Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you or you as a legal couple have =>$5million?
Yessir 37 12.76%
No, and that is OK 253 87.24%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm still a few million short. A mere million ain't what it used to be, but it is a whole lot more than nothing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'm still a few million short. A mere million ain't what it used to be, but it is a whole lot more than nothing.
Actually it's a lot more than that of most people in the world.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Well, judging by the drop in percentage of the $5M+ crowd, obviously if you have more than $5M you spend a lot of time on this forum waiting to jump on things like this poll. It took a while for the poorer FIREees or the still employed to respond. Give it long enough and the percentage will probably drop closer to a match for the rest of society.

Personally, I'm hoping that at some point in my life my investable assets go over $5M, even though I'm drawing down. A nice decade of boundless growth could do it. Or just living long enough that my current balance goes over $5M, although worth much less due to inflation. Live long and prosper, that's what I always say,
Old 07-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Agree ---with above post.

For us 5M would be great, but if I had that I would have pulled the trigger before now.

The best we can do (and our goal) is 2.8-3M at 60/65 (me/DW) in three years. We are good with that.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Why? A higher number of people than you expected above $5M? That doesn't change your situation.
Of course not for that reason. I thought I would have a sleepless night because I was a little shocked by how far this target of retirement investment assets keeps going up. We only need maybe 2-3 mils. Any bit more would be nice.

This reminds me of what Herbert Hoover said: "About the time we can make the ends meet, somebody moves the ends.".
Old 07-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratto View Post
Of course not for that reason. I thought I would have a sleepless night because I was a little shocked by how far this target of retirement investment assets keeps going up. We only need maybe 2-3 mils. Any bit more would be nice.

This reminds me of what Herbert Hoover said: "About the time we can make the ends meet, somebody moves the ends.".
But it isn't your target, so why should it affect your sleep? Confused.

-ERD50
Old 07-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #67

Without regard to this specific target (because this specific target is about who's "rich", not who's financially secure), I think that, legitimately, when experts are saying X and you're doing <X, it is natural to consider what those others are saying, and consequently that could lead to you rethinking the matter.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Without regard to this specific target (because this specific target is about who's "rich", not who's financially secure), I think that, legitimately, when experts are saying X and you're doing <X, it is natural to consider what those others are saying, and consequently that could lead to you rethinking the matter.

What 'experts' are saying anyone should obtain $5M? It was just a poll asking if you have it or not. And why would I care if someone else reported they had $X, if I have figured my plan will work with $Y?

I happen to know some very rich people. I know that one has an annual income that is often > $5M (it is public info). And he is LBYM (not hard at that level, but some manage to blow it). Doesn't affect me in the least. I know I would not put forth the effort he has to achieve that, probably don't have the skill set anyhow, so be it. I never once thought I need to save more because of what this guy has.

If one is a 'keep up with the Jones type', they will probably have trouble achieving FIRE, they will not be LBYM.

-ERD50
Old 07-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree that it's natural to react that way. My response is to overcome that reaction and realize that nothing in the poster's own situation has changed just because some others are throwing around higher numbers. Even if it was about a target retirement amount, others' goals shouldn't affect your own, unless you are looking into their breakdown and realize you haven't accounted for health care, replacement of cars, major irregular home maintenance expenses, etc., in your own target.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Quote:
What 'experts' are saying anyone should obtain $5M?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I agree that it's natural to react that way. My response is to overcome that reaction and realize that nothing in the poster's own situation has changed just because some others are throwing around higher numbers.
My initial reaction was that it isn't even worth a second thought about what makes one "rich" - I focus just on financial independence, not affluence.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Doggies, boy,

If I had 5 mil, do you think I would be hanging out here? I would be the invisible man. My kids would have trouble finding me. As it is, I may wind up living in one of them's basement. My brother has offered me a place to put my trailer on his back lot. If I don't need water or sewer.

I need another 1.5 years in this butamous job to break even. As the song says, I been down so long it looks like up to me.

I can afford to retire 5 years after I'm dead.

Bipolar Ed,
outlier among outliers
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Million schmillion...

Signed,

HFWR, Thousandaire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote