Poll: How long did you track expenses before ER ?

How many years did you carefully track expenses before retiring ?

• none

Votes: 21 14.2%
  • 0 - 1 year

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • 1 - 2 years

Votes: 16 10.8%
  • 2 - 3 years

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • 3 - 4 years

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • 4 years or more

Votes: 75 50.7%

• Total voters

Live And Learn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a feeling I already know the answer, but I'd like to poll the group and see how many years our early retirees carefully tracked there expenses before retiring. I'm looking for responses from those who have already retired, rather than those who are planning to retire.

I am a religious Quicken user so I had a lot of data - at least 5 years but I think a couple years would be sufficient.

For me, about 20 years in Quicken. Of course I wasn't tracking for the purpose of preparing for ER 20 years ago, but when I wanted to assure myself of the numbers, I had 20 years of data to look back at.

I spent about 12 months analyzing the data before making the final decision to quit my job though.

Just 3 years. And when I saw that the recurrent charges for basic expenses were repeatable and within range, I called it done.

I didn't start tracking our expenses until after I quit, and not carefully for another couple of years. Pretty unique circumstances in our case, but I was confident and needed to make a decision by a certain date.

I voted zero but it is for semi-retirement. We have part time work we do from home that could probably be scaled up if needed, so maybe mine isn't a completely fair answer.

Then again we don't have to work any more to be able to retire completely, so maybe it is fair. But having the extra income as a fallback option made it an easier choice for us than it might be for other people.

Last edited:
LOL you guys crack me up - you didn't vote ?
I'm guessing they answered before seeing the poll option. When posting a poll the post text shows up a few minutes before the poll question and options.

I voted, I voted. Once I saw the poll that is. Do I get a button now?

I'm guessing they answered before seeing the poll option. When posting a poll the post text shows up a few minutes before the poll question and options.
Or maybe they are suffering from the dreaded OMP (One More Post) syndrome - waiting for just one more post before clicking the "vote" button. :cool:

I've tracked my expenses using Quicken for more than 20 years. Don't know how much it mattered for predicting retirement expenses. My living circumstances are changing so much with retirement that I have at best a very fuzzy idea what my post retirement expenses will be. I keep tracking them in retirement, but until I get settled in my new place in a year or so they will remain very fuzzy.

Two years. I had downloaded Quicken several years ago but found it very confusing, and it did not correctly account for all my credits and debits, so I got rid of it. For two years, once a year, I downloaded my bank files in spreadsheet format, enabling me to sort and analyze them in multiple ways on Excel. I also did projections and modeling. These data enabled me to build a fairly accurate retirement budget spreadsheet which I now use to analyze my expenses on a monthly basis. I intend to continue to do the monthly expense analysis for the next few years, until I am out of the Retirement Risk period. Doing it monthly allows me to adapt my spending if I am exceeding projections. Of course spending will vary significantly from month to month with annual payments, so it's important to look at one or two complete years. As Hermit notes above, moving introduces all sorts of one time expenses. It can also affect ongoing expenses. I did not begin my analysis until things had settled after a move. I am pretty sure that once the dust settled, the move decreased my ongoing expenses (and taxes).

Last edited:
I voted, I voted. Once I saw the poll that is. Do I get a button now?

I didn't realize there was a delay between the post and the poll - now I know.

For your effort you get ....

goldstaraward.png

wow, an inverse bell curve is not a common poll result

Started using MS Money to track expenses & investments since 1999. Started "seriously" using the Lifetime Planner about 5 years before ER... Probably should move to Quicken... I guess it is a old dog new tricks thing :)....

I started tracking expenses in whatever year the IBM XP came out. Employee discount still cost me over two grand. 20 Mb hard drive and 360kb floppy. 4.7 Mhz processor. How far we've come!

I started tracking expenses in whatever year the IBM XP came out. Employee discount still cost me over two grand. 20 Mb hard drive and 360kb floppy. 4.7 Mhz processor. How far we've come!

Yep - I remember the days ! When I first started working with a PC (4 years into my career !) I had to boot up using 2 floppy disks. EEk.

I can't vote in my own poll because I'm not retired yet but I tracked every dollar from Aug 2007 through July 2009. I nearly gave myself a heart attack realizing how much money was being totally wasted on junk I just didn't need. I knew I would never make my ER goal of retiring at 50 with that sort of spend. We cut back on the waste, but never felt a pinch. I have now also tracked every dollar for 2012 and 2013 and have used that to develop my ER plan (my ER plan is actually significantly higher than my current spend level).

Like Meadbh, I download my bank files and use Excel.

I've been using Quicken since 99 which is about 14 years before ER. I would feel lost without it!

We tracked our expenses with Quicken for about a decade before retiring. It has been an indispensable part of our planning.

I think I programmed a Basic application to track my expenses a few years after I started working. Updated to C after 5 years or so. Then Quicken for Mac and now Quicken for Windows. Probably 35 years worth of data we can still access. It's interesting to be able to figure out when you bought that old sofa or whatever.

I didn't track things on a nitty-gritty level. I figured we would want as much disposable income income in retirement as we had the last few years we were working. So, on a macro level I took total income and then deducted:
- what we were saving/investing (a significant chunk) since we figured we wouldn't be adding much to the nest egg;
- FICA since we would have no earned income in retirement;
- a swag for the lower income taxes we would be paying at a lower income level;
- another swag at what we would save on commuting costs, dry cleaning, the cleaning lady and the lawn mowing guy (since we would have more time and less money so we would do those on our own), lower auto insurance and other miscellaneous expenses attributable to working for a living.

I probably looked at 3-4 years worth of data for that and was comfortable that we would be OK. For reasons that are partly still inexplicable to me, the reality was that we didn't need quite as much income as I had figured we would.

I never tracked our expenses at the level of detail often demonstated by posters here. I knew our gross income, taxes, what was saved and what was spent. I'd occasionally look at some specifics when I felt I needed a deeper understanding of where money was going but only on an ad hoc basis. For example, when the cable TV bill went up, I looked at the past few years history and at alternatives.

Absolutely no regrets. To this day I can't say I've over spent or missed out on savings due to lack of having years and years of spending details. I think Mr Pareto is in play. I know, without journals, where the significant chunks of money are going.

Last edited:
I'm basically like youbet.

I care more about what I have than what I spent. But I do pay attention to that.

You mean the IBM XT. (Can't fail to show my superior memory!)

I waited a year, and was able to get a Mitsubishi clone that ran at 7.16MHz for the same price. Turbo mode!

That $2K is worth near $5K now with inflation! And how much did we make then?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom