Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You and your Better Half Maintain Separate Accounts
Yes 61 29.47%
No 146 70.53%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do You have Separate Accounts or Joint for ALL Assets?
Old 08-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Do You have Separate Accounts or Joint for ALL Assets?

After reading the two or one car post, and seeing a few folk like their own cars, I thought this would be a good topic / poll.

Everything we have is joint and has been ever since we got married over 30 years ago. All except IRA, 401k and 427b accounts of course. But our beneficiaries are each other on those.

We have friends that adamantly maintain His & Her moneys and would not think about doing otherwise, others are like us. I just find it a lot easier and we NEVER argue about money as a result.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2018, 11:37 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I responded no, but for no good reason we have his, her and joint taxable brokerage accounts... however the his and her taxable accounts combined are only ~8.5% of the total. That said, I totally manage the individual accounts and have considered consolidating them through in-kind transfers.

All other separate accounts are just those required by law, such as tIRAs, Roths and HSAs.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We are not married but maintain all joint accounts except for of course the TIRA/401K.
This was a key agreement for both of us.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
We are not married but maintain all joint accounts except for of course the TIRA/401K.
This was a key agreement for both of us.
So you're financially married but legally just shacking up.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
So you're financially married but legally just shacking up.
Yes indeed. Been together almost 8 years. Seems to work.

Currently it also allows to manage the ACA income better.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

All joint forever. DH does use a separate checking account for hobby money he has made and for things he likes to pay for but it’s also a joint account.

Interesting question. Maybe separate accounts and property ownership go hand in hand with prenups (which I could definitely see having for marriages between already financially established partners).
Old 08-12-2018, 11:59 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have joint checking and savings accounts. I am very in touch with all of it and manage everything.

DH has logons and passwords for all of them and NEVER looks at any of it. He knows the checkbook is on my desk but has not interacted with it in many years.

More important to him is where we keep the box of this months cash because that's all he deals with.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
After reading the two or one car post, and seeing a few folk like their own cars, I thought this would be a good topic / poll.

Everything we have is joint and has been ever since we got married over 30 years ago. All except IRA, 401k and 427b accounts of course. But our beneficiaries are each other on those.

We have friends that adamantly maintain His & Her moneys and would not think about doing otherwise, others are like us. I just find it a lot easier and we NEVER argue about money as a result.
This is the 19th year that Frank and I have been together. We are not married, and we never mix our money on anything. We don't have any joint accounts and we choose to live next door to one another in our own houses (that we each pay for separately) instead of living together.

We were both married earlier in life, and we know very well how money issues can cause strife in a relationship. So, we just avoid that completely by not mixing our money. It works really well for us. No mutual decisions needed. We have BTDT and know the pitfalls and how nagging can sneak into that process. Not only that, we don't have to spend our precious time together talking about money. YMMV and obviously does.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #9

We married late in life and each have our own assets. DW pays some of the household expenses from her SS and pension, and I do the same.
The reason we do not have any differences about money is we are debt free and have enough to cover all our expenses and then some.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Started dating when were 18 and 19. I've given her my paychecks and we have shared accounts since then.

That was almost 38 years ago, I think it all worked out just fine.
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Separate checking accounts is the secret (49 years) to our marriage. She never knew how much money I spent racing sports cars and flying airplanes and I have no idea what she paid for heated indoor parking downtown when she was working, nor do I know how much she spends on shoes, massages, clothing, etc. Her charitable donations are strictly her decisions, though I do see those annually at tax time.

To be strictly accurate, all of our non-IRA accounts are titled jointly. My checking is like: Joe Jones and Sara Jones. Hers is like Sara Jones and Joe Jones. This is just for convenience in the extremely rare occasion where we need to do something with the other's account. I can't remember the last time that happened, actually & I don't think either of us has ever written a check on the other's account.

We have an informal split of joint expenses, like she buys food and I the RE taxes, home maintenance, and most car maintenance. Travel is split sort of randomly from trip to trip.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Joint everything.

I can see a lot of reasons why people may have separate (not married, second marriage etc) but if you married young and made a life together, I’ll never understand why that wouldn’t include joint accounts. Yet, I know plenty of young people that don’t have joint accounts and always talk about his or her money. I find that odd...
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #13
Administrator

I answered no but that has only been since just prior to moving back to England. The UK taxes individuals not couples so all our after tax savings and investments are in DW’s name as she currently has no other income. Makes no difference to our US tax return but a big difference to our UK tax return.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

All joint accounts, where possible, so I answered no. The DW has no idea (or even seems to care) how much money is in each account.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Joint everything. We were married young, with a few $K between ourselves.

I imagine that things would be different if we got married when both were already established.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
All joint accounts, where possible, so I answered no. The DW has no idea (or even seems to care) how much money is in each account.
My wife knows only roughly how much in each of the dozen accounts we have, but she cares the most about the main checking account balance because she pays all monthly bills out of that. It's my job to replenish it, so I keep an eye on it too but care less about it than the investment accounts.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Joint everything. We were married young, with a few $K between ourselves.

I imagine that things would be different if we got married when both were already established.

My wife knows only roughly how much in each of the dozen accounts we have, but she cares the most about the main checking account balance because she pays all monthly bills out of that. It's my job to replenish it, so I keep an eye on it too but care less about it than the investment accounts.
That's pretty much our situation. Married at 22 yrs old with DW $10k in education debt (back when $10k was more than a year's salary for a school teacher). Worked together to pay that off, raise a family and FIRE in our mid-50's. (Well, 55 and 58.) Never thought of having his and hers separate stashes. What was I supposed to do, tell her that her account was negative $10k?

Like you folks, DW handles most day-to-day expenses and bill paying and I handle investments and overviewing that inputs will cover outputs and what we'll do to handle bumps in the financial road.

We completely understand how folks in different life circumstances would chose to do things differently though.......
Old 08-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #17

We have a his, her and general checking accounts. I don't look at or question a single thing about her account nor does she question my account, we discuss only the general account. Granted all of thees accounts are joint but that does not give either of us the right to micro manage the other. Personal slush funds have always kept peace in the household, it has worked from day one and in September it will be 32 years.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #18

Joint accounts. But there is definitely OUR money and HER money - and I better not forget!
Old 08-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

My wife knows only roughly how much in each of the dozen accounts we have,

It's my job to replenish it, so I keep an eye on it too but care less about it than the investment accounts.

Similar here too. The DW thinks the more blank checks we have the more money we must have, so I keep a lot of blank checks. Matter of fact, I may have enough checks to last us the rest of our lives at the rate I/we write checks these days.

The wife knows our NW (to the most significant digit level) but doesn't seem to care about individual account amounts.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:17 PM   #20

We maintain separate accounts mainly to avoid/reduce taxation.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote