Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much do you spend each year?
Less than $25k 15 5.47%
Between $25k and $50k 87 31.75%
Between $50k and $75k 64 23.36%
Between $75k and $100k 47 17.15%
More than $100k 61 22.26%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Being single and living in a low cost part of the country, I'm typically in the under $50k group but did go over $100k for 2012 (bought an RV).
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #62
gone traveling

All of our expenses go thru the checking account (except stock gifts) since retiring as there are no payroll tax deductions, so I just added up the checking account monthly statements.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
All of our expenses go thru the checking account (except stock gifts) since retiring as there are no payroll tax deductions, so I just added up the checking account monthly statements.
That should work fine, but if you use credit cards, remember that the January payments to your credit card probably includes spending that was done in December of the previous year.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #64
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
That should work fine, but if you use credit cards, remember that the January payments to your credit card probably includes spending that was done in December of the previous year.
True. So my year is Dec-Nov. Or I add up the Feb-Jan checking account payouts.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
True. So my year is Dec-Nov. Or I add up the Feb-Jan checking account payouts.
No, that won't work either. No matter what 12 months you use, your checking account total debits will not equal your total spending if you use credit cards because the credit card payments in the first month will include spending from previous months, and some of the credit card spending in the last month will not be accounted for.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
No, that won't work either. No matter what 12 months you use, your checking account total debits will not equal your total spending if you use credit cards because the credit card payments in the first month will include spending from previous months, and some of the credit card spending in the last month will not be accounted for.
But it averages out if you use a consistent 12 months.

Download your cc statements and use the transactions dates if it is important to you, but I can't imagine why it would be.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #67

Seems like too many variables to obtain any useful data. Single vs married, old vs young, living in Keokuk, IA vs NYC, living in a Sear's cardboard box vs a 6 bedroom home.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

More than I want to, less than what I can afford. Life is good.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
We spend as much as we need to spend. Income streams from SS and DB plans more than cover our expenses so we actually save a bunch of cash each month.

Still don't know how we will spend our IRA/Roth stash in the future.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
More than I want to, less than what I can afford. Life is good.
I spend less than I want to, only as much as I dare, and hopefully not more than I can afford. Life is also good here.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But it averages out if you use a consistent 12 months.

Download your cc statements and use the transactions dates if it is important to you, but I can't imagine why it would be.

-ERD50
Yes, there comes a point where the extra work and stress required to get it exactly right outweigh the benefits of actually doing so.

I can see making adjustments for large purchases that occasionally occur at year end but otherwise, like you, I believe it will all average out over time.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I spend enough but not too much, so I have some left over for a big ticket item without touching my long term retirement portfolio.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #73

I will spend $36k this year, my first full year of retirement. I wanted to see how little I could spend while still having some extra fun and traveling. Next year I will increase to about $50k, which is closer to 2.5% of my portfolio. I am 48 years old so this feels right for now.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #74

about $40K less than I could.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Do you want a simple answer? Over the last decade, most of the responses have been in a narrow range around $25K/year and $50K/year. But it's a double-humped bell curve with fat tails.[/url]
So, what sound does such a bell make??

Something like...

"Bweeeng-de-Booong-and-let's-skew".
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

If there is any surprise to me from the poll, it is that the percentage of big spenders over $100K/yr is high, at 18.44% as I type this.

Nothing wrong with that of course. One has more, so he spends more. Spending down one's wealth is the best and voluntary way to distribute wealth. I hope to be invested in the right businesses that will receive this wealth redistribution.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #77
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
One has more, so he spends more.
They have more, so they spend more.

The problem with the survey is that it is showing both single and married/committed folks together.

Like it or not, the old saying that "two can live as cheaply as one" is a lie, especially if each have their own "passions" in life ...

For instance, we've spent $30k on travel in the last 12 months. That does not include the taxes paid for TIRA withdrawls to fund my DW's passion.

If if was just me? My travel expenses would be $0, and I could probably get by on what we spend on our biggest expense item (and it has been, for a couple of decades). It's not the cost of living, but the cost of loving that can drive up expenses in a most unusual fashion.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Well, I do not care how people spend so much, whether they are single or married.

The more important thing is that these rich retirees do spend and redistribute their wealth.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #79
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The more important thing is that these rich retirees do spend and redistribute their wealth.
Well, since we're not rich, I would like to hear some of those stories from the board, if anybody's willing to share...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Eh, rich or poor is always a relative term. From your past posts, I'd say that you are pretty rich to me. You definitely spend more...