Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Has Your Home's Value Rebounded?
YES - doing a happy dance!! 51 42.15%
NO - not happy about it!! 44 36.36%
Never really depreciated since 2005 23 19.01%
Don't own a home 3 2.48%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:Has Your Home's Value Rebounded?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Poll:Has Your Home's Value Rebounded?

This is similar to the "Real Estate Frenzy" thread but with a poll. Please elaborate your experience here.

My situation:
2009 - Home value** 20% below 2007 purchase price & there were 2-3 long-term empty/foreclosed homes on my block
2013 - Home value 12% above purchase price (not including $60K of improvements), no empty homes on the block & "For Sale" signs stay up less than a month in the sub-division

In 2009, My niece & husband walked away from her underwater house losing her down payment and credit rating. Now the house is valued close to their purchase price. She and her husband have been renting, waiting to save up for another house, and letting their credit ratings improve so they can buy.

My friend and relatives home values are all back to 2005-6 levels.

Last night, CNBC aired an show they produced at the height of the recession in 2009. Most of the folks were underwater in their homes and/or jobless. Many people and businesses walked away from their loan obligations and left neighborhoods filled with empty homes. I wish they would produce an updated show on the "mortgage crisis" because I see a much brighter picture these days. (Also the unemployment rate has significantly dropped -- not that this means much to us here. )

(**Zillow values)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

According to Zillow it has gone up in price a little lately, but Zillow is virtually 100% useless here because it does not have any information other than location for most homes.

Just looking at real estate listings and sales information, I am starting to see some homes selling here (other than to relatives). This is a big improvement and should be very welcome to those with no money to bring to the table, but who are trying to get out from under their mortgages.

My best guess of the value of my home right now is about 85% of its 2005-2006 value, although more than I paid for it in 2002. Luckily, I do not have to move right now.

Ours is still far from a "hot" real estate market, though, and has not been for a long time.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I purchased in 2004, selling now - its under contract and will close in a couple of weeks.

The price more than doubled in that time. In fact I'm selling it for 218% of my purchase price. And moving to a much cheaper dwelling (to a house in Westchester from a condo in the city)

Life is good.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We purchased in 2005. Our realtor says our house is now worth 16% more than what we paid. We spent quite a bit on maintenance in the meantime, but did very little in the way of improvements.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We never had the craziness in real estate here in Madison, so things didn't go up so much and consequently didn't go down much.

I don't look at my home as an "investment" but as a place to live. If it goes up great, if down, well I got to live someplace, might as well be here.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's hard to say, since there hasn't been a sale in our neighborhood for years, except for a couple of foreclosures a year or two ago. But just using my best guess, I'd say we're still about 30-35% below our building cost 5 years ago. Luckily we have no intention of selling in the next 10 years or so.

We also recently bought a house in FL for the same price the previous owner bought it for in 2009. It's still about 25% below what it was listed for in 2006.

The townhouse we rent out in Northern VA is currently worth what we paid for it in 2008, maybe a little more. The price dropped a bit more after we bought it, but never very much. We bought it at about a 20% discount to what they had been selling for the previous year before the meltdown. So even that one in a good, strong, federal governmentally propped up area hasn't regained it's bubble price. Which, IMO, is a good thing.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

We are still 12% down from the top of the bubble. We are up 17% from a year ago with low inventory and bidding wars in the area.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Looks like our house is $4k higher than the bottom price it hit back in 2011 per zillow. And still $19k below the "peak" in September 2008. A little simple math can tell you that our house value only fluctuated $23k from peak to trough during the "great recession", so we didn't really care. And the fact that we had something like a 30% Loan to Value ratio on the house along with 20x the mortgage amount in investments means we never really lost any sleep over home value declines. The house is a very small percentage of our net worth - just a place to sleep at night and recreate during the day, and raise a family.

Sometimes it is nice to live in an area not caught up in a real estate frenzy.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #9

I don't know. Don't know what it is worth now and don't know what it was worth during the depth of the recession.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
We never had the craziness in real estate here in Madison, so things didn't go up so much and consequently didn't go down much.

I don't look at my home as an "investment" but as a place to live. If it goes up great, if down, well I got to live someplace, might as well be here.
Same here. No real runup or drop in prices. They actually seem to be lower now. Don't really care that much as it is a place to live not an investment. If I sold I'd just be trading it for another.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

There's always someone who can't find a suitable poll option, this time it's me.

My homes value has not rebounded to the peak it hit right before the subprime crisis, but then that was a ficticious home value in the first place. So no mine hasn't, but I'm not unhappy about it.

OP notwithstanding, sort of like the folks that harangue about losing net worth since 2007, when their home values weren't real to begin with and investments were all at or near peaks. Just an example of cherry picking data to support a preconceived point. Most of the same people have probably seen their net worth increase since 2009, but that wouldn't serve the doom and gloomers.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
There's always someone who can't find a suitable poll option, this time it's me.

My homes value has not rebounded to the peak it hit right before the subprime crisis, but then that was a ficticious home value in the first place. So no mine hasn't, but I'm not unhappy about it.
Ya. That is why I was able to sell my previous house in 2010 in exactly 10 days of listing. I only paid $183K to build it in 1993 and although it hit a fictitious value of almost $500K during the boom, I priced it at $400K to sell. Greed didn't get the best of me and the sale was a win-win. The sale didn't hurt the value of the neighborhood homes much, it sold quickly so wasn't empty long, and I made a decent profit. Now the house is valued at $420 so the new owners are happy.

(I guess if I had bought that house for $450 in 2005, I'd be a little sad.)

Maybe some people who could have afforded to make their payments on their underwater homes should have stuck it out instead of walking away.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #13

Up slightly from - 1995 level when purchased new. Still down from peak 2006 levels. No intention of selling in the next 20 -30 years. By then I won't care for obvious reasons.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I don't really believe that the value of our joint took much of a hit during this housing downturn. Of course I did not try to sell it and don't plan on anytime soon but I did not notice many "for sale" signs out around our place during the last 5 years or so. For what that's worth.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #15

Don't know about fair market in our area. Bought ours in 1993 and put on an addition.

During the bubble, assessment was 125% above what we have in it.
The current tax assessment is now 30% above what we have in it.

I think if I sold it I could get 57% above what we have in it. That may be low as I based it on $100.00 per square foot. Typically contractor grade is going for $140/$160 per square foot. But not many in this area make the salaries they used to make with a major plant closing so I low balled it.

I voted no but the "not happy about it" doesn't apply. Meaning it is what it is.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #16

I don't check my Zillow value all that often. Our house is the smallest house in a good neighborhood. When house values increased our value increased more slowly and eventually topped out. During the great recession our house value dropped about $50k from it's peak. Now that I look at it again it has risen $38k above it's pre-recession peak. I guess that's good news however I'm not planning to sell. We purchased the house in 1983 and our mortgage will be paid off in August. Our current value is 350% above what we bought it.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Bought in 2007. Put another $60k into it. I would guess it is worth about what I paid for it. Maybe up $20k. Does not matter. We are not selling.

Sure it is nice to look at the value of things on paper. But for us, if we decided to upgrade today, the cost of any upgrade would be less than it was in 2007. But we are happy with what we have.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #18

It's really hard to say. We bought mid way through the up cycle of the last bubble (2003) for $600k. In 2007 we got a HELOC to pay for building a granny flat - at that point (sans granny flat) the bank estimated the value at $815k. Zillow has it at $805k now. I think that's a bit low since the same model (but MUCH more fixed up) recently sold for $785 - and it doesn't have a legal, detached, 1br casita, on the property.

FWIW - San Diego is too expensive. This is not a mansion. But it's in a good, albeit older, neighborhood, with good schools. We're "La Jolla adjacent".

Doesn't matter what it's worth. We're not moving and are less than a year away from having it paid off. It's not an investment - it's shelter. Even the granny flat was built to house a granny - not generate income. It's icing on the cake that we're now at a point to start renting it for income.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm listing the home I bought in 2010 next week. I bought it during the federal home buying incentive, and the value dropped somewhat (10%) right after the expiration of the program. Apparently it has come back strongly over the last 6 months or so - 4 real estate agents I interviewed suggested a valuation between 33% and 48% above my purchasing price. I know it sounds crazy, but this is California and the comps the realtors brought in are very convincing.
toreornot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought in 2008. I am about 3% down from purchase price based on a recent appraisal. Of course I expect to lose a bit since I bought new construction. I didn't find a poll answer that matched my ambivalence.
Sesq is offline   Reply With Quote