Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2008, 08:05 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't looked in detail, but my net worth is down about 5% or a little over 100K. I'm still in the accumulation phase with paid employment (and DCA'ing), so that lessens the drop.

While it's a little disappointing, I haven't lost any sleep over it. I look at the recent drop as a positive thing. Not only are stocks less expensive (as others have mentioned), but a falling market illustrates the value of risk. If equity (and bond) investments didn't have risk, they would earn the same rate as a savings account at your local bank. The fact that the equity market is sharply down simply emphasizes it's long-term potential for higher return.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Down about 10% even with 40% in cash. Everything I own was trashed.

mP

Old 03-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Networth down about 5.3% from high. Portfolio is down 10% from high.

A more interesting question might be where are you since EOY 2004 or some other date that would show the upside of your investing.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:03 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Down about 10% but thanks to this ER site I realize that this is just normal. I have even learned not to look at it and am actually ignoring the market. I am still maxing out my 401k contributions as well as after tax contributions. I am looking at this as a "DCA buy low" period and since I only have a few years left to contribute, this could very well be good for my future net worth. I hope so.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:08 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

On March 3rd, the last time I dared to look, investments were down 1.8% from the late 2007 high, but our house keeps increasing in value which has pretty much canceled out the loss to our net worth.
Since we are retired, we are a lot more conservatively invested--we took five years of living expenses from equities and rolled them into CDs late last year. We now have about 55% equities, so we fared pretty well all in all. And, since we don't plan to sell stocks any time soon, you could say we haven't lost a dime!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quicken says -14.36% ROI 10/12/07 - 3/19/08 (401k and Roth IRA)

90% stock, 10% bonds

Looking forward to an upward trend
Old 03-19-2008, 09:52 PM   #67

Down about 6.7%, including estimated equity drop in house, but also including savings contributions and bonus in February. 60% stocks.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #68

Quicken says down 3.8% since Oct 2007, but worse because I havent revalued real estate and business equity that equal more than half of net worth
Old 03-19-2008, 10:37 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Down lots of dollars like other prudent investors who have been robbed by the Greenspan/Bernanke gang's artificially low rates.

Capital being slaughtered by inflation.

A casualty in the war-on-savers.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:17 PM   #70

I'm totally clueless as I haven't looked. It's times like that that I am glad that I run with an Excel spreadsheet with totals by category rather than a program such as Quicken. I know everything is going down, but I also know that it is unlikely I will need to access my investments for some time to come. It is times like this that make me grateful that I am 45% in cash.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:21 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
It is times like this that make me grateful that I am 45% in cash.
IMO you should go a shopping trip for some great bargains before the sale is over.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:33 AM   #72

Quote:
This wild market in the last 6 months has been more worry than I ever had with 30+ years of rentals
outtarentals.. sounds like you are gonna do ok, though, as more people will be renting now!

Quote:
No REITS though thank god.
Yeah, after reading about AA I went for those! (not a huge amount but enough to cause add'l. pain I don't need). But I didn't go for gold/commodities.. D'oh!!

Quote:
I'm feeling the pinch.
Cybrmike, wanna trade places?
Old 03-20-2008, 04:10 AM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I haven't calculated it exactly... but from the recent high I am somewhere between 8 - 10% off.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
I look at the recent drop as a positive thing. Not only are stocks less expensive (as others have mentioned), but a falling market illustrates the value of risk. If equity (and bond) investments didn't have risk, they would earn the same rate as a savings account at your local bank. The fact that the equity market is sharply down simply emphasizes it's long-term potential for higher return.
This reminds me of the time that the Megacorp I worked for in 1987 announced a new openness policy regarding discussion of salaries. A HR rep sat down with each employee and showed them where their salary was located within the newly divulged salary brackets. I happened to be at rock bottom in my bracket, which didn't please me, since all my colleagues were not at the bottom. The HR rep insisted that I was the luckiest guy in the organization, though....with all that room for salary growth! She was a maker of lemonade..a real spinmeister!

Anyway, I'm down 3.1% since 9/30/07 (I only calculate and record networth quarterly). Not as lucky as many on the board, I guess. Less room for growth, so to speak, but definitely more within my downside comfort zone.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

I am up, been 100% cd cash since the thing started.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #76

I have no money in the stock market.

My net worth has increased.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:01 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
This reminds me of the time that the Megacorp I worked for in 1987 announced a new openness policy regarding discussion of salaries. A HR rep sat down with each employee and showed them where their salary was located within the newly divulged salary brackets. I happened to be at rock bottom in my bracket, which didn't please me, since all my colleagues were not at the bottom. The HR rep insisted that I was the luckiest guy in the organization, though....with all that room for salary growth! She was a maker of lemonade..a real spinmeister.
What she should have said was: As the lowest-paid employee in your classification, you're the least likely to be let go in a layoff...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
This reminds me of the time that the Megacorp I worked for in 1987 announced a new openness policy regarding discussion of salaries. A HR rep sat down with each employee and showed them where their salary was located within the newly divulged salary brackets. I happened to be at rock bottom in my bracket, which didn't please me, since all my colleagues were not at the bottom. The HR rep insisted that I was the luckiest guy in the organization, though....with all that room for salary growth! She was a maker of lemonade..a real spinmeister!
I understand your point. It certainly doesn't feel good to have a drop in net worth or be at the lower end of the salary bracket. However, I look at your story in a different way. If everyone at Megacorp made the same salary, there would be no incentive to take risk and no chance to get ahead. Megacorp would be a fairly mediocre place. This is analogous to the savings rate at a bank. Safe, fairly consistent, but not the road to long-term wealth. But a broad salary bracket suggests opportunity for growth. At times you'll be at the bottom and at times you'll be at the top. And the top is much better than the bottom, so if you remain at Megacorp for 20-30 years, your cumulative income is almost guaranteed to be greater than if you work at a place where everyone makes the same guaranteed salary. This is analogous to stocks.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #79

That's a healthy and mature way of looking at things. I think most people tend to slam doors and kick the cat more when the market is way down, rather than seeing it as an indicator that the market is operating as it should. Good on you.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:32 PM   #80

I only keep quarterly records but looking back the high was 10/1, and since then it is down approx 1.5%

Tags
net worth