Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

down 8.4%

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:54 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Wow... I see we have some market timers in the group.

{whisper} psssst, most lose with that approach!

Good luck.

Oh well. I used to do it also. It was an expensive education.
Unless I missed something it seems most are periodic investing through this recent downturn. Although I did invest my most recent monthly aliquot the day before the 400+ gain .

DD

Old 03-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #103

Arrrrrgggghhhhhh, raging hormones are acting up. I see bargains all around. Being RE and in dispersement mode, I don't have any discretionary funds to invest. Testosterone is building up so badly, I am eyeing my 5 year CD/MM buckets.
Lord help this sinner (keep his hands off the bucket and stick to his plan).
Old 03-22-2008, 04:43 AM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
Arrrrrgggghhhhhh, raging hormones are acting up. I see bargains all around. Being RE and in dispersement mode, I don't have any discretionary funds to invest. Testosterone is building up so badly, I am eyeing my 5 year CD/MM buckets.
Lord help this sinner (keep his hands off the bucket and stick to his plan).
Fear and Greed my friend... or should I say my fiend.

If you have a few bucks you want to play with, I would not see a problem with that.

It is a strong urge... if affects me too. But I am sticking with the plan.

I am still working. What keeps me on the straight and narrow is the thought of having to work a few more years if I make a bad call.

I suspect that when I ER my concern that will keep me on the path is the fear of compromising our lifestyle (or going back to work ).
Old 03-22-2008, 08:21 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Fear and Greed my friend... or should I say my fiend.

If you have a few bucks you want to play with, I would not see a problem with that.

It is a strong urge... if affects me too. But I am sticking with the plan.

I am still working. What keeps me on the straight and narrow is the thought of having to work a few more years if I make a bad call.

I suspect that when I ER my concern that will keep me on the path is the fear of compromising our lifestyle (or going back to work ).
I just needed to vent a bit. Thanks for your words of support (? )
It is a strong urge... and I do have a few bucks that I could throw at it, but I know I'd be sorry in the morning ...
I am sticking to my plan too... too many years of planning and implementing for me to change. Old (OLD) Dog ya know
... and just for the record ... it's the greed part that I have the battle with ...

Just had family over for dinner ... had bottle of Aust. vino and a drop or two of cognac ... so I'm mellowed out now. Think I'll watch a movie with the DW.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

I was trying to wait until the end of the quarter to look, but couldn't resist any longer. Down 9.54% from peak in November (when I invested the proceeds from selling my condo - great timing), down 6.03% YTD.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Our high water mark was approximately 10/12/07. Since then we're down 7.9% and this includes spending. AA is 55/45 but right now has gone to 52/48. Made up my mind to be slow in rebalancing before we went into this downturn because the bull market was quite long and there were plenty of excesses (although not really located in the equity markets). I don't think I'll rebalance until maybe late in 2008.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

Why shop at a 10 to 20% off sale, when there will be a 40 to 50% sale a little later?

Save your money and go to Vegas, buy liquor, drugs, three hours with Kristen Dupre' or some other economic stimulus with what you save.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:02 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
Why shop at a 10 to 20% off sale, when there will be a 40 to 50% sale a little later?

Save your money and go to Vegas, buy liquor, drugs, three hours with Kristen Dupre' or some other economic stimulus with what you save.
Ahhh... But your crystal ball could be wrong . Even so I will be investing again mid-month, every month, and will be buying at 40% off if it comes to that. In the meantime I've locked in the ~20% sale price

DD
Old 03-23-2008, 09:40 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

If I'm really lucky, the downturn will last until Jan 2, 2009, and I can buy some more stock when I rebalance. Whee!
Old 03-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

This thread has actually made me feel a lot better! I would say I'm down around 10% - but it's hard to figure, because I'm down significantly but have continued contributions, so it would take me some time to figure out exactly the decline.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
If I'm really lucky, the downturn will last until Jan 2, 2009, and I can buy some more stock when I rebalance. Whee!
This might be the time to consider rebalancing when you reach some out-of-balance threshold rather than hoping that the market stays out of balance for the rest of the year.

Audrey
Old 03-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
The S&P500 was off by 15% on March 3, 08 from its high of 1,565.15 last year. Your 55% equity portfolio was down only 1.8%?
Well--your question made me think a bit, and I may have the answer: I only calculate the value of all my investments quarterly--except when I checked on March 3rd. So, my 1.8% loss was really only between my quarterly "high" (September 31st, 2007) and March 3rd, 2008. Maybe my portfolio was actually worth a lot more at some point, and I just don't know about it because it occurred when I wasn't looking. If that's the case, then I may have lost more than I know.
If I don't actually know how high my account went, I can't really say how much I lost...
(I guess ignorance really is bliss.)
Old 03-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

Up about 8% I guess.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:30 PM   #115
Dryer sheet aficionado

Down a little

Well according to my excel spread sheet I'm down 3.22% since my all time high on 6/01/07. Down 1.89% since the first of the year. This includes all expenditures and any revenue from part-time work. I have a 40/60 AA. 40% equities 60% fixed. Does not include housing which I have no idea about. Just cash assets.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

My net worth includes mortgage-free real estate. Liquid investments comprise the remaining 65% of my net worth. My investment portfolio actually peaked only about 12 or 14 days ago. Since then, I've gotten killed, down 8%. Any guesses where I'm heavily invested? Yes, commodities, both hard and soft. I've nothing to complain about, I've been heavily into oil and metals for 5 or 6 years, agriculture since last fall, so I'm just giving back a little of what have been very nice returns. But I'd prefer not to give back any more, thank-you! And, I'm not making any move. I'm kind of hard to budge when I believe in a story.

Tags
net worth