I am an immigrant to the US 33 21.02%
Both my parents were immigrants to the US 13 8.28%
All 4 of my grandparents were immigrants to the US 22 14.01%
I am 100% Native American (Get off my lawn!) 11 7.01%
Some other combination , feel free to explain 78 49.68%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Paternal grandmother immigrated from Italy. Other grandparents and parents were born in US

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2018, 06:17 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What I heard the most about when growing up was about the German side of my maternal grandmother. My grandfather’s father flew the coop when he was young boy so I had no idea where he originated. I did a 23&Me test and found that I have German and English/Irish in me. My missing great grandfather must have been the English/Irish part.

happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:45 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
So, are you an immigrant to the U.S?
Were your parents immigrants? (which makes you first generation )
Were your grandparents immigrants? (which makes you second generation)
etc.

omni
If a person is an immigrant (not American born), he is first-generation American if he is a naturalized citizen. That's me. I was already a college student when I came.

My children are American-born. They are second-generation.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #24

Both parents and several siblings were immigrants . I was the first child in the family born in the U.S.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #25

First generation.

Not American though. My parents both came over on a boat. Slight difference thought because they came from one of the two 'mother countries' so the culture, language, etc. was familiar to them.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:14 PM   #26

Both my parents were immigrates to Texas from a foreign, but neighboring state. My family tree on my mothers side goes back to the early 1800's and all were born here in the US. Not as clear on my dads side since I've only been able to trace his back to the 1870's.
Car-Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
My ancestors got off the boat from England in 1752.
Surprisingly, they had no trouble being "without papers".
As an Open Borders advocate, I would like to see new immigrants be welcomed under the same rules as my ancestors.
Didn't really work out well for those already here.

All 4 Maternal great grandparents came from Poland.
Father's side never wanted to talk about it and he died last month. The story was German / French via Quebec. I know his grandfather was a pig farmer about 10 miles from my home. DS had DNA test done and it came back half Polish, quarter western Europe and quarter Irish. We never knew we had Irish in the genes. Must be my paternal grand mother was Irish. She was abandoned as a baby and never spoke of her background or past. I have pieced together that she was raised by a single aunt in a one room house on a ten acre farm.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #28

Both grandparents on Mothers side were immigrants.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:29 PM   #29
Confused about dryer sheets

The question is about experience with migration and then every single answer assumes the person lives in America.

I am an American who has immigrated out of America to another country. I would give up my US citizenship if it weren't punitively expensive.
esterhazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:35 PM   #30
Administrator

My mother and I immigrated to the US when I was a young child.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Paternal Grandfather immigrated from Scotland. Through Ellis Island in 1922. You can look up all the immigrants on the Ellis Island website. He was supposed to stay in NYC and then send for his brothers. Instead he made his way to San Fransisco and met my Grandmother. His brother did eventually make it over and was in SF all his life. I have a tape of my GF talking about his life. I could not get through an hour of it I was crying so much. I would like to go to Ellis Island

Maternal GGF was German I think. I think Maternal GF was born in this country

I think a lot about how hard it would be to leave your family and move to another country
Scrapr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:49 PM   #32

My mother's parents had two kids in Romania then moved to the US, coming through Ellis Island. My mother and her sister were born here.

On my father's side they came from Russia, a few generations back.

Our daughter-in-law is emigrating from China. I think about all that she is giving up in order to be here with our son. He must be worth it!
Old 11-08-2018, 09:13 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post

I think a lot about how hard it would be to leave your family and move to another country
+1 to that sentiment. I found the ship’s manifest showing my 3x great grandfather. It shows him as arriving in 1838 at age 60 with 7 kids in tow and no wife listed. She likely died in Ireland. Kids ranged from age 21 down to 4.

There was also a 60 year old female on board listed only as widow with no other travelers of the last name. Maybe he had or found a friend? I have not found anything further on her after arrival.

As to the poll, I voted other. I have 7 of 8 great grand parents born in USA.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:25 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm 10th generation from the paternal line (Quakers from Worcester England - built homestead in 1712 so immigrated some time earlier). Maternal line - at least 6th gen, they were probably Scots-Irish.

None of my grandparents were immigrants.

I may have one set of great-grandparents who were immigrants, but none of the others were immigrants.

Does that put me in the Other camp? I guess so.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #35

Interesting to see several mentions of prior generations not particularly wanting to talk about their past. I experienced that too with my immigrant ancestors, and have wondered why. I'm left to speculate that it was some combination of embarrassment of past poverty, guilt at having left family behind, modesty about what they had achieved in America, and probably other factors.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #36

7/8 g-grandparents born here. All 16 g-g-grandparents immigrated to here along with the 8th g-grandparent and 5/32 g-g-g-grandparents. Earliest got here in 1818. Last ones in 1857 or so.
gerntz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:01 PM   #37

My folks immigrated to the US and became proud naturalized citzens.

I'm not surprised that almost a third of responses are from 1st and 2nd generation immigrants since this seems to support the common stereotype of the hard working, financially savy immigrant, now often a skilled professional. I didn't expect to see so many that have had several generations living in the US. I'm also impressed by how many people had some idea of their geneology beyond 2 generations. My folks barely mentioned anyone beyond their parents, my great grandparents.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:41 PM   #38

5 generations of US born citizens for my family tree.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:00 AM   #39

Both parents immigrants. I guess that makes me first generation.

But what does that make my children? Their mother is an immigrant. Are they 1.5 generation?
Old 11-09-2018, 04:19 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

My maternal great, great grandparents came from Ireland around 1820. My Paternal great grand parents from Poland in the mid 1890's my grandfather was born in 1898. He helped many through Ellis Island as he spoke fluent Russian, Polish and German.

nativenewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote