20% or more but less than 25% 43 14.19%
25% or more 48 15.84%
I / We don’t own 5 1.65%
Voters: 303. You may not vote on this poll

Poll - House value to net worth
Old 07-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #1
Administrator

Poll - House value to net worth

The popularity of this thread suggests we should have a poll. http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...rth-87686.html

What is the value of your house to your total net worth, as a percent, using your best guess at the current estimated market value the market value. If you have a mortgage, subtract it from your net worth. If you have multiple residences for personal use, include them all.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2017, 08:53 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Two homes, and I voted between 5 and 10%. Probably close to 7%.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:58 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I voted 20% as I live in an arear where the average price of a home is $800k Not sure what the poll proves?
Old 07-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

16% of my NW, 12% if you include DW's NW as well (though mine's the only name on the deed) so I answered 10-15%. I suspect my fellow residents of CA and other areas of ridiculously expensive housing skew this number higher than one might otherwise expect.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I came in at 12.1%. I did count what I call "perceived value" of my COLA-protected pension which makes my numbers pretty useless to most people. What is my "perceived value" of my pension you ask? Basically the lump sum I would be required to have in order to draw 3.5% after tax.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Meaningless to me as I do not include my home value in my net worth.
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
poorcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

A very interesting poll...If not the home, what does make up the majority of net worth?
I am doing some reflection on what this means, it seems logical for those that downsize to have a smaller %, but we tend to keep up sizing and live in the heart of Microsoft country where values are crazy. (We spent >500k on a starter home for our kids)
For us its 25% home, 25% business, 20% rentals, 30% equities and bonds
I don't consider personal property, pensions, vehicles, or horses in my NW.
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorcarver View Post
If this is the case, then why even respond?

I think it's a reflection of folks here...it's all about the Benjamins and many people (at least myself) here probably like crunching numbers. I do it incessantly. Is it really necessary? Yeah probably not, but then again, that is some of the reason I am FIREd, too.

Also, this number isn't for anything but an online poll that amounts to nothing more than a hill of beans. It took me about 20 seconds to come up with a number...and it doesn't change anything in the grand scheme of things.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyras View Post
A very interesting poll...If not the home, what does make up the majority of net worth?
Tax deferred accounts in our case... By a lot. Even the non-tax-preferred accounts exceed what I carry the house on the books for.

That's why location is so important when looking at these polls/threads. We clearly don't live in NYC, NorCal, or Seattle. (We have over 4000 square ft on 25 acres, 25 minutes commute to state capital.)
Old 07-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I have a 1400 sq-ft house on a 7000 sq-ft lot. Yup, pretty small. But it doesn't cost much to heat or cool and it's a cozy nook for 2 people with no stairs. I've lived in this house for 28 years and no plans to move. During that time it's tripled in value but the property tax has gone up only 60%. Last year I installed solar to keep my utilities low.

It's one thing that makes for a nice stress free retirement -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #11

I put 25% or more, but I don't count the value of pension in my NW normally, so I didn't include that in the calculation. Otherwise it would have been quite a bit lower.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #12

Quote:
this is me
Old 07-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #13

Interesting poll. I like it. I remember a time when I was "house rich, cash poor" (right after buying my first home). This (at 4% of NW) feels more comfy.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And neither does this poll.........
Old 07-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #15

I answered 20%. Our home is 4,500 sq ft on 2.2 acres with a pool and pond. We're in a reasonably LCOL area in Texas, although very much a seller's market at the moment. We plan to downsize at some point, which will drop this to probably 10-12%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
I put 25% or more, but I don't count the value of pension in my NW normally, so I didn't include that in the calculation. Otherwise it would have been quite a bit lower.
+1

My numbers above were all based on NW excluding the NPV of our 2 pensions. Had we both taken the lump sum option, our number would be 14% now and 8% after downsizing. Lots of issues trying to measure and compare stuff like this, but it's still interesting to see the results, which right now are spread out fairly equally.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #16

I live in coastal SoCal... nuff said.

Doesn't matter... I like where I live. My house is paid off and moderately sized (2k sf). It doesn't cost much to stay here since Prop 13 keeps the taxes low.

I could sell and buy something cheaper elsewhere... but I have enough nest egg I don't need to. And, like I said... I like where I live. I like being a 15 minute drive to the beach (where I walk the dog, daily). I like being coastal with the moderating breezes/temps. I like my neighbors.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #17

Doesn't matter... I like where I live. My house is paid off and moderately sized (2k sf). It doesn't cost much to stay here since Prop 13 keeps the taxes low.

I could sell and buy something cheaper elsewhere... but I have enough nest egg I don't need to. And, like I said... I like where I live. I like being a 15 minute drive to the beach (where I walk the dog, daily). I like being coastal with the moderating breezes/temps. I like my neighbors.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post

+1. These are important points--and sometimes get overlooked when people stress how much capital one could theoretically free up by departing for LCOL area. (Us, we made a considered decision to stay in flyover land, save, and vacation to warm water coral reefs; others made the opposite decision. Neither way is objectively correct, IMHO.)
Old 07-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyras View Post
A very interesting poll...If not the home, what does make up the majority of net worth?...
Well, many people have stocks, bonds, cash that are worth a lot more than their home(s). And not everybody lives in coastal areas where homes are expensive.

Homes in California are so expensive, it makes me cringe when seeing small old homes going for $500K-600K.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Well, many people have stocks, bonds, cash that are worth a lot more than their home(s). And not everybody lives in coastal areas where homes are expensive.

Homes in California are so expensive, it makes me cringe when seeing small old homes going for $500K-600K.
My old college roommate moved out to the San Jose area 15 years ago & bought a 3/2 SFR for around $500,000 then.

Zillow pegs it at $1,500,000 today, and comps look close to that number.

Because of the above, his company is having trouble attracting workers, and may move out of state. If so, I think my buddy will be able to finance his ER on the home sale alone...
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote