. Portfolio values change too, as we saw in 2008-2009. This computation is just for today and might be really different later on. :)

Less than 5% and no mortgage

Last edited:
9.016% here......those rolled up newspapers in the middle of the road are getting pricier.

Back
Top Bottom