Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you keep your checkbook balanced?
Yes. Balance it to the penny. 82 54.67%
Yes. But I round (for example, to the dollar) 9 6.00%
Yes. I have some other system. 11 7.33%
No. I just depend on the bank statements. 24 16.00%
No. I don't want to fuss with the task of balancing. 24 16.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do you balance your checkbook?
Old 06-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Do you balance your checkbook?

Do you keep your checkbook balanced?

Back when, I used to always balance it using Quicken (when that was what Quicken mostly did). Since then I no longer use Quicken, but still balance my checkbook. I do it the old fashioned way, (pencil, calculator).

I did find a nice spreadsheet that pretty much does the same thing as the pencil/calculator method. Here it is if you are interested:

Checkbook Balancer spreadsheet | Uncommon Way to Wealth by Sean Payne

My funny way of balancing a long time ago was to have two checkbooks. When one would get out of balance with too many checks on it, I'd use the other checkbook to let the first one idle until all the checks cleared. How's that for making more work for myself
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I still reconcile my checking account monthly. I have a simple program on Excel that has worked for me. It generally takes about 10 minutes each month to get it done. If I did not do this I guarantee you that some evil would visit my checking account and mess with my working cash. Mostly it's just to make sure that I sleep well.

The humorous thing about this is that I seldom visit my VG account that includes many times that amount of $.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

No, I don't balance my checkbook. I haven't for years. I probably use my checkbook once or twice a year now, if that.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

None of those answers are correct for me so I couldn't vote.

No, I don't balance a checkbook.
No, I don't just "depend on the bank statements".
No, my reasons for not balancing are not that I "don't want the fuss".

I view my checking account online every single day. That's lots of fuss but I prefer knowing to blissful ignorance.

And I don't just trust the bank. I check to see if the total is reasonable given the many different types of deposits and withdrawals. I do mental arithmetic and usually check to the cent, always at least to the dollar. They are always right but old habits die hard.

Doing daily mental arithmetic has the added benefit of being a good mental exercise too, by the way - - thinking of another thread here on staying mentally sharp. First I subtract the balance from the previous day's balance (kept from day to day in my Excel retirement/financial file), saying to myself something like, "Oh! I paid out $62.87 yesterday". Then I go into the account details and add up the withdrawals, subtract the deposits, and verify that.

Almost all of my bills are paid by automatic deductions and I check these using mental arithmetic just like checks or any other withdrawal. I probably write fewer than a dozen checks per year. I don't use a check register. I do watch to make sure each check clears.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
The humorous thing about this is that I seldom visit my VG account that includes many times that amount of $.
Same here. It's a lot easier to focus on a penny or two than on the dumpsters of dollars...

Balancing the checkbook also helps me verify that the autopayment bills are reasonable amounts.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What's a check book? Why would anyone still use them, that's why we have the internet.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Same here. It's a lot easier to focus on a penny or two than on the dumpsters of dollars...
I go to Vanguard about once every month or so, to see what my dividends were and check the balance compared with my spreadsheet computation of it.

However, I don't like to go to Vanguard too often because it just seems safer not to, even though they have a secure log-in. I also update and run Norton and Malwarebytes before going there each time, and use the Windows "On screen keyboard" when I go there, in the (probably futile) hope of perhaps evading keyloggers should I acquire one that was undetected. You know me well enough by now to know that I try to be pretty cautious about nearly everything (yes, I fasten the deadbolt every time I enter my home even for a second, and I never leave my car unlocked, either). You may envision Scrooge McDuck standing on top of his pile of gold coins with a shotgun...

Old 06-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
What's a check book? Why would anyone still use them, that's why we have the internet.
I have a lot of my bills set up for autopay. There's about a two day delay for when I see transactions show up on my online banking access. Plus, there are still some checks I write the old fashioned way. For me, I just can't keep track of it right unless I do the monthly balancing.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I go to Vanguard about once every month or so, to see what my dividends were and check the balance compared with my spreadsheet computation of it.

However, I don't like to go to Vanguard too often because it just seems safer not to, even though they have a secure log-in. I also update and run Norton and Malwarebytes before going there each time, and use the Windows "On screen keyboard" when I go there, in the (probably futile) hope of perhaps evading keyloggers should I acquire one that was undetected. You know me well enough by now to know that I try to be pretty cautious about nearly everything (yes, I fasten the deadbolt every time I enter my home even for a second, and I never leave my car unlocked, either). You may envision Scrooge McDuck standing on top of his pile of gold coins with a shotgun...
I go to Vanguard several times a week, probably just out of habit more than anything else. About safety, a time or two, I thought, someone must have broke into my account and started draining out my balances. Then realized, no it was just the market tanking
Old 06-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I go to Vanguard several times a week, probably just out of habit more than anything else. About safety, a time or two, I thought, someone must have broke into my account and started draining out my balances. Then realized, no it was just the market tanking
Believe me, I know the feeling!

Old 06-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #11

Quote:
I view my checking account online every single day. That's lots of fuss but I prefer knowing to blissful ignorance.
This is a good practice for bank accounts and investment accounts. Every day might be a little excessive but a couple times a week is certainly prudent. I look online at checking, investment accounts and credit cards at least weekly to look for errors or fraudulent transactions.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I have no interest in online banking but I do balance my checkbook to the penny every month. I have over the years figured some shortcuts to minimize the nuisance of outstanding checks. Once in a while I call the bank's automated account access # to get info about a recent deposit or check/payment.

Because most of my payments are electronic ones, I write only about 2-3 checks per month. I use cash for most of my day-to-day purchases, so I make about 2 ATM cash withdrawals per month. Still makes for a pretty easy checkbook balance every month.
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I use Microsoft Money, but write very few checks. Still need to verify auto deductions are correct, though.

Balancing only takes a couple of minutes a month.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I rarely write a check, and do most of my bill-paying online. I check balances online 2 or 3 times a week. I also balance my checking account to the penny. I'm too OCD not to.
ksr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Si, to the penny. Check all accounts regularly, to insure there's no funny business.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Not the old fashioned "on the back of the monthly statement with pencil and calculator" variety, at least not since I switched over to online banking. I take a look at my account 2-3 times a week to be sure all the deposits and payments are accurate and on time. I suppose this could be described as "continuous balancing".
Old 06-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not the old fashioned "on the back of the monthly statement with pencil and calculator" variety, at least not since I switched over to online banking. I take a look at my account 2-3 times a week to be sure all the deposits and payments are accurate and on time. I suppose this could be described as "continuous balancing".
+1
Old 06-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #18

I have all my credit union accounts in Quicken, that includes my checking/debit card. Yep...I reconcile throughout the month and finalize it at the end of each month. It's part of my retirement j*b. Just makes me feel better.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Like travelover, I download transactions into MS Money. I then "accept" the transactions as legit. There are usually less than 30 transactions per month, including a handful of checks ... usually related to kids' school functions and family birthdays. If the MSMoney final value matches what my bank has, then everything is balanced.

We don't use cash. Everything possible goes on cash-back credit cards that get paid with online bill pay.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #20

The little bank (about 5 employees and no branches) that has my account has a very good online banking application and I reconcile my account about every other week.