Poll: how has your net worth changed since market highs?

Wow... I see we have some market timers in the group.

{whisper} psssst, most lose with that approach!

Good luck.

Oh well. I used to do it also. It was an expensive education. :eek:

Unless I missed something it seems most are periodic investing through this recent downturn. Although I did invest my most recent monthly aliquot the day before the 400+ gain :D.

DD

Arrrrrgggghhhhhh, raging hormones are acting up. I see bargains all around. Being RE and in dispersement mode, I don't have any discretionary funds to invest. Testosterone is building up so badly, I am eyeing my 5 year CD/MM buckets.
Lord help this sinner >:D (keep his hands off the bucket and stick to his plan). :rolleyes::2funny:

Arrrrrgggghhhhhh, raging hormones are acting up. I see bargains all around. Being RE and in dispersement mode, I don't have any discretionary funds to invest. Testosterone is building up so badly, I am eyeing my 5 year CD/MM buckets.
Lord help this sinner >:D (keep his hands off the bucket and stick to his plan). :rolleyes::2funny:

Fear and Greed my friend... or should I say my fiend. ;)

If you have a few bucks you want to play with, I would not see a problem with that.

It is a strong urge... if affects me too. But I am sticking with the plan.

I am still working. What keeps me on the straight and narrow is the thought of having to work a few more years if I make a bad call.

I suspect that when I ER my concern that will keep me on the path is the fear of compromising our lifestyle (or going back to work :p).

Fear and Greed my friend... or should I say my fiend. ;)

If you have a few bucks you want to play with, I would not see a problem with that.

It is a strong urge... if affects me too. But I am sticking with the plan.

I am still working. What keeps me on the straight and narrow is the thought of having to work a few more years if I make a bad call.

I suspect that when I ER my concern that will keep me on the path is the fear of compromising our lifestyle (or going back to work :p).
>:D I just needed to vent a bit. Thanks for your words of support (? :cool:)
It is a strong urge... and I do have a few bucks that I could throw at it, but I know I'd be sorry in the morning ...
I am sticking to my plan too... too many years of planning and implementing for me to change. Old (OLD) Dog ya know :rolleyes:
... and just for the record ... it's the greed part that I have the battle with ...

Just had family over for dinner ... had bottle of Aust. vino and a drop or two of cognac ... so I'm mellowed out now. Think I'll watch a movie with the DW. :angel:

I was trying to wait until the end of the quarter to look, but couldn't resist any longer. Down 9.54% from peak in November (when I invested the proceeds from selling my condo - great timing:rolleyes:), down 6.03% YTD.

Our high water mark was approximately 10/12/07. Since then we're down 7.9% and this includes spending. AA is 55/45 but right now has gone to 52/48. Made up my mind to be slow in rebalancing before we went into this downturn because the bull market was quite long and there were plenty of excesses (although not really located in the equity markets). I don't think I'll rebalance until maybe late in 2008.

Why shop at a 10 to 20% off sale, when there will be a 40 to 50% sale a little later?

Save your money and go to Vegas, buy liquor, drugs, three hours with Kristen Dupre' or some other economic stimulus with what you save.

Why shop at a 10 to 20% off sale, when there will be a 40 to 50% sale a little later?

Save your money and go to Vegas, buy liquor, drugs, three hours with Kristen Dupre' or some other economic stimulus with what you save.

Ahhh... But your crystal ball could be wrong :cool:. Even so I will be investing again mid-month, every month, and will be buying at 40% off if it comes to that. In the meantime I've locked in the ~20% sale price ;)

DD

If I'm really lucky, the downturn will last until Jan 2, 2009, and I can buy some more stock when I rebalance. Whee!

This thread has actually made me feel a lot better! I would say I'm down around 10% - but it's hard to figure, because I'm down significantly but have continued contributions, so it would take me some time to figure out exactly the decline.

If I'm really lucky, the downturn will last until Jan 2, 2009, and I can buy some more stock when I rebalance. Whee!
This might be the time to consider rebalancing when you reach some out-of-balance threshold rather than hoping that the market stays out of balance for the rest of the year.

Audrey

The S&P500 was off by 15% on March 3, 08 from its high of 1,565.15 last year. Your 55% equity portfolio was down only 1.8%?
Well--your question made me think a bit, and I may have the answer: I only calculate the value of all my investments quarterly--except when I checked on March 3rd. So, my 1.8% loss was really only between my quarterly "high" (September 31st, 2007) and March 3rd, 2008. Maybe my portfolio was actually worth a lot more at some point, and I just don't know about it because it occurred when I wasn't looking. If that's the case, then I may have lost more than I know.
If I don't actually know how high my account went, I can't really say how much I lost...
(I guess ignorance really is bliss.)

Down a little

Well according to my excel spread sheet I'm down 3.22% since my all time high on 6/01/07. Down 1.89% since the first of the year. This includes all expenditures and any revenue from part-time work. I have a 40/60 AA. 40% equities 60% fixed. Does not include housing which I have no idea about. Just cash assets.
:)

My net worth includes mortgage-free real estate. Liquid investments comprise the remaining 65% of my net worth. My investment portfolio actually peaked only about 12 or 14 days ago. Since then, I've gotten killed, down 8%. Any guesses where I'm heavily invested? Yes, commodities, both hard and soft. I've nothing to complain about, I've been heavily into oil and metals for 5 or 6 years, agriculture since last fall, so I'm just giving back a little of what have been very nice returns. But I'd prefer not to give back any more, thank-you! And, I'm not making any move. I'm kind of hard to budge when I believe in a story.

Back
Top Bottom