Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you track CC bonus points?
Yes, same as any other asset account 4 3.08%
No, too small potatoes 73 56.15%
I don't play those games with credit cards 5 3.85%
No, those are not an asset 48 36.92%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2016, 06:22 PM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
According to my Award Wallet account, I have 2,089,030 points/miles. I figure these are worth somewhere between $15,000 to $25,000. But, I don't count them in my net worth - even though technically I suppose I should since they really are an asset.
Holy cow!! That's a LOT of reward points. I doubt that I have even charged that much on my CC. Congratulations on accumulating so much.

― B. Lee

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Holy cow!! That's a LOT of reward points. I doubt that I have even charged that much on my CC. Congratulations on accumulating so much.
Thanks. Over the last 8-10 years I estimate that we've saved probably $3K to $5K every year on our vacations. This little hobby has saved us a fortune and allowed us to take trips we wouldn't otherwise take.

Having said that, it is beginning to get much harder to accumulate points via credit card sign up bonuses. The old days of repeatedly churning credit cards for bonus purposes are pretty much gone.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

We currently have about 1.5 million miles/points. Because we use them for business class tickets to Europe, they would be "valued" at around $100,000. But, because this is such a small percentage of net worth, I do not include them. Back when I was earning millions of miles a year (charging my own company's costs on them), I used to keep good track of them in a spreadsheet. Now I just keep a general level in my head.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:25 PM   #44
Administrator

Wow, that's a lot of points too.

I don't know what I'd do if I had accumulated that many points - - if I'd include them in my net worth, or not.

Oh well, for me it was easy to vote for the "small potatoes" option.

― B. Lee

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:46 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

No, not counted in net worth. But I keep a spreadsheet of the amount of points/miles/cash-back that I earn, mostly from signup bonuses. this year I should earn about $7000 or so. When I lived in the US, "manufactured spending" was easy and profitable. 2013 was my best year, when I earned over $17,000 worth.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:37 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not counted in net worth even though they are, strictly speaking, an asset.

We tend to spend them for free flights or upgrades mostly or, occasionally, whatever looks good on the HSBC catalogue.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

no as CC bonus is so puny ..
Old 10-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

I do not add the value of points to my assets.

Capital One account current cashback balance is $2800.

Accumulated hotel points are about 500,000 (IHG and Marriott combined).

Accumulated airline points are about 150,000 (United).

Use:

CapOne cash gets pulled yearly in December.

Hotel points are used for rooms when travelling on driving vacations or given to family members for same use.

Airline miles have been given to family members as I am done flying unless a gun is held to my head (very tired of it after 35 years of heavy travel in business).

We don't play the CC points game.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I only get cash back and I love to spend those dollars right away.
Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:28 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We just started playing the credit card game last year but we used the points so far mainly for statement credits and Home Depot gift cards.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote