Poll: Did You Retire in your Most Expensive Home?

Was/is your forever home INFLATION ADJUSTED...

• The most expensive home/homes we’ve ever owned

Votes: 74 45.7%
  • The same or less expensive home/homes, or the same home (didn’t move)

Votes: 88 54.3%

• Total voters
I am single, and my CPA said I could deduct it. I have a $300K 30 year mortgage that’s 18 mo old so yes, lots of interest. But better than selling investments to pay it off. Also had to take the first RMD from my IRA in 2018 so extra income.

Well, we retired to a house that was half again as big, on half again as much land - but for half the price.

How? Just move from LA to New Mexico... Love it here!

For those who traded up $ wise for your forever home/homes, any regrets?

We went up, but indirectly. We sold our house that we lived in our entire professional lives, in Seattle, and bought an equal-priced house in Hawaii for our retirement home. BUT, we also allocated $200k to upgrade the Hawaii house (which we have done), which places it as the most valuable property we have owned, inflation adjusted.

We have no regrets. These are our final years and for me it is a matter of enjoying that time. But it was not a big financial stretch for us to do this and if it were, my opinion might be different. We more or less prioritized where we spent money when we retired based on how important things were to us, and for us, house/location was really high in priority. New cars were way down in priority.

Back
Top Bottom