Poll: I'd rather be 30 years younger ± ...

Financially I’d Rather Be?

• My current age with the assets and financial knowledge I have (thank you very much).

Votes: 56 70.9%
  • 30 years old or 30 years younger with the assets (inflation adjusted) and financial knowledge I had

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other...

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
Thanks, you're kind. But based on some of the posts, some folks seemed to respond as if the question was would you like to be younger. That wasn't the point, but my own fault...:facepalm:

I think your line#1 was perfectly clear. Some people just have reading comprehension issues, or vote first, think second ;)

-ERD50

Thanks, you're kind. But based on some of the posts, some folks seemed to respond as if the question was would you like to be younger. That wasn't the point, but my own fault...:facepalm:
Midpack, we are all free-minded here and many (including you and me) at times post what they want to say regardless of what the question is. Part of forum life, I guess.

Thanks. I'm happy with most polls & posts I've contributed, but I've had several polls go sideways on me despite trying to think them through beforehand. You'd think I'd learn by now...:crazy:

The job market is much tighter now than it was when I was 30. At age 30 I was making big career moves/job changes to drive up my salary. Now people are clinging to their jobs - and if they lose a job, they end up taking one that pays less.

At least in my market and field.

Exactly! You and I must have been in the same field.

There is a lot of job uncertainty today, something I never faced. I could change companies when I wanted to and did so, today being 30 would scare me. I'm quite content and would not want to be 30 today.

+1. I guess most of us (including me) have been guilty of doing the same...
MichaelB said:
Midpack, we are all free-minded here and many (including you and me) at times post what they want to say regardless of what the question is. Part of forum life, I guess.

Okay, I think the poll question could be "Which age group is most negatively impacted by the current Great Recession (or political decisions related to it)".
That's only one part of the equation. I suspect a large number of the posters on this board rode the market rocketship in the '90s. I made a [-]buttload[/-] lot of money that decade. Which means I had a lot of money going into this recession.

It just comes down to... or seems to come down to.... what kind of decisions you made in the years between huge growth and recession. If I rebaselined my money back to 1990 and calculated a modest 6% compounded annual interest (pulling a number out of the air), that number would be signficantly lower than the money I made in the market that decade.

While I may moan and whine that the Fed is keeping interest rates artificially low, I'm still ahead financially. We can pay our bills. We have no debt. We can travel a bit. We live where we want to live and do what we want to do. BUT, the difference is we had a reasonable plan with built-in contingencies.

Maybe the question just might be (if you depend on interest earnings for your basic living expenses) what kind of changes are you having to make due to the impact of low interest rates that are expected to remain in place for at least the next 18 months?

Just a thought.....

Back
Top Bottom