Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many total credit cards/debit cards to keep in wallet/purse?
0 - what's a credit or debit card? 0 0%
1 - simple enough 21 14.79%
2 - a primary and a backup 43 30.28%
3 - a primary, and two backups 50 35.21%
4 - four or more, the more the merrier 24 16.90%
5 - other, there's always an other option 4 2.82%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: How Many Credit/Debit Cards in the Wallet/Purse?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: How Many Credit/Debit Cards in the Wallet/Purse?

I'm going soon on a trip for a niece's graduation. Traveling almost 1000 miles. Today I was lightening my wallet (putting away all those rewards cards).

Then I asked myself "How many total credit/debit cards should I bring along?"

Like most things, I'm sure there probably isn't a totally correct answer. But would like to read your opinions and of course, a poll .

Note: for Debit card, I'm talking about a debit card of a checking account, not a giftcard.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #2

I usually carry two credit cards (visa, AmEx) and one ATM card, and some cash. When on the road I usually carry more cash and keep some in the briefcase.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

As of this morning, I had 5 in my wallet. A Discover, a Mastercard bank debit card, and and three other Visa cards. But now I'm thinking, three total would be more than enough.

Though one time, in a few days timeframe, I had two rejected as the cc companies thought there was a security reason to reject them.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I said two, though it's really one credit card and one ATM /debit card. I have a $100 tucked away in my wallet, but I've had to break it it out less than once a year. Like MichaelB, when I travel I carry another $300-500 in cash just in case, I can't remember ever having to use that.

I use PayPal online whenever it's an option, does that count as another? And I'm looking forward to the day when smartphone payment apps are ubiquitous and I don't need any "cards" - then I can vote ZERO.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Carry at least 2 credit cards, each from a different bank. Years, ago, my bank placed my payment for both cards on one of the two accounts. As a result, one had a credit, the other was deliquent. So, they cut off BOTH cards just when I had taken 10 guests out to a business dinner. I learned.......two banks, so I carry a Visa card and a AMEX card........never had a problem since.

And, I always have cash as well. lots of singles, fives and tens. If you run into a problem, "tip" money fixes a lot of problems. I'm amazed at people that have to use a credit card for a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One credit card and one debit/ATM card. I use cash for most of what I buy so neither gets used very much, especially the debit card for purchases (last time was back in 2006 or 2008, I forget which).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #7

One card for the past 30+ years and use it primarily for gas and on line purchases and pay the balance monthly and can honestly say I have never paid a penny in credit card interest.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #8

3 Cdn credit cards (2 Amex, 1 Visa) :1 USD Credit card (Amex), 2 Debit cards one CDN one US. This whole cross border thing complicates it a lot. You have no idea how hard it is to get a US credit card without a SS number.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I usually carry two credit cards (visa, AmEx) and one ATM card, and some cash. When on the road I usually carry more cash and keep some in the briefcase.
Same here, except for the briefcase.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Like others, I carry 2 ccs (DC and MC) and a debit/ATM card that I use mostly for occasional cash hits.

Back in the 70's I must have carried a dozen or more ccs (big fat wallet) but when most gas stations/stores began taking MC/Visa/DC, I cut up the gas cards and store cards. Less is more.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
Administrator

Just one, a debit Mastercard, which I use for getting gas or groceries and so on. When I travel I do take more cash with me, out of habit.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Two credit cards and one ATM card -- the second credit card is a backup in case the Penfed Visa is compromised (again).
Old 05-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I take 2 CCs and leave my debit card at home when on the road. I also take plenty of cash. I notify the CC company ahead of time to let them know where I will be using the CC so there are no denial issues.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #14

I carry two in my wallet and another in my computer bag. Also I carry an emergency $100 - not a hundred dollar bill.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

2 debit cards from accounts with my credit union
2 VISA cashback cards, same bank, different accounts.
Approx $100 cash when close to home, up to $400 when away
Old 05-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #16

two credit one debit for checking and one debit for HSA
Old 05-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I only carry things in my wallet that I'm happy to lose or surrender.

Two credit cards (two different issuers), an ATM card, up to $100 cash. I carry a blank check, too, although that's a 1970s habit that probably needs to stop.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #18

1 credit card for online and store purchases since it is easier to return items.
If I frequently traveled long distances and out of state more I would have to get a debit card. I carry cash and a checkbook plus the one credit card.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #19

One credit union debit card (VISA logo) that's tied to my checking/savings accounts at that institution, and one AAFES credit card (Nords and other military types will know what that is about). No other credit cards. Shredded them all a few yrs ago.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #20

I was down to my third credit card on one trip after buying rental car gas at two stations in one day. The card company that issued my first two had a fast fraud trigger finger. The third card worked to get my pre-rental-return fillup. Add in a couple of debit cards and my wallet is a bit thick.