Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Were You Primarily Self-Employed or Not Self-Employed In Becoming FIRE'd?
I was primarily self-employed; I owned the business that allowed me to retire early. 15 13.64%
I was primarily an employee; I did not own the business(es) that I worked at while saving for retirement. 82 74.55%
A mixture of the two; I worked for someone else but also owned a side business that provided income. 10 9.09%
Impossible to answer because my situation was just too complex. 3 2.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: How Many On Here Were Self-Employed?
Old 02-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

POLL: How Many On Here Were Self-Employed?

I'm trying to figure out how many of us were the owners of the business and how many of us managed to save and FIRE through employment. I'm one of the ones who owned his own business (5 of them, although it was one in particular that lead to FIRE).

Honestly, I'd be somewhat interested in talking to some of the other former business owners who FIRE'd about their lives after retiring.
z-d-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting. My first response was Nope. W*rked for the accounting / treasury department of the local Electrical Utility for the last couple of decades. But wait - I also keps a modestly small tax practice on the side. In terms of value added it was pretty small. But still, I **was** also self employed. Hmmmmmmmmm......
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a self employed dentist who owns my own practice. I've been in practice 24 years. While I continue to work, I've been FI for several years now.
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
Interesting. My first response was Nope. W*rked for the accounting / treasury department of the local Electrical Utility for the last couple of decades. But wait - I also keps a modestly small tax practice on the side. In terms of value added it was pretty small. But still, I **was** also self employed. Hmmmmmmmmm......
Well, that's why I left the third option in there. For people that have a mixture of the two.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by z-d-g View Post
Well, that's why I left the third option in there. For people that have a mixture of the two.
Presume third option includes those who supplement their employment income with investment income such as share trading, dividends and rental income?
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
Presume third option includes those who supplement their employment income with investment income such as share trading, dividends and rental income?
If we're talking about investments that aren't changing your job status (for example, inherited money that means you no longer HAVE to work) then I don't think the investments should change your status for the purpose of this question.

For example, if you're an employed engineer who owns a rental property and some mutual funds, even though you're getting income off those things you are primarily "employed" for the purpose of this question. It's more about...were you primarily self-employed or not and not "what is the source of your retirement funds in general?"
Old 02-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was employed, but since I started when the company was very small, I owned stock options in the company that I worked for, and these stock options became valuable after the company had grown considerably and allowed me to retire early. So in that sense I owned a part of the business even though I was an employee and not one of the founders.

I don't see how my case fits in your poll.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Self employed in sales as an independent rep since 1989 and will ER this summer.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I was employed, but since I started when the company was very small, I owned stock options in the company
You should select option 2. You're missing the word in front of Stock Options - Employee. If still in doubt, did you get a W-2? Who signed your paychecks? In my experience, Self Employed people get a 1099 statement.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I can see I made this a lot more difficult than I meant to.

Here's what I was getting at: were you the decision-making creator of the job you had or did you work for someone else?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #11

Primarily an employee in my case.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #12

Was an independent consultant for a few years, but primarily an employee over my career.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Employee for 28 years, Self employed for next 3.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
You should select option 2. You're missing the word in front of Stock Options - Employee. If still in doubt, did you get a W-2? Who signed your paychecks? In my experience, Self Employed people get a 1099 statement.
Interesting - the president who was founder and major shareholder in the company also got a W2, and I would certainly consider him an owner, along with his main cofounders. So I don't think your qualifier applies. And I had also purchased some initial shares that weren't "employee stock options".
Old 02-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

4 in the Navy + employee for several years + partner in a two man VW shop for a few means I accidentally qualify for social security. Thirty-five years or so of increasing rental real estate holdings means financial independence. Of course the government says that rental income is all unearned income - but I'm claiming self employed, 'cause sometimes it sorta felt like work... and I feel fairly independent.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Interesting - the president who was founder and major shareholder in the company also got a W2, and I would certainly consider him an owner, along with his main cofounders. So I don't think your qualifier applies. And I had also purchased some initial shares that weren't "employee stock options".
I'm not sure why you said the choices didn't really fit your situation. You could've just picked option 4.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #17

Primarily an employee, though exercised stock options meant I was technically a very minority owner. And that did help with ER.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Primarily an employee, though exercised stock options meant I was technically a very minority owner. And that did help with ER.
+1
Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #19

As a partner in a law firm, I am technically a business owner but the reality is that in large firms you do not really feel all that different from an employee.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
I'm not sure why you said the choices didn't really fit your situation. You could've just picked option 4.
I didn't consider my situation complex at all.