Poll: How Many Credit/Debit Cards in the Wallet/Purse?

How many total credit cards/debit cards to keep in wallet/purse?

• 0 - what's a credit or debit card?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - simple enough

Votes: 21 14.8%
  • 2 - a primary and a backup

Votes: 43 30.3%
  • 3 - a primary, and two backups

Votes: 50 35.2%
  • 4 - four or more, the more the merrier

Votes: 24 16.9%
  • 5 - other, there's always an other option

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm going soon on a trip for a niece's graduation. Traveling almost 1000 miles. Today I was lightening my wallet (putting away all those rewards cards).

Then I asked myself "How many total credit/debit cards should I bring along?"

Like most things, I'm sure there probably isn't a totally correct answer. But would like to read your opinions and of course, a poll :rolleyes:.

Note: for Debit card, I'm talking about a debit card of a checking account, not a giftcard.

Last edited:
I usually carry two credit cards (visa, AmEx) and one ATM card, and some cash. When on the road I usually carry more cash and keep some in the briefcase.

As of this morning, I had 5 in my wallet. A Discover, a Mastercard bank debit card, and and three other Visa cards. But now I'm thinking, three total would be more than enough.

Though one time, in a few days timeframe, I had two rejected as the cc companies thought there was a security reason to reject them.

Last edited:
I said two, though it's really one credit card and one ATM /debit card. I have a $100 tucked away in my wallet, but I've had to break it it out less than once a year. Like MichaelB, when I travel I carry another $300-500 in cash just in case, I can't remember ever having to use that.

I use PayPal online whenever it's an option, does that count as another? And I'm looking forward to the day when smartphone payment apps are ubiquitous and I don't need any "cards" - then I can vote ZERO.

Last edited:
Carry at least 2 credit cards, each from a different bank. Years, ago, my bank placed my payment for both cards on one of the two accounts. As a result, one had a credit, the other was deliquent. So, they cut off BOTH cards just when I had taken 10 guests out to a business dinner. I learned.......two banks, so I carry a Visa card and a AMEX card........never had a problem since.

And, I always have cash as well. lots of singles, fives and tens. If you run into a problem, "tip" money fixes a lot of problems. I'm amazed at people that have to use a credit card for a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

One credit card and one debit/ATM card. I use cash for most of what I buy so neither gets used very much, especially the debit card for purchases (last time was back in 2006 or 2008, I forget which).

One card for the past 30+ years and use it primarily for gas and on line purchases and pay the balance monthly and can honestly say I have never paid a penny in credit card interest.

3 Cdn credit cards (2 Amex, 1 Visa) :1 USD Credit card (Amex), 2 Debit cards one CDN one US. This whole cross border thing complicates it a lot. You have no idea how hard it is to get a US credit card without a SS number.

I usually carry two credit cards (visa, AmEx) and one ATM card, and some cash. When on the road I usually carry more cash and keep some in the briefcase.

Same here, except for the briefcase.

Like others, I carry 2 ccs (DC and MC) and a debit/ATM card that I use mostly for occasional cash hits.

Back in the 70's I must have carried a dozen or more ccs (big fat wallet) but when most gas stations/stores began taking MC/Visa/DC, I cut up the gas cards and store cards. Less is more.

Just one, a debit Mastercard, which I use for getting gas or groceries and so on. When I travel I do take more cash with me, out of habit.

Two credit cards and one ATM card -- the second credit card is a backup in case the Penfed Visa is compromised (again).

I take 2 CCs and leave my debit card at home when on the road. I also take plenty of cash. I notify the CC company ahead of time to let them know where I will be using the CC so there are no denial issues.

I carry two in my wallet and another in my computer bag. Also I carry an emergency $100 - not a hundred dollar bill.

2 debit cards from accounts with my credit union
2 VISA cashback cards, same bank, different accounts.
Approx $100 cash when close to home, up to $400 when away

I only carry things in my wallet that I'm happy to lose or surrender.

Two credit cards (two different issuers), an ATM card, up to $100 cash. I carry a blank check, too, although that's a 1970s habit that probably needs to stop.

1 credit card for online and store purchases since it is easier to return items.
If I frequently traveled long distances and out of state more I would have to get a debit card. I carry cash and a checkbook plus the one credit card.

One credit union debit card (VISA logo) that's tied to my checking/savings accounts at that institution, and one AAFES credit card (Nords and other military types will know what that is about). No other credit cards. Shredded them all a few yrs ago.

I was down to my third credit card on one trip after buying rental car gas at two stations in one day. The card company that issued my first two had a fast fraud trigger finger. The third card worked to get my pre-rental-return fillup. Add in a couple of debit cards and my wallet is a bit thick.

No room in my wallet for all of my credit cards. Keep them in a brick held together by an Andy Boy broccoli rubber band.
We have a couple of debit cards but neither carry nor use them.

Last edited:
We use one credit card for gas (Penfed) and another for all other purchases. Both give cash-back points, and neither one has a fee. I never use cash except for office donations. Have never owned a debit card. Only use checks when necessary, as for estimated tax payments.

However, we have quite a few open credit card accounts - some were opened just to get the incentive bennies ($$). If we close the newer ones once the bennies have been gained, will that affect our credit rating up or down?

Amethyst

Years back I had a store credit card with Wallachs. I ordered 3 Silver Trumpeter suits for about $1,400. When I came in to pick up the altered suits, they had the suits ready but told me my credit card was no good. I told them they could keep the suits. Five or six years later Wallachs got what they deserved; they went bankrupt :D.

I carry a blank check, too, although that's a 1970s habit that probably needs to stop.

Back in the early 1980s I carried a blank check with me. At some point, probably after I got my first credit card in late 1985, I stopped carrying the blank check.

Penfed Visa, Costco Amex, credit union debit Mastercard, HSA debit Visa.

Back
Top Bottom