Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your monthly average Wine, Beer & Liquor Budget?
$0 - We do not drink & we do not offer alcohol to friends. 45 15.96%
Less than $50 61 21.63%
$50 - $100 70 24.82%
$100 - 200 51 18.09%
$200 - $300 25 8.87%
Over $300 30 10.64%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2019, 06:43 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After revisiting this, I realized this is a worthless poll. It doesn't take into consideration of the difference, for instance, between "Thunderbird" and "Dom Perignon." Well, maybe I am simply missing the purpose in asking.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 07:01 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
After revisiting this, I realized this is a worthless poll. It doesn't take into consideration of the difference, for instance, between "Thunderbird" and "Dom Perignon." Well, maybe I am simply missing the purpose in asking.
I get your point- that spending a lot doesn't equate to drinking a lot- but the totals are still interesting. In my case, most of my spending is Costco scotch, with the occasional expensive trip to a winery or a distillery. I spent $250 on 3 bottles of whisky in Edinburgh last year.

I've cut back because of the health risks. I like my nightcap of scotch every evening but finally decided that 4 oz. is really two drinks, which is more than what's recommended for a 123-lb. woman. So now I stick with 2 oz. and I measure it. Bonus: I'm sleeping better. I'm more relaxed about it with family and on vacations, but those occasions don't happen that often.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:05 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
If you drink Dom Perignon on a daily or regular basis, you are right, this poll is not aimed at you.

I was looking at my "bar" bill and we do not drink outside the home as we are dead set against drinking and driving. Yesterday we stocked up with some spirits Vodka, Gin, Irish Whiskey and Bourbon. We like a cocktail at "Beer O'clock" but rarely buy anything too expensive. We also have a wine cooler full of wine and like a bottle with our evening meal now and then. Those who drink outside the home will have larger expenditures. Also, no one implied it was a quantity thing, just roughly what one spends.

So the question was just curiosity. I think by the responses, it was a good poll.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #44
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
we do not drink outside the home as we are dead set against drinking and driving
Which is why the gods invented Uber.
Everyone of our neighbors uses it for dining.
The cost is low enough. Also, many households are moving to one car. The savings buy a lot of Uber rides.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
The cost is low enough. Also, many households are moving to one car. The savings buy a lot of Uber rides.
I sometimes have one drink with dinner at a restaurant. Still will be much under the limit and truly feel zero effect.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:04 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Zero here. Never had any interest in drinking anything alcoholic.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I chose 300 because we have guests frequently and go out to eat twice a week and have alcohol with the meal. I hate cheap beer. If my husband has more than 2 drinks we Uber it home or walk depending on the weather.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
So the question was just curiosity. I think by the responses, it was a good poll.
You are absolutely correct. "Worthless" was a extremely poor choice of words. Sometimes (most, actually) there is a disconnect between my mind and that filter that is supposed to control my fingers.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Most of the alcohol that I purchase is consumed when I have guests. With company, aperitif is nearly compulsory before a meal in France, and a meal is almost always served with wine. I do enjoy a glass of Scotch whisky every once in a while as well. So I do keep a well stocked bar and cellar. That being said, a lot of the wine I drink comes from my father's extensive cellar (he likes to gift wine). And people will often bring a bottle of liquor as a gift when they come to dinner. So I end up not spending much money at all (<$50 a month).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #50

I don't drink alcohol at all.

DH's limit is one beer at a party on a holiday.

In the event of guests (which is very rare, due to working all most all the time) we would pick something up for them.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:48 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poll:How much do you spend on Wine, Beer &amp; Liquor on Average?

We don’t usually drink when we are away from home and buy most alcohol from Costco. I don’t track it but my guess is maybe $50/mo.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:56 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

We averaged $85/mo in 2018, and we buy higher quality stuff, we just don't overdo "usage."

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:32 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Wine? $0 per year

Beer? $10 per year

Diet Coke? A lot.

As a type II diabetic on an insulin pump, I long since avoid any alcohol.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:37 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I used to drink but starting in my early 50s or so, a couple of drinks would give me a headache the next day or even cause a hangover. Then a few years ago, I found that I slept better if I drank nothing at all so now rarely drink. I'll probably have a drink tomorrow as I'm going to my neighbor's house for Easter dinner and they are wine connoisseurs.
This is why I have cut back. I find I can get away with one and only one early glass of wine or beer and that's all. Anything else has adverse consequences and it isn't worth it.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:45 PM   #55

I have Two drinks (red wine) with dinner every night It's a ritual which I believe will keep me alive and heart healthy. So far, so good, I can't estimate how much is spent as I don't keep records, so I'll guess $80/month. DW rarely drinks alcohol.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:05 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I track every penny using Quicken for the last 10 yrs of retirement. We started out "cheap" and then realized life is too short to skimp and get top shelf gin/wine/beer.

I break out alcohol even when dining so I know our real total... $250/mo in the Caribbean and just over $300/mo in the US for the last 3 yrs. Works out to ~$10/day or two drinks a day on average. About right.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:13 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Which is fine for urban areas. The services don't operate around us; neither do taxis except during a few set hours.

Fortunately/unfortunately alcohol keeps me awake at night so I have pretty much cut it out. I volunteer to be the DD if we are going out.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:19 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

One of the interesting things in Korean dramas - apparently the Koreans having a heavy drinking culture, particularly with business associates - is that if you find yourself inebriated, you can call and hire someone to come get you and drive you home in your car.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

We by a lot of wine. But we have an extensive cellar so we’ll go for months buying nothing, and then buy several bottles at once.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:37 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
apparently the Koreans having a heavy drinking culture, particularly with business associates.
I believe the same is true in Japan and Russia.