Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you or have you been a Scrooge to reach FIRE ?
I'm a real Scrooge to friends, family, myself, & everyone 11 9.09%
I'm a Scrooge but only to myself - I give heartily to family & friends 23 19.01%
I'm a Scrooge to others, but not myself or spouse - No Hand Outs! 12 9.92%
I'm no Scrooge! I give - but very moderately 57 47.11%
I'm no Scrooge! I give - Generously 10% of salary 12 9.92%
I'm no Scrooge! I give - Very Generously - 25% or more of salary 2 1.65%
Not Applicable - I only have enough to support myself and family 2 1.65%
I'm Tiny Tim - I need donations so I can FIRE 2 1.65%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:Have you been a Scrooge to reach FIRE ?
Old 12-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poll:Have you been a Scrooge to reach FIRE ?

Ok, gotta admit I've been watching the Scrooge marathon on AMC, LOL. So, I wanted to know if you have been a real Scrooge to reach FIRE ? I'm running a poll
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't care how much my spouse spends on herself. Not that she is a spendthrift or anything. But I tend to be very careful about what I spend on myself.

I never buy on impulse. I buy my summer clothes in the fall when they are on clearance and take them on our winter vacations. I will buy some new winter clothes in late January during clearance sales prior to leaving for warmer climes. Cannot help myself! Not certain why this is. I believe that this attitude toward money, investing, finance etc. was the key to retiring early and being financially secure.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:28 PM   #3

Whats this "Salary" stuff
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Whats this "Salary" stuff
Oh, it means, the person is very generous and gives 10% of salary to charity or more. Salary during retirement means your withdrawal. Say if you withdraw $80,000 a year from your nest egg, do you give more than 10% of that to your favorite charity?
Old 12-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Oh, it means, the person is very generous and gives 10% of salary to charity or more. Salary during retirement means your withdrawal. Say if you withdraw $80,000 a year from your nest egg, do you give more than 10% of that to your favorite charity?
Thanks! Sometimes we retired folks have a difficult time relating to those "work" terms.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Thanks! Sometimes we retired folks have a difficult time relating to those "work" terms.
haha .. got it.

So Hermit, you are retired in the Colorado mountains. That's nice! Was in Breck, Aspen, Vail, and Avon last year. It's nice up there. Had to get use to the altitude the first 2 days.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I was a Scrooge at one time. Poor growing up, poor when we got married. But we started to give a little to worthwhile causes - $10/month at first. Then the more we gave, the more our income grew (not the other way around). It's one of the things that weighs on me - we'll have to cut back on giving when I retire, and I'm really not excited about that.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudent_one View Post
I was a Scrooge at one time. Poor growing up, poor when we got married. But we started to give a little to worthwhile causes - $10/month at first. Then the more we gave, the more our income grew (not the other way around). It's one of the things that weighs on me - we'll have to cut back on giving when I retire, and I'm really not excited about that.
Exact same experience. It is something I don't like to talk about too much. I was amazed how we were able to give more as we gave more. But I don't want to blow trumpets ahead of me about this. 'nuf said for now...

We are trying to add to our donor advised fund to get a cushion that we can smooth our our giving ramp down during retirement.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:13 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
While I admire your generosity, correlation is not the same as causation.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:20 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I'm an engineer and analytical. I understand your thoughts.

But there's a faith element that's hard to explain. I can't speak for prudent_one, but only myself.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

But there's a faith element that's hard to explain. I can't speak for prudent_one, but only myself.
Science, Mr. White. Science!

So how do you explain the afterlife?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Science, Mr. White. Science!

So how do you explain the afterlife?
The same as Mr Market. I don't get to vote but I do place a bet.

heh heh heh - All praise to 35 yrs index funds and time in the market.. Still betting I can't take with me.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:10 PM   #13

That's the thing. There's an element in life that goes beyond logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

Old 12-20-2015, 01:29 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Quote:
All I can say is that it can not be explained logically and rationally... well, maybe if I had been the favorite son of the CEO it might have made sense but that wasn't the case.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:26 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdy2go View Post
+1

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:46 PM   #17

I was never a Scrooge and neither was my husband. I was a reformed spendthrift.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #18

My DW and I are quite frugal and live well below our means. We give very freely of our time including spending weeks and months in low resource settings. We pay reasonable amounts of taxes and are very happy that strangers do not go without healthcare and other vital necessities. Personally I have never been a big believer in organized religion or big business charities. I do take pleasure in giving thoughtful things to family and friends but seldom are they big ticket items. Working very hard to instill drive and work ethic in our children.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:36 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Personally I have never been a big believer in organized religion or big business charities.
+1
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:18 AM   #20

Quote:
I too will have to dial down my giving from a financial standpoint. However I will be making a point to then give of my time in different ways to hopefully make up for this.
Bir48die is offline   Reply With Quote