• 41-50

Votes: 80 15.9%
  • 50-60

Votes: 238 47.2%
  • 60+

Votes: 110 21.8%

• Total voters
Currently age 48.

Just submitted my MegaCorp letter of resignation last Friday after 22 years of service. ER'd for real now.

I was on a leave of absence since Jan 2012, so it was more of a formality at this point.

-gauss
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Lol. Well that's embarrassing. I guess I get a lonely 0 on the binary comprehension scale. It's been so long since I've used it. It should have been 11011. Glad I could provide some humor!

What Spanky said - and thanks for being a good sport!

Last edited:
(in centuries, rounded to the nearest integer)

I remember when it used to be so weird that people had been working at this company for longer than I had been alive.

Then one day it happened. I was one of 'them'.

In fact, I had a discussion with one of the young employees that not only had I been working here when she was born, but I do believe that her father and I had a discussion about her conception before she was born!

(Followed by awkward silence.)

Last edited:
48/52 boglehead asset allocation

Age in bonds

ER Fireball said:
In fact, I had a discussion with one of the young employees that not only had I been working here when she was born, but I do believe that her father and I had a discussion about her conception before she was born!

(Followed by awkward silence.)
Excellent! Being able to say things like this is one of the small paybacks for the discomforts and inconveniences of getting older. I hope you savored the moment!

54 and within 3 years of ER.

Let's see... how old am I?

Take your age,
Add 62
divide by 4
subtract 4
multiple by 2
Subtract half your age
double that result
add two

And that is how hold I am.... 48

I'm 44 and hoping to be retired at 50-51. We're a military family with one income, so ER will come with lots of planning and a bit of luck. I'm the driving force behind this plan. :D

So, 70% of forum users are over 50. I had suspected that, as this community seems not to skew toward EARLY retirement. (I don't know if retirement in one's 50's and 60's can be considered particularly "early".) Seems like the forum has become more of a general retirement forum, which I suppose is fine.

So, 70% of forum users are over 50. I had suspected that, as this community seems not to skew toward EARLY retirement. (I don't know if retirement in one's 50's and 60's can be considered particularly "early".) Seems like the forum has become more of a general retirement forum, which I suppose is fine.

Traditionally, "early retirement" is usually considered to be any age before one qualifies for full SS benefits. Normally it was 65, but the age is older for younger baby boomers.

The SSA considers 62 as the early retirement age.

Given that (at least from polls) many feel they will have to continue to work well into their 60s (and even 70s) before (or if) then can retire, many look at those retiring before then as going into early retirement.

That or 70% of people here believe they are younger than they are. Subconsciously they know their age, but they haven't looked in the mirror for a while. Haha!

Seriously though, it's good to have a mix of people, early or not, they provide a lot of good info and entertainment.

As jollystomper said, the "traditional" retirement age is 65, in many countries. But I do not agree with your conclusion that the present age distribution of forum members who answered the poll suggests that the majority are not early retirees. There are many forum members here who have already retired early and they continue to get older every year while sharing their wisdom with others. Imoldernu and johnnie36 would be examples, both with over 20 years' experience of ER.

Last edited:

But many of us were younger in the earlier days of the forum...

Actually all of us were younger in the earlier days of the forum.

Wow, I disagree that retiring in one's 50s isn't early! I'll be 54ish when we retire and the few people who know about our plans can't believe we're leaving the workforce so young.

But many of us were younger in the earlier days of the forum...
I was so much older then I'm younger than that now...

:dance: Early is all relative - I was able to stop before 65, for instance - which in my case made a huge difference in my life. :dance:

My first retirement was at 49. I took a pension and then dabbled at what I enjoyed. One thing lead to another and I ended up w*rking until 60!

Purron, that is one of my favorite songs from the Byrds. :dance::D

Back
Top Bottom