Poll: How much currently in equities?

How much (%) of your portfolio is in equities?

• 75% or more

Votes: 56 20.0%
  • Between 65% - 74%

Votes: 37 13.2%
  • Between 55% - 64%

Votes: 64 22.9%
  • Between 45% - 54%

Votes: 55 19.6%
  • Between 35% - 44%

Votes: 33 11.8%
  • Between 25% - 34%

Votes: 13 4.6%
  • Less than 25%

Votes: 22 7.9%

• Total voters
we are at about 38%, but do not have courage to test the water or buy the dip.

61% equities (just counting the liquid assets). I was a bit higher than my standard 60/40 recently, so this correction is bringing things back down where they ought to be. With any kind of luck, we'll have the closing to sell our old house before the end of this month, and I'll have the enjoyable chore of deciding what to do with it.

95% stocks, 5% bonds.
I am currently 38 years old and am in accumulation mode. I have a state pension waiting for me at age 50. While I have everyone here, do you consider a pension as bonds in these calculations? It's a fixed income source. Just a thought.

I better not die right after retiring! I've saved for years to be able to enjoy the money and time. (This is one of my fears)

Last edited:
100%

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Today 38% equity. I'm glad that over the last 12 months I pulled out enough to construct an 8 year CD ladder for essential expenses at ER in early '16. I plan to leave equities untouched except for possible dividend payments. This should lead to a slightly rising equity stake. But who knows.

85% in equity. Bought a very large chunk at the recent dip with most targeting funds / stocks that had taken a large price drop and had long history of paying good dividends. Since I don't need to cash out soon, I see these as replacement for bond income in the near future and hopefully decent capital gains in the further timeline.

We are closing in on retirement and needing to withdraw from our assets starting in December/January. As of June, we have only 20% in equities in order to prepare for this transition. Kinda glad about it right now. Before June, 80% in equities.

50% retired 14 months ago with 4 years of expenses in cash. Will rebalance if equities drops to 45%.

I wonder how many retired folks with no pension have over 75% in equities?

Last edited:
I'm in a target fund, L2020. So 48% equities now. Age 53. Still working for a few more years.

We are around 75% in equities.
I am 53 and my husband is 62.

Once my husband files for SS at FRA, I'll rest a little better at night.

I end up rebalancing every January as it works well with the annual withdrawal - taking from assets that have increased the most, etc.

Because of this it takes a huge drop or gain during the year to trigger a rebalance - 5% rise or fall in my equity allocation. These are wide bands (about 10%). I set them wide after I ended up rebalancing several times during 2008 - otherwise known as "catching a falling knife".

So far I'm only off about 1% from target allocation in each asset class. It would take a sudden bear market (20% drop) to cause me to rebalance during the year.

Around 70% but it's changing all the time :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

82% and buying more on dips. If this keeps up, I'll be at 85% soon.

Between 25% - 34%

That number works for us. Sold a lot the last few years and now I'm buying. All mutual funds all Vanguard.

62% or so. Target is about 64%. More than half of that is not US, but all the graphs for the month take on more or less the same shape.

I don't have any, but if I did, I wouldn't call real estate "equities". I'd call those hard assets.

I am at about 41% overall, all in stock mutual funds. That reflects 36% stocks in my taxable accounts and 50% in my IRA. Last week, I made a small rebalancing move in the IRA (only) to get back to the 50% range, and despite all the big movements in the stock market since that time, I am right back at my desired 50%!

In my taxable account, I have different goals because I use the income from mainly the bond funds to cover my expenses. The stock fund provides some income.

Far less than 5% as of August 31. But the way things are going now (today), run another poll in a few days and I maybe 10 to 15%. A few more weeks like the past 2 weeks and I may be closer to 20%:cool:

Last edited:
I downshifted from 70% to 60% a month ago, and was just thinking of going further to 50% last week if the dead cat bounced. Nope, the dead cat went "splat". The market is doing it for me, driving it down to 58% now.

Not buying yet, still waiting for posters to cry "Uncle".

120% Leverage baby! Eh, no, actually about 60%. I bet the 120%'ers make a lot o money though on this dip.

Very surprised at the fairly low equity allocations. It just dawned on me that I have extremely limited means to rebalance since I only have CDs outside of stocks. I guess I would just let my allocation float down until Cds mature.

Interesting thread. Not long ago varying one's equity exposure was not popular here. Now it seems to be. I think I have about 55% equities now. I have always taken this figure up or down, depending on valuations.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom