Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which of these asset classes is represented by a single fund in your portfolio?
US Large Cap stocks (S&P 500 index or similar) 41 66.13%
US Mid Cap stocks (S&P mid cap 400 index or similar) 22 35.48%
US Small cap stocks (S&P small cap 600 index or similar) 34 54.84%
US Total market index (Wilshire 5000 or similar) 33 53.23%
Foreign large cap stocks (MCSI EAFE or FTSE all world or similar) 44 70.97%
Bonds (generic bond Barclays US Aggregate index) 28 45.16%
Bonds- high yield 12 19.35%
Bonds- corporate 16 25.81%
Bonds- government 17 27.42%
Bonds- inflation protected 7 11.29%
Bonds- foreign (corporate, government, high yield, emerging markets, other) 12 19.35%
cash 28 45.16%
Other (stock, bond, cash, precious metals not accounted for above) 29 46.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2015, 09:04 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
My long term goal is to simplify my portfolio to the three fund style (Total US Stock, Total US Bond, Total International Stock). I hope to accomplish this before age 70 (13 years).

On the bond side, I recently replaced all my various bond funds with Vanguard Total Bond Market.

On the stock side, I did some tax loss harvesting last year to consolidate my international funds down to Vanguard Total International Stock Market. But I have a ways to go with US equities. I currently own funds in each of the equity categories listed in the poll, plus REIT. It will take some time to reduce the US portion to a single Total US Stock fund because of significant holdings and gains in taxable accounts.

Now the fun begins
cranberryjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 09:32 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
I have 12 funds. Mostly index funds but also a few actively managed funds
(3) Large cap funds
Fidelity ContraFund
Oakmark Select
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index

(1) Mid Cap Fund
Fidelity Low Priced Stock

(1) Small Cap Fund
Vanguard Small Cap Index

(1) Health Care Fund
Vanguard Health Care Index

(1) Energy fund
Vanguard Energy Index

(1) Real Estate Fund
Vanguard Real Estate Index

(1) Emerging Markets Fund
Vanguard Emerging Markets Index

(2) Emerging Markets Bond Funds
Fidelity New Market Bond Fund
TCW Emerging Markets Bond

(1) Bond Fund
TCW Total Return Fund

Im at 60/40 with a total expense ratio of 0.43%

This mix has beaten Vanguard Wellington over the past 3, 5,and 10 years but with a tad more volatility. I use Wellington as my total benchmark since its a very good 60/40 fund.

At one point I thought this many funds might be excessive but then I did a back test of this portfolio to get the 10 year return for these 13 funds with the correct percentages. I included withdrawing 4% plus inflation every year. The back test resulted in a 8.1% return over the past 10 years. I did another back test but this time with rebalancing every year. This backtest resulted in an 8.8% return. After 10 years the rebalanced portfolio had 10% more money. If I had many less funds there would be alot less opportunities to rebalance between funds so Im leaving my portfolio as is.
I own everything but the bond and EM funds you list here...with the exception of Contra, but I own APPL and UNP and a few others that I would consider make up my own "contra".

My expense ration is only .09 however which is odd but I think the main difference being 25% of my AA is in stocks at the moment with a total of 15funds. I am still in the accumulation stage of my wealth.

after this last dip S&P has barely got me beat this year. Energy has hurt me. Thinking of buying into EM again perhaps after Greece thing calms.

AA (Stock/Bond/Cash ): 90/0/10% MIX (Small/Mid/Large): X/Y/Z% BLEND(US/Foreign): 100/0%, (Value/Growth/Blend): X/X/X% REIT (Real Estate Equity): X% of Assets

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $3.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote