Poll:How often do you check your financial holdings?

How often do you actively check holdings?

• At least Daily

Votes: 94 34.3%
  • At least Weekly

Votes: 91 33.2%
  • At least Monthly

Votes: 55 20.1%
  • Occasionally (less often than monthly)

Votes: 26 9.5%
  • Other (explain in comments)

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

Tekward

Recycles dryer sheets
One of the indicators for me that I am "Comfortable" is that I only check my holdings occasionally. What about the rest of you?

I don’t worry about my investments levels so much, but I tend to keep a careful eye on credit cards, checking and savings accounts, and any transfers and other transactions in my investment accounts, etc. This is keeping an eye out for fraud or errors. Statements are reconciled monthly and I have email alerts set up to notify me of any transaction, etc.

I look at it almost hourly when markets are open. It is addictive.

At least weekly. Because I'm still w*rking, I also check in more detail monthly because I make monthly deposits into a taxable account - I direct it towards whatever investments are the most below the target..

Every day.

But not because I'm worried but I'm sort of a weirdo on tracking things.

I measure and record the rainfall, the number of times my furnace comes on, our electrical/water/gas usage (dollars and KWh/CF) etc etc. In my work days I'd record how long my commute was each day. Maybe from my days as a test technician where we took 'points' every hour (?)

I've created quite a few rat-holes for myself as I now have 15+ years of data and feel it would be a shame to not continue the drill. Mint, M* and Excel are my best friends! Charts! Graphs!

(as I write this I realize what a strange man I am)

It depends on the ease of access by hucksters and type of account

We receive a daily statement from Chase Bank so those accounts and debit card are checked daily when we open the Chase email.

Other credit cards are checked once per month when the statements arrive.

Schwab account is checked monthly or less frequently as I am a medium term holder of the investments held there, and move investments based on changes reported in the twice monthly Fund-X mutual fund newsletter.

Other long-term investments are checked every four months when reviewing them with our Financial Planner

I tend to check our investment balances frequently when the bull is surging and infrequently when the bear rears its ugly head. Like Audrey I check our checking and credit card transactions frequently, usually daily.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Check my investments weekly. Only 5-10 minutes of work.
Check credit cards/checking accounts daily. Too much fraud over the years.

Back when I held company stock options and individual stocks, I'd check throughout the day, and at least daily. Now, with index funds, I'll usually hear something on the market thru the news or NPR Marketplace, but might actually check my holdings weekly or less (so I picked monthly).

We do a total NW calc about once a month via Mint, also to track spending for anomalies. DH runs that and it's pretty much the only time he pays any attention. I've told him to hold off a few more days since he hasn't run October yet.

I track a few smaller more volatile things more often, like some old company stock I'm hoping to sell and take the gains/income this year... it was doing quite well before the correction and I got greedy and waited...

At least monthly, but most of the time about weekly.

Investments and Bank Accounts - weekly
Credit Card Accounts - thorough review monthly, review alerts when received

Most accounts monthly. Brokerage a couple of times a week since I'm often trading.

Once at the end of each month that is documented but may check 2 or 3 times a month but no data kept. If heading south hard I like to look and the same way if going up fast and hard.

One of the indicators for me that I am "Comfortable" is that I only check my holdings occasionally. What about the rest of you?
Checking and credit card transactions are reviewed daily, usually aggregated through Personal Capital.

Investments are quarterly, plus when people are talking about markets hitting an all time high. When the market is going down I prefer not to look too often, so I won't take any rash emotional action.

We do a total NW calc about once a month ...
At least monthly, but most of the time about weekly.
We must do a monthly reconciliation across 4 FIs and arrange CC payments in full. But during these times I have been tracking more frequently to assess the lows. Most recurring payments are automatic so need to cover.

Have to juggle when FI comes due. And exercise convertible debentures at maturity or call. We avoid all the drama of preferreds by having a fund manager (1%) for those.

This is a historical pattern after 30+ years of DIY.

I glance at the quotes a couple of times a day. My “ in house” accountant gives me a monthly report about a week after the month end and I get quarterlies, too. We don’t do anything with the information....

Monthly for “real” because I invest each month and continually nudge back towards AA with new money. Annually I do a deep dive on performance and next year financial plan.

I do peek weekly or so during times of high volatility.

On the ups it makes me smile.

Weirdly, the downs make me smile at the fact that I could lose that much money in one day and not toss myself in front of a train. I never expected to be so fortunate and I use it as a moment of re-commitment to my long term view.

So I guess you could say that money basically makes me smile ��

Individual stocks I do a quick check most days the market is open, though when traveling only occasionally.

Everything else, about once a month.

Checking/credit daily.

Financial assets updated once a week. It's not that I am going to do anything ie make changes; I think I just like doing it. You fall into these habits and then they are hard to give up.

Daily through a variety of sources, including Fidelity's phone app and Personal Capital (for NW).

I track returns on a monthly basis through an Excel-based tool that I've had for some time.

I use the Morningstar free site to look at my investments whenever. At end of month I print out a hard copy from the institutions I have accounts with.

I voted monthly since I enter earnings at the end of each month on investment accounts. More often on checking and credit cards accounts.

The OP said "financial holdings", which I do at least monthly. By reading here, I get a good feel for whats going on in the markets. I have a script that pulls from all the web sites and populates my asset allocation spreadsheet. I can run it 'whenever', and occasionally do on big moves, but usually wait until month end. I also have always reconciled investment statements, which I do a few days after month end, when statements come out. This proves proper continuity, whereas the former is a snapshot.

Other transactional statements that have to do with money, but are not investment related (like bank, CC, etc) but 'require' reconciliation get done when the paper arrives in the mail. But those are not the topic of this poll.

Back
Top Bottom