Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you have a pension that has any significant impact on your retirement budget?
Yes, more than 25% 196 46.34%
Yes, less than 25% but still meaningful 57 13.48%
Yes, I have a pension, but it doesn't have a significant impact on my retirement budget. 43 10.17%
No pension 127 30.02%
Voters: 423. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Does a Pension factor into your FIRE Plans?
Old 02-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Poll: Does a Pension factor into your FIRE Plans?

This is a follow up to a poll that was conducted 5 years ago.

Poll:What are your sources of retirement income?

Pensions (especially private sector ones) are becoming more and more rare - but they do seem to be mentioned fairly frequently on this forum. So the question for everyone is:

Do you have a pension that has any significant impact on your retirement budget?

Thanks to exnavynuke for the suggestion to re-run the poll.

Edit: This should not include Social Security. While that is likely an important factor in most people's retirement calculations, it is available to most (but not all). This is considering a specific defined benefit pension from a private or public entity
JohnnyBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"No." But, that excludes Social, which I'm still not comfortable counting on. (Currently 57 & 56).

If we consider social, would still be insignificant in our present planning and decision to retire.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My non-cola pension is only $1385/mo. Every penny helps, but we're living comfortably off of our investments. Mostly individual stocks, a couple of index funds, CDs and savings accounts.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

It was a military disability pension, and luckily it's covering 100% of spending. I've spent so little though that I invest the rest; I'm not comfortable with the idea of thinking I'm safe under this particular umbrella.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:09 PM   #5

I have two small pensions. (One from my former employer that was frozen when we were acquired by a bigger company... the other from the bigger employer, which was frozen a decade ago.) Together they add up to just about 7% of our total budget.

We also have rental income that makes up about 21% of our total budget (before expenses... but the expenses are part of our budget).

DH is on SS - that's another 21%

So about half our budget comes from savings/investments... the other half from these sources... the smallest of which is the pensions.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:15 PM   #6

I am not yet retired, but have been a Fed for 26 years. I plan to retire at 57 with a FERS pension. It will cover about 60% of my projected spending.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #7

My modest pension will be about 15% of my budgeted income, so I would say it has a decent factor in ER.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #8
Administrator

By coincidence I received the first monthly check of my 4th private pension today. They are all non-COLA and I've been receiving the other 3 since retiring 7 years ago. They are enough to cover all our non-discretionary spending.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have one small pension($1100/mo) and another smaller pension($300) that will both likely be insolvent by the time I am eligible to collect them. So not counting on either but it will be nice if they're there.
surf n turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:25 PM   #10

I'm extremely lucky in that my military pension covers most of our "essential" expenses and DW's non-COLA pension covers the rest of them.

Just started taking SS last year and it will cover a good part of our discretionary expenses (mainly travel), so our WR is quite low and likely to stay that way.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #11

My frozen Megacorp pension is enough to take care of my day to day expenses, but discretionary stuff like toys and major trips come out of my portfolio. The pension pays for more than 50% of my total expenses early in ER (I'm 56), but as it's non-COLA I expect that percentage to decline considerably over the years. Assuming SS is still around by the time I take it at 70 it will pay substantially more than the pension.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:29 PM   #12

Have a large non cola pension that represents a little less than half our income in retirement. Survivor benefit elected at 100%. Taxed as regular income. Divs keep growing, pension does not. Almost an afterthought when working but sure glad we have it now. I treat this as my FI component of my AA.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:39 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

My itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny yellow polkadot bikini FERS pension covers 10% of what FIRECalc says I can spend*.

So, I checked "Yes, I have a pension, but it doesn't have a significant impact on my retirement budget."

I make fun of it like that, as you all know, but I am so sincerely grateful and happy to have it! Any pension beats no pension at all and I love seeing it deposited in my checking account every month, like clockwork.

* (with 95% probability of not running out of money)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #14

I have a military disability pension that will cover almost all of my "essential" spending once I pay off the mortgage. That leaves a small amount of essential spending and all discretionary spending needing to be funded from my investments.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:41 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, mine does factor in. I'm a recent *retiree* (July 2016) and my former Megacorp had a defined benefit pension plan. As it stands now it's covering 80% ish of my expenses.

In a weird way it's covering day to day expenses (excluding fed taxes, prop/home taxes, vacations). I believe I'm from a similar company as Stepford.
supernova72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
My frozen Megacorp pension is enough to take care of my day to day expenses, but discretionary stuff like toys and major trips come out of my portfolio. The pension pays for more than 50% of my total expenses early in ER (I'm 56), but as it's non-COLA I expect that percentage to decline considerably over the years. Assuming SS is still around by the time I take it at 70 it will pay substantially more than the pension.
Sounds familiar---see post above!
supernova72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #17

We have a small non cola pension that represents about a 1/4 of our income retirement. Glad we have. Have survivor's benefits at 75%. Life is good.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

We have Civil Service Retirement pensions, taxed the same as ordinary income, and we do not qualify for Social Security.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:51 PM   #19

A cool $3600 non-cola(ed) annual pension here when we're both retired. Better than a sharp stick in the eye, I suppose.

Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

My pension covers over half of our planned retirement budget. However, I've modeled retirement with and without using my pension figures, and the "100% success level" of spending is only 13% less than our budget. Without the pension gives us a comfortable retirement, with it we can be a bit more extravagant.