Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Whatever your target asset allocation, what interval do you use when rebalancing your portfolio?
Fixed interval - more than 12 months 4 7.27%
Fixed interval - 12 months 11 20.00%
Fixed interval - 6 months 3 5.45%
Fixed interval - 3 months 0 0%
Fixed interval - 1 month 0 0%
Fixed interval - less than 1 month 0 0%
No fixed interval - adjust when percentages are out of line greater than X% 19 34.55%
No fixed interval - other strategy 18 32.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: How often do you rebalance your portfolio?
Old 05-05-2006, 09:40 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Poll: How often do you rebalance your portfolio?

(If you don't rebalance on a fixed interval, and instead wait until the allocation percentages reach a certain value beyond your target, I'd be interested to hear what percentage difference you use as your threshold for rebalancing. Or if you've got some other strategy ...)
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Poll: How often do you rebalance your portfolio?
Old 05-05-2006, 10:08 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I rebalanced when the Equity/Fixed ratio went to about 4% off of target.

I'm in the "distribution" phase, and living expenses are coming out of the fixed side.* And with significant growth on the equities side, it's getting up there again.*
So I should be busy buying more bond funds... which I just have not been able to poke myself into doing.* So the off-the-top is now sitting in a qualified money market.* It just doesn't feel right to have $ just sitting in a MM.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

before i knew anything (as if i know anything now) about finance i used to "rebalance" my 401k stuff about every 6 months to a year. having no idea i was rebalancing, i thought i was just tidying things up. turns out i was buying low and selling high. who knew?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

It has occurred to me that it might be important to rebalance not on a percentage deviation basis, but on a "percent off target percentage" basis. I'm sure that's confusing, let me explain:

If I target 60% for stocks, and my portfolio hits 62%, then I could rebalance if my tolerance was +/- 2% off target. I'm selling a bit higher and reallocating to lower-performing investments.

But if my target for REIT mutual funds is 8%, and I wait until it hits 10%, then the REIT fund has gone up over 20%. In the stock case above, I'm only up about 3% overall.

So it might make sense to rebalance not based upon an absolute percent difference (such as 2%), but as a percent off target percentage. For example, If I say that I don't want to be more than 10% off my target percentage, then I could let my stock allocation go to 66% (+10% of target percentage), but my REIT allocation could only go to 8.8% before I would rebalance. In that way, my rebalancing for any asset class occurs when the degree of being overvalued/undervalued is consistent within the class.

I'm still thinking this one through, I haven't seen it mentioned in any books. Anybody else considered this?
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most of my assets are in taxable accounts, so managing taxes has to be part of my rebalancing strategy.

I review my portfolio once a quarter to see if I need to rebalance, but I try to avoid rebalancing more than every 12 months. From what I have read, research shows the optimal frequency for rebalancing in taxable accounts is something like 18 months. I try to avoid doing minor rebalancing because rebalancing is a taxable event.

I rebalance when my allocations get a certain % out of whack. My most generic way to do this is to compare my total equities with my bonds+cash. If they are more than 5% out of whack (say equities crept up over 58%, and bonds+ cash below 42%), then I trim equities to 55% and bonds+cash back up to 45%.

But I have also looked at individual equity asset classes like REITs, and trimmed them when they exceed their allocation by say 20%. So if I hold 5% in REIT funds, and they grow to 6% of the portfolio, they are 20% overvalued, and I trim them back to 5% again - something like that!

I also use the reinvestment of distributions as part of keeping the portfolio balanced. If a fund is over allocation, I don't reinvest the distributions, but let them go to cash to invest in an undervalued asset class (and to pay taxes). If a fund is under allocation, then I make sure to reinvest the distributions in that asset class. So before december of every year I check each fund to decide whether to reinvest the annual distributions or not.

Hope this helps........

Audrey
Old 05-05-2006, 04:37 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

usually trends run at least 2 years so generally ill rebalance every 1-1/2 years if im really really up or down or 2 years normally......i always seemed to cut myself short rebalancing every year
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Annually in May, however it has to show me a movement of at least 5% before I take action. If less that 5%, I review it again in a month or so just to see if it has inched up to 5%. After that, it will have it wait until next May.

My belief is that one can do a lot of long-term damage by rebalancing more often* than annually and responding to changes of less than 5%. Why? Because that's the way it is according to my IPS!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:51 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy
So it might make sense to rebalance not based upon an absolute percent difference (such as 2%), but as a percent off target percentage. For example, If I say that I don't want to be more than 10% off my target percentage, then I could let my stock allocation go to 66% (+10% of target percentage), but my REIT allocation could only go to 8.8% before I would rebalance. In that way, my rebalancing for any asset class occurs when the degree of being overvalued/undervalued is consistent within the class.
Interesting approach, surfdaddy - sounds like you and audrey are both doing that. I have been using a more generic absolute 2% as my threshold, but the "percent of target percent" does seem like it better captures what I'm trying to do. Good food for thought ... thanks.
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote