Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Cash on hand at beginning of ER?
Less than 6 months of living expenses (LE) 12 11.11%
Between 6 mos up to 1 year of LE 10 9.26%
Over 1 and up to 2 years of LE 23 21.30%
Over 2 and up to 3 years of LE 11 10.19%
Over 3 and up to 4 years of LE 16 14.81%
Over 4 and up to 5 years of LE 5 4.63%
Over 5 years of LE 31 28.70%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

2 years expenses, which I replenish with 1 years expenses annually with dividends and gains.

I also have several years expenses worth of iBonds which serves as an additional emergency cash cushion.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2012, 04:39 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

with 1 year 9 months to go before i pull the plug at 62 i just finished restructuring our plan.

as it stands right now we have about 3-4 years withdrawals in cash.

thats not total living expenses since we have a small pension ,real estate income , and my wifes ss check but not mine coming in as i may hold off..

our allocations are 100% various bond funds right now with some bond funds actually acting as slightly less aggressive equity funds. up 10% this year and generating about 3- 3-1/2% income.

that will stay as our model until rates p/u at which time different allocations will be made with more going back to equities.

since projections say we only need about 2%-2-1/2% or so from our nest egg we have the luxury of being a little less aggressive in our model
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #23
Administrator

We currently keep in cash & short term fixed income our current year budget, one additional year budget and enough additional cash to fund all commitments we have made (weddings, etc) and significant home repair.

When I retired our portfolio was >50% cash. Some was invested during '00, and the result was so encouraging I plowed the rest in '01, just in time to catch the very top and watch it lose 1/4 in no time flat. The good old days...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

you sound like as good a market timer as me.

i closed on my first rental property 10 days before the 1987 stock market crash . of course the co-op was in nyc . when the smoke cleared i was down 30% right out of the box as real estate plunged here for years to come.

of course today things bounced back beyond our wildest expectations and if i wasnt telling this story from time to time i wouldnt even have rembered it happened.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I had less than 2 years in living expenses, but I had private pensions that covered 70% of living expenses so the chances of needing that cash was, I hoped, quite small.
This is my case, too. "Living expenses" is one thing, and "cash needed for living expenses" is another.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I haven't retired yet but don't see needing a lot of money sitting in cash. My SS and rental income should be fine month to month so I only need for car insurance, property taxes and wants from savings. I might keep a year or worth of taxes and insurance say 10K total or about 1/3 year LE plus maybe some money to fix up my house to sell. I will move someplace cheaper probably so cost might go down.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I include a CD ladder as cash.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Keep no cash. Sell (usually bonds these days) to eat.
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I do not recall the amount, so I guessed between 6-12 months. It's about 2 years worth of expenses now.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote