Votes: 19 10.3%
  • Old fashioned - paper, pencil, calculator

Votes: 14 7.6%
  • I don't need to do my taxes

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • other

Votes: 16 8.7%

• Total voters
The old fashioned way - but with a spreadsheet and not paper/pencil. It's probably still quite old fashioned?

Same here. I use a spreadsheet (linked within my checkbook register/spreadsheet) to figure out the numbers then enter them into the fillable pdf files before printing them out. I have been using the fillable forms for only a few years because getting the paper forms at the local libraries has become more difficult lately.

TurboTax for past five years, primarily as I get a free copy. Before that used HRB TaxCut for many years (and back then preferred tax cut to TT)

I will continue using TurboTax to do my own tax and my kids.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Turbotax, although I am not a fan of the new format, try to jump to direct input

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I do my 9 LLCs and my S-Corp with TurboTax Business edition. I do my personal with the TurboTax home and business.

I save a ton doing it myself. But I physically print them and mail via snail mail. Certified receipt requested.

H&R Block software for the second year in a row. I have not gotten over the sliminess of the Turbo Tax management from last year.

Question if y'all don't mind:
I've used TaxAct for quite a few years, but this will be my first year with Schedule C income thanks to DH's side business (although I don't think he actually made all that much $).

Should I be looking for something else for this year, or pay for the upgrade on TA?

I'm hoping the TaxAct "Start for Free" includes printing it out, then I'll just mail it in.

Turbo tax, and pay full freight just to continue with them. I am not waiting for official mutual fund forms and will send it first day I can. I am not giving the crooks a chance to get my refund.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My late husband's business accountant prepares my taxes every year. I drop off a bag of documents as soon as I think all the revised 1099's are finished coming in and get back neatly prepared returns with addressed envelopes attached and cover sheets telling me where to send returns, what checks to write, arrows indicating where I sign, etc. He charges me $150 for all this and has always made himself available to answer any tax-related questions I might have.

My late husband's business accountant prepares my taxes every year. I drop off a bag of documents as soon as I think all the revised 1099's are finished coming in and get back neatly prepared returns with addressed envelopes attached and cover sheets telling me where to send returns, what checks to write, arrows indicating where I sign, etc. He charges me $150 for all this and has always made himself available to answer any tax-related questions I might have.

You are truly fortunate to have this accountant! I hope he receives a nice Christmas present from you each year.

Not thrilled with TurboTax after the stunt they pulled last year, but after a $15 discount from Costco I got the premier plus one state for $57 including tax and free shipping. Sure beats the $75 offer from Fidelity.

I still need to download a second state since we moved to another state mid-year.

This is the last year that we'll have our taxes done by a pro. We've sold out last rental and our private partnership is closing as well.

With all that gone our taxes will be simple.

I have used OLT.com for several years. Found their link on the IRS site. Less than $10 and state filing is free.

We use both turbotax premier and turbotax business. I think I'm probably a lifer for turbotax as I can pretty much do taxes in my sleep using this software. I also find it incredibly convenient to automatically download all the investment junk right into the tax forms from fidelity.

Once, my wife didn't trust my taxes, I suggested we have them checked by a professional. The professional said that the only way they could check the taxes was to do them. $685 later they calculated a result that was within $20 of my calculation. I've been allowed to do our taxes ever since.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I have used Turbotax for years, and last year's was a real challenge. I sold a rental at a loss, had depreciation recapture, etc. It worked great for me

Once, my wife didn't trust my taxes, I suggested we have them checked by a professional. The professional said that the only way they could check the taxes was to do them. $685 later they calculated a result that was within $20 of my calculation. I've been allowed to do our taxes ever since.

Yeah, I asked a CPA about reviewing our taxes and he said the same thing. I can do data entry as well as he can. I royally messed up only twice in my life. Once I didn't get all the brokerage downloads in (there had been a merger and I missed pre-merger transactions). The next year I tried to save $$ on a second state return by doing our residence state calls in Excel. Way too many mini-worksheets and "gotchas". Fortunately, this is our last year for filing in 2 states.

H&R TaxCut since 98. With the exception of 05 when there was no mac version for some reason. Guess I'll stick with them.

This poll shows why you don't need a huge sample size to get a good handle on where things stand: The percentages now are within 1-2% of where the were after 30-40 posts - at least as well as my memory allows.

Using Turbotax as usual, but this year for free from Fidelity, which I found from a post here.

Back
Top Bottom