Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much of an indexer are you?
Heavy indexer: 85% or more in indices 94 49.47%
Primarily indexer: More than 65%, but less than 85% 40 21.05%
Balanced: Between 35-65% indexed 31 16.32%
Primarily managed: Less than 35% indexed, but more than 15% 11 5.79%
Heavy manager: 15% or less indexed 14 7.37%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:How much of an indexer are you?
Old 08-03-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll:How much of an indexer are you?

I don't like rewahoo's poll so I'm making my own. He said it was ok.

I'm not making an option for people who don't want to answer or don't fit a category. Just don't answer the poll if this is the case.

edit: I would say that this is the % of your funds where you would have a choice between index and non-index funds. It's up to you to decide what that is for yourself. For me, I included both stock and bond funds, but did not include CDs or bank accounts.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post

I'm not making an option for people who don't want to answer or don't fit a category. Just don't answer the poll if this is the case.
OK, but I still reserve the right to grouse about it if I don't like your poll options.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
OK, but I still reserve the right to grouse about it if I don't like your poll options.
Of course! It's the e-r way!
Old 08-03-2015, 08:48 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And I'm going to take that opportunity right now: How come you didn't include an option for those who don't index?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And I'm going to take that opportunity right now: How come you didn't include an option for those who don't index?
0 is less than 15%, so that would be the last option, 15% or less.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:59 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't really know the right way to answer, my overall spread is 60/40, 60% being funds and stocks, 40% being fixed income vehicles. Of the 60%, 90% is in Index funds.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #7

I have more than 85% index funds!!!

But I'm learning myself to make gooder at individual pick and hold.
I'm an indexer on the outside, but a picker at heart.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:59 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Don't really know the right way to answer, my overall spread is 60/40, 60% being funds and stocks, 40% being fixed income vehicles. Of the 60%, 90% is in Index funds.
I edited my OP to say that it's up to you, and stated what I used as my own guidelines. Basically, if you feel you were making a choice between indexed and non-indexed funds, include it. If there wasn't really an index choice that you considered (like CDs, in my case), don't include it.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #9
Administrator

Here is what my homemade written financial plan dictates:

(1) My TSP is 100% G Fund, a government bond fund that cannot drop in share price. For me it functions like a second pension, since I take equal monthly withdrawals from the TSP. At the present monthly withdrawal amount it will last until I am in my 90's. I love this setup for covering some of my post-retirement core expenses.

(2) Also, I have 30% Wellesley for more retirement income.

Everything else is in index funds at Vanguard. I ignored the "pension-like" aspect of the G Fund, and voted 35%-65%.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Almost all equity is indexed. All fixed is not. Some individual Tips but bonds are in VG investment grade and tax-exempt funds which are not index funds.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe it's a bit embarrassing, but I've come to my senses and moved 401K/IRA out of managed funds only in the last few years. Average expense ratio has dropped from almost 1% to perhaps less than 0.3%. I'm still in a few managed funds in my taxable account due to the tax consequences of wholesale liquidation. We're gradually burning through the worst of these to fund the front end of ER before direct access to 401K/IRA.
Still, I never used (was used by?) a FA, especially one of those "assets under management" guys. Staying away from these guys saved our bacon...

Despite the drag of managed fund expenses and the so-called lost decade of 2000-2010 in the market, we still managed to ER. Not ideal, but good ENOUGH!
Old 08-03-2015, 03:00 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Would be in the "Heavy" category but for a substantial chunk in the Stable Value fund in my 401K. This fund is a pretty good deal compared to Short/Intermediate term bond index funds, but it is managed so down I go into "Primarily".
Old 08-03-2015, 03:05 PM   #13

No accurate answer possible with the choices. Most is in DFA (all non-index) & most of rest is in bond funds, some ETF's, but very few indexes. But rebalanced only occasionally, so not much managed. So need a "not indexed, not much managed" choice.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #14

My tIRA and ROTH are both Wellesley (managed).

DW's tIRA and ROTH at Fidelity are index bond funds.

Overall, 55% of our equity and bond funds are indexed.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:19 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
No accurate answer possible with the choices. Most is in DFA (all non-index) & most of rest is in bond funds, some ETF's, but very few indexes. But rebalanced only occasionally, so not much managed. So need a "not indexed, not much managed" choice.

Quote:
:-)

Hmm, smileys aren't working for me on Firefox. Oh well.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:22 PM   #16

Although I have a significant chunk of money in index funds, it's really just a means for me to get passive funds (i.e. fund manager does not believe in trading to select winners) that keep costs low and attempt only to get the aggregate return of whatever slice they claim to capture.

Index funds usually meets these criteria but there are other funds which are not indexes that do so as well. I actually think strict adherence to an index can be sub-optimal.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I differ than most on this board in that I don't see managed funds as an evil that must be destroyed and only index funds are worth owning. I own a fair number of individual stocks for a variety of reasons that index funds cannot provide. They actually have lower cost than the index funds generally though.

It isn't the fact that index funds are low cost that matters, it is that they outperform a given managed fund. If the managed fund outperforms the index it is a better investment. I don't wear blinders and it's worked out pretty well for me. I do watch the expense ratio/performance pretty carefully for the managed funds generally.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Even if you hold an active fund, there is no guarantee that its manager is not a closet indexer. I read about this some years ago. Many large fund managers know that they are measured against the S&P every quarter if not monthly, so they do not dare deviate from it that much.

Besides, large MFs can only invest in large cap stocks. Owning a bit of a small cap would not make a dent in their performance, even if that small company grows 2x or 3x. So, they hold mostly the S&P which is all large cap stocks, and only deviate from it just a bit.

And come to think of it, most of my individual stocks are large cap and in the S&P too. So, it will takes a hell lot of work to compute the exact difference of my portfolio from the S&P. The same goes for my foreign ADR holdings and foreign indices.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post
I differ than most on this board in that I don't see managed funds as an evil that must be destroyed and only index funds are worth owning.....
I think many of us don't necessarily look at active funds as evil... it is just that so few active funds outperform index funds over long periods of time that managed funds are simply suboptimal, not evil, although some evil creeps in as the expense ratio goes higher and higher.

I think it is hard to pick an active fund and have confidence that it will outperform an index fund in the long run given that some stellar active funds have faltered (Magellan and Legg Mason Capital Management come to mind).

I'd rather accept the market return less a slight ER than take the risk of making a bad call on a good fund that falls on hard times.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I have an active strategy overlaid on index funds.