Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you personally have a floor income % built into your retirement income plans?
I'm comfortable relying solely on portfolio withdrawals (if you will receive Soc Sec or a pension this is probably not one of your choices). 8 8.99%
I'd want at least 25% floor income for essentials 7 7.87%
I'd want at least 50% floor income for essentials 22 24.72%
I'd want at least 75% floor income for essentials 11 12.36%
I'm shooting for 100% floor income for essentials 24 26.97%
I'm shooting for 100% floor income for essentials and some/all discretionary 17 19.10%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2013, 06:06 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
My Pension and DW's SS (to come) cover 100% of essentials with COLA. Our portfolio covers a two house, extensive travel lifestyle.

Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 06:34 AM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado
Been retired going on 5 years and SS+pension = 100% However my pension is non-Cola which means someday we will need extra.

golfersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We have a household budget which we count on increasing by 4% a year. At the end of the year, we compare it to what capital we would need at 4% and then compare that amount to our accumulated portfolio. As long as it is less, we consider ourselves OK.

IOW we do not set the budget based on the current portfolio size. As it stands now, 11 years into retirement, we can live forever.
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Poll: Do YOU have a floor income % built into your retirement income plans?
Old 01-01-2014, 09:28 PM   #44
Poll: Do YOU have a floor income % built into your retirement income plans?

For the last five years before retirement, my wife's income paid the mortgage and our son's college expenses. We lived on my take home income. Son's graduated and the house is paid off. Our combine pensions, after tax and insurance, is about the same as my old take home, so we can live on our pensions. I haven't done the math specifically, but the pensions are about 67% of our previous income. A 2% withdrawal permits us to travel as we wish; when the market's down, we can forego travel and live off pensions. I'd like to leave a significant inheritance for our son, given the employment situation. I'm pessimistic it will improve.

We have higher expenses at the moment - two cars will be paid off in August. Payments on pickup for another couple of years. Truck is for our RV. When those are paid off, we may need to tap into the investments at all. We'll receive a small SS payment in 5 years; enough to pay for gas...
"Growing old is no excuse for growing up."
seraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #45
I will have a pension (federal) with COLA when I retire later this year, that will cover around 80% of expenses, & wife will keep working which will cover the rest. When she retires in a couple of years (no pension) I will then tap my TSP for the 20% that we'll lose when her income stops. 2 years after that, my military reserve retirement will begin & will again pick up where her stopped income left off. TSP & her 401k withdrawals after that point will be for discretionary spending, for the most part.

I should add that when I'm withdrawing from my TSP, it will be at a rate no higher than 4%, likely less, before taxes.
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:14 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I voted the first option based on the current situation. I have no pension. By the time I reach government pension age, I will not get the whole amount (CPP) and will probably have OAS clawed back (assuming my portfolio does not tank in the meantime). Recognizing how vulnerable this makes me to the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, I have added some investment real estate to my portfolio. When all the mortgages are paid off about 12 years from now, I estimate that this will provide an income equivalent to ~25% of my baseline lifestyle expenses.

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote