Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much has the value of your house dropped from the top of the bubble?
Not at all. In fact, it's gone up 9 6.38%
It's worth about the same now as it was then. 17 12.06%
Down less than 10% 23 16.31%
Down between 10% and 25% 56 39.72%
Down between 25% and 50% 32 22.70%
Down more than 50% 4 2.84%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think I could have sold and walked away with $100K or so. Now I think I can sell and break even (if that).
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am from Ontario, Canada and in recent news we are talking about the slow down in real estate market and a chance of the market bubble bursting.

I purchased my property in Feb 2000 before the market started to sizzle. At this stage my property is work about 2.66 times more than what I paid. My house is paid off so it does not matter if the market burst. I am actually hoping for it to burst as I am looking to buy.
vt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #43

Florida house is off about 60% from peak, tax value now is about 5% more than what we paid 10 yrs ago. GA house ? We are in the refi process, appraisal has been completed, we expect about a 10-15% decline from what we originally paid for it 8 yrs ago. SC property don't know. Do know that FL and GA real estate tax bills are headed lower again this yr.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #44

Don't be so sure about Florida, my value went down 45K and taxes went up 50 bucks. I also just read that our town tax was raised last night.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Don't be so sure about Florida, my value went down 45K and taxes went up 50 bucks. I also just read that our town tax was raised last night.
We received a statement from the tax collector with the new tax value and expected tax along with last yrs. Tax value is down over 30K, estimated tax is down between 200 and 400 dollars (two different values given based on whether or not budget changes happen).
Old 09-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #46

Taxes are funny ... the town/city still needs the same amount to operate; who pays might vary.

At the lake they decided land owners had HUGE increases in value over the last three years. Sooo my neighbor (behind me) has 25 acres ... his taxes TRIPLED. Mine dropped 15%. (Yes he's fighting the increase).
Old 09-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #47

The poll needs another answer option:
"I don't know ... because I don't day-trade my house, I rarely concern myself with its notional value".
Old 09-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Taxes are funny ... the town/city still needs the same amount to operate....
I think more and more taxpayers are questioning that. Just saw where a town with 90 residents is shelling out over a million bucks in salaries to town employees...
Old 09-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

At the local real estate peak (post-Katrina), the home across the street from me sold. That home is the same square footage as mine, built the same year, and renovated about the same amount. So, that gives me a ballpark guess as to what mine was worth then.

I am guessing that mine is down around 17% compared with that value. Who knows? I have a good realtor who has been pretty straightforward with me in the past. He will provide me with some comps and tell me the bitter truth when I put my house on the market (hopefully later this year).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Just saw where a town with 90 residents is shelling out over a million bucks in salaries to town employees...
Can that be possible? That would imply that every man, woman and child is paying average annual municipal taxes of > $11,000 ... and that without any amount going towards equipment, road repairs or other infrastructure.

What is the name of the town?
Old 09-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #51

I read the same article, it was 1.6M
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Having moved a year ago, I've been acutely aware of housing prices locally. Since the old and new place are condos with many very similar units, I can fairly accurately deduce the change in price since the bubble. The good news is that the new place dropped 20% before we purchased it while the old place only went down 10%. (Gotta get lucky once, right?) Since the move, the new place seems to be slowly inching up in value, at least based on the comps.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote