Poll:How Do You Get Your Insurance (Home, Auto, Umbrella)?

How Do You Get Your Insurance (Home, Auto, Umbrella)?

• Traditional via Captive Agents (State Farm, Allstate...)

Votes: 57 37.7%
  • Direct (Geico, Progressive ...)

Votes: 48 31.8%
  • Independent Agent/Agency

Votes: 40 26.5%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.0%

• Total voters

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Got a letter in the mail a few days ago. My insurance agent from on of the major insurance companies, that I like decided to pursue other career interests so I got assigned to a new agent.

Got me thinking whether best to just stay with the same company or make some changes.

How do you get your insurance? Traditional (like State Farm, Allstate)? Direct (like Geico, Progressive)? or through an independent agent/agency?

I use a local (in town) agent.

I selected traditional as currently have AmFam. Have tried Geico in the past.

I've been with the same independent agent for more than the past 25 years. He takes care of my insurance needs for my home, umbrella, cars, everything except my medical coverage. Somehow he get's me really great deals on my cars (collectables) and even on my newer sports cars. I moved 150 miles away from his office ~10 years ago but he still handles it all.

Last edited:
I've had State Farm for years and years but am going to look around at other options when all my policies come up for renewal. They have raised their car rates a LOT and
I think I can get a better deal elsewhere.

We shopped thoroughly. Ended up with home and auto with Ameriprise through Costco. No one else could come close. State Farm is one of the more annoying Co's as the junk mail has killed several acres of trees.

I've had State Farm for years and years but am going to look around at other options when all my policies come up for renewal. They have raised their car rates a LOT and

I was in the same boat and did indeed find a better deal.

Love the USAA service. I've got home, auto, earthquake, umbrella with them. DS has all his there too. GS1 has music instrument & renters there.

DD is with Progressive for her home / auto. Think she did it online

I've had State Farm for 37 years. I shop the rates occasionally and can never do better. The agent is good, too.

I’ve been with Liberty Mutual for about 40 years. We’ve had 1 auto claim (though substantial) and zero homeowners claims. We’ve gotten letters and emails through the years but I’ve never met our agent, and don’t feel the need to. What am I missing?

I do get quotes from competitors almost every year when it’s time to re-up, and I’d have no qualms switching to a reputable direct online if there are savings. Seems every year when I check auto is the same everywhere but homeowners is way more expensive with others than what we pay with LM?

Last edited:
USAA is my primary. They won’t insure my Florida condo or our New Jersey Shore home, so I had to go with other companies. The USAA umbrella policy wouldn’t cover our New Jersey Shore property because we plan to rent it out weekly during the summer season. So we were forced to find another company, with the help of USAA, for umbrella coverage of everything. They found us an A++ rated company that is $600 less per year for a $5M umbrella policy that includes the short term rental. The only difference I can see is a higher level of underlying coverage of $1M for auto liability, which we had anyway. Turned out well for us!

Always use an independent agent and shop every 3 - 4 years. Currently with Farmers Mutual. And, always high deductibles ... I hate paying premiums

Last edited:
USAA since forever. I've never been offered better rates from anyone else. Their service can be a bit spotty at times, but 98% of the time it's outstanding.

The only times I've been away from USAA were when I was stationed overseas where they don't operate. In those cases I used a local agent who worked through Lloyds of London. Always came right back to USAA when I returned to the US.

State Farm for my car for the last 31 years, when I bought my first car. State Farm for my apartment since 1999 after having it insured by Allstate from 1990-1999 (a friend at the time was an agent so I gave him my business; after we drifted apart, I switched to SF).

Independant agent but last year went with State Farm for everything. At the time their prices were competitive. But when we added a 3rd vehicle the cost for that one alone was more than the other 2 combined! So we recently switched back to the same indie agent we've used for over 30 years and are now saving $2000/year with top quality companies.
SF has a business model that I don't care for, give us all or nothing apparently.

Back
Top Bottom