Poll: How are your fixed income assets invested?

My fixed income assets are invested in?

• Mostly/entirely in bond funds

Votes: 79 74.5%
  • A mix with more than 30% in funds or indiv bonds

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • Mostly/entirely in individual bonds

Votes: 7 6.6%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hopefully the question makes what I'm polling clear...

For me, mostly an equal amount of 3 year CDs and longer GNMAs, recently added some Preferred stocks.

Last edited:
Given the abysmal rates available on CD's my fixed income is primarily in the TSP G Fund which is yielding approx. 2.5%. I have some I-Bonds and the rest is in high yield savings and checking accounts (i.e. Discover Bank, Capital One). No bond funds at all.

I have more than 30% in individual muni bonds, but these were bought in '08 and '09 during the market drop and the bonds were being sold in panic mode and the deals were too good to pass up. Before that and since, I prefer funds to individual bonds. This past year, we have also invested in some muni CEFs, but they are risky.

All my bonds are in bond funds, so I chose the first option in the poll. My fixed income is mostly TSP G Fund, and also includes Total Bond Market Index (VBTLX) and Wellesley (VWIAX). Also, I have a little bit (5.5%) in a Vanguard money market fund at an abysmally low interest rate, completing the 55% fixed part of my AA.

Last edited:
I don't consider CD's fixed income, I'd count them as cash. But then I don't think I've ever constructed a poll exactly as intended, and in this case the distinction shouldn't matter much (presumably most, but not all, investors have little in "cash" and many hold that as money market funds).

I voted mostly/all in bond funds but that actually includes half of the bonds being in balanced funds (Wellington/Wellesley). Seems you intended that as a part of this choice here.

I voted mostly/all in bond funds but that actually includes half of the bonds being in balanced funds (Wellington/Wellesley). Seems you intended that as a part of this choice here.
Indeed, they are both funds that include bonds.

You can put me in bond fund category. VBTLX, DODIX, and a stable value fund make up 50% of my portfolio.

Inherited a number of US Treasury bonds and notes, all paying between 4% and 7% interest. They're maturing at a rate of one per year until 2022. Sadly, there's nothing that safe earning that kind of return to reinvest in as each one matures (so far).

Wondering why annuities are not a poll option. Even though many disdain them, others probably use them. Am I misinterpreting "fixed income"?

Amethyst

Wondering why annuities are not a poll option. Even though many disdain them, others probably use them. Am I misinterpreting "fixed income"?

Amethyst

Annuities are kind of similar to pensions in some respects, and pensions aren't included either. I am speculating that perhaps the OP wanted to know whether mutual funds or individual bonds were preferred by those investing in bonds (?). At least, that is how I interpreted the question.

20% bond funds & 80% individual bonds. 24% of bonds in tax exempts. Fixed income (bond related) = 48% of total combined equity and fixed income portfolio.

Based on the poll options, seems like the poll question should be "How is the bond portion of your AA invested?" with an additional "I don't have bonds" option.

If one is getting a pension they already have an annuity. One is better to create their own annuity through a diversified portfolio. Once you purchase an annuity you have lost control of that money and if you die prematurely that money is gone. But I guess again everybody has their own situations and they might work for some.

40/60 AA. 37% TGCFX- TCW Core Fixed Inc, 36% VWIAX - Wellesley. 12% WEIFX - Weitz Short-Intermed Inc, 11% VBIRX - VG Short Term Bond Indx - 4% I Bonds.

My emergency funds are in a CD ladder and savings accounts. As the CDS mature I will put $10k a year into I Bonds and the balance into savings until interest rates go up and then go back to CDs.

I currently own both individual issues (CDs/i-bonds) and bond funds (munis, corporates).

I am getting ready to sell some of the bond funds to raise some cash, so I will own mostly individual bonds in a few weeks.

Hmm, pretty limited poll. Other fixed income assets have been outperforming bonds. Personally prefer stable value and CD's right now. Inflation protected bonds might be good.

With the exception of some EE bonds thru w*rk which haven't matured yet, pretty much the rest of fixed income assets in bond funds (namely, Total Bond Fund Index).

I do own a portion in Wellington, but I don't count that in my AA, as that's for my HSA which I view independently. (I put money in, then spend it out year to year and don't treat that as an investment or count that in my net worth).

Other than the TSP G fund, most of my fixed income $$ is invested in a mix of Vanguard GNMA and Vanguard Wellesley (which is actually a balanced fund).

I am speculating that perhaps the OP wanted to know whether mutual funds or individual bonds were preferred by those investing in bonds (?). At least, that is how I interpreted the question.
Zactly :cool:

I am entirely bond funds, mostly due to inertia. I keep trying to talk myself into some individual bonds, but haven't convinced myself yet.

And thanks to all who have/are voting.

Based on the poll options, seems like the poll question should be "How is the bond portion of your AA invested?" with an additional "I don't have bonds" option.
That would mix two questions and risk compromising the result. I am just trying to find out how many people (go to the trouble to) invest in individual bonds vs bond funds, that simple.

Last edited:
Zactly :cool:

I am entirely bond funds, mostly due to inertia. I keep trying to talk myself into some individual bonds, but haven't convinced myself yet.

And thanks to all who have/are voting.
Your poll suggests that most people are bond funds. I would also say that being in intermidiate funds is the way to go right now.

Back
Top Bottom