Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How long after FI did you retire?
Less than 1 year 27 26.47%
More than 1 year, but less than 3 34 33.33%
More than 3 years, but less than 5 20 19.61%
More than 5 years, but less than 10 18 17.65%
More than 10 years 3 2.94%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Meadbh
Scope creep! Ask yourself whether you would be OK if the sh*t hit the fan. If the answer is yes, you are FI. Beyond that, it's discretionary.
I like that definition!

We hit the FI point by that definition maybe 6-8 years ago. I'll hang in there at w*rk for another 1-3 years.

scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #42
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Scope creep! Ask yourself whether you would be OK if the sh*t hit the fan. If the answer is yes, you are FI. Beyond that, it's discretionary.
And amazing how that "discretionary" def of FI can change over the yrs. If "discretionary" def of FI gets too big it can cause a variation of OMY Syndrome.
BTW- Agree with others who say often their best times in life were during times of low NW. FI is fine, but $$$ does not buy happiness.

ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #43
I'm not really sure when we became FI because although I knew our net worth, I didn't feel like I had a good enough handle on future expenses to declare "FI". I had planned to ER at 58 in 2015 (eligibility for unreduced pension), following DH who ERd (disability) several years ago. After taking care of major expenses (buy retirement house, remodel it, sell previous house, buy new car, have $$ to put DD and DS through private college) it became clear in mid-2010 that we were more than FI (even with the market still in recovery mode). So I decided that my BS-bucket overflows were toxic enough to pull the plug. It really was perfect timing in many ways.
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute." William Feather
ER'd Oct. 2010 at 53. Life is good.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #44
I became eligible for my main pension in January this year. I could retire today (wife still working) and our net income would be + $500 per month over what it is now with me still working. So, that's $6k per yr increase, with no W/D from retirement savings.

I'm primarily still working to put additional funds into my TSP, but will not work past the end of this year.

Wife will only work another couple of years, then her income is gone, and she has no pension, only a small 401k. I've decided to try not to tap the TSP until she retires, which will put us pretty close to the start of my military pension at age 60.

I've posted my plans before, but the scenario seems to change as I evaluate things more. I'm starting to feel fairly comfortable that we'll be ok. The amount of my pension is net after taxes, health & life insurance, and 55% survivor's benefits.

I'm not gonna feel right not contributing to my TSP anymore....

W2R, I need to talk to you sometime about post-retirement TSP allocations...
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #45
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
W2R, I need to talk to you sometime about post-retirement TSP allocations...
Be glad to, and I should probably send you a PM but instead I will summarize my present TSP strategy here. The TSP is a great asset for a retiree IMO.

My situation may not correspond to yours. In retirement I've got my TSP 100% in G Fund, as part of my portfolio's bond allocation. I also have a sizeable taxable portfolio that has sufficient equities in it to (hopefully) grow and more than keep up with inflation.

I take equal monthly withdrawals from the G Fund, which are very secure since the G Fund share price cannot decrease. So, it is sort of like a pension or annuity or SS, providing rock solid monthly income.

With so many articles being written like this one about what is going to happen to bond fund yield when interest rates eventually rise, it is nice to have a big chunk of my bond allocation in G Fund.

My TSP shrinks over time, as I withdraw from it right now. This is on purpose, for tax reasons. In another 5 years I will face RMD's from the TSP, plus I will claim SS, giving me more taxable income than presently. So, there are tax advantages to withdrawing from the TSP and shrinking it a little right now (lower RMD's in the future).
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets
I could have retired in 2008 but there was a large chunk of stock vesting in 2010 worth about 500 K so I resisted the urge to quit early and waited for the cushion to mature.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #47
I am not retired yet. 48 years old, and I guess I have been financially independent for the last five years or so.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #48
Am FI for my own existence with a 2.5%-2.75% WR funding a good midwest standard of living and one hell of a travel/fun budget, but hoping to find that special Mrs. MooreBonds to share the rest of my life with before fully disengaging from the workforce (and also have to know if the total family budget and whatever she adds to the portfolio will be enough for us).

Dryer sheets Schmyer sheets
MooreBonds is online now   Reply With Quote