4 to 7 funds & other holding categories 49 37.12%
8 to 11 funds & other holding categories 27 20.45%
12 to 15 funds & other holding categories 15 11.36%
16 to 20 funds & other holding categories 6 4.55%
21 or more funds & other holding categories 15 11.36%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Two ETFs and one regulated pension fund I can't get out of (30k). One cash/CD ladder, and one account which has my individual shares + cash covered puts.

If we get creative, I also have an LLC with some assets in it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2017, 07:31 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

No mutual funds.

All individual stocks and individual bonds plus real estate.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #23

For DW and I, no mutual funds. No stocks. 7 index ETFs - 5 equity and 2 bond.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

3 in my taxable brokerage account.
0 In my IRA
5 in my 401-k
Old 07-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Main holdings, 6 funds but really only three categories: Total US Market 42%, Total International Market 35%, US Small Cap. 23% as of 6/30.

Probably I will increase the International when we rebalance at the end of the year; I have become convinced that a roughly equal weighting of all stocks worldwide is better than the home country bias the portfolio now has. But there will still only be basically 3 holdings.

I also have a $100K test portfolio with DFA, 3 funds. A $100K test portfolio with the Schwab robot, which has insanely bought 12 funds!
Old 07-07-2017, 08:01 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

I own 8 stock index ETFs and 6 mutual funds across 4 accounts. This represents 11 market segments. Some funds are redundant but are there due to limited availability or fee structure in various accounts.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:21 AM   #27

More than 21. In the near future will come opportunities to consolidate down to 12-15.

There are about 12 "spaces", such as various IRA, Roth, SEP, 401(k), etc. So, an average of 2 funds per space.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a high number of funds, but...similar types depending on where they were held. My HSA had some VG Admiral options, but my Fido account is best served with their funds. Our VG accounts have Admiral shares with a 50K min, but we can only buy 25K per year of the closed funds, so there are investor shares and Admiral in each account. What really matters is meeting the desired allocation across sectors and across styles with bond and international exposures to balance risk. I am using some active managed funds, with low fees. I know some just buy the market in a few funds, but using historical data in portfoliovisualizer.com you can see the risk/reward of a blend of the funds I chose against simple indexing.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

VTSAX - 40%
VBTLX - 40%
VTIAX - 20%

Subscribing to the KISS principle. 3% real return and I'll be happy. It's what my whole ER plan is based on via ESPlanner.

So far so good with 5.3% real return.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
VTSAX - 40%
VBTLX - 40%
VTIAX - 20%

Subscribing to the KISS principle. 3% real return and I'll be happy. It's what my whole ER plan is based on via ESPlanner.

So far so good with 5.3% real return.
Thanks this made me think.....
When I checked performance my multi-fund portfolio had a higher historic return with lower std of risk, so I checked your allocation over the same time period against a Lazy Moderate allocation (VG but 4 different funds), and a mix of only two active funds 75% Wellington and 25% Wells (an approx 60/40 mix). Hard to do directly as VTIAX started Dec 2010.

Again, the two active funds had better performance with lower risk- about 2% annual performance and 1% lower STD. Both Lazy Portfolios had the same performance and risk. This is Dec 2010 to date.

I presume the time period and international exposure was in part to blame, but my allocation does better with the 20% international and a base allocation of these two active funds, still with lower risk. I would not have considered these funds if not for this forum. So I guess even a two fund portfolio is all one might need, but that is too many eggs in one basket for me.

I checked various allocations of the Wells against a simple two fund index 60/40. Again, since 2001 (admiral shares started) the Wells performed 1% better with up to 1% lower risk. Likely due to the bond market climb, but I am just a casual observer. It speaks to your point that a KISS approach will work very well. This was over a period from June 2001 to date, 16 years.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Midpack,

Thanks for posting this. It has nudged me to look at my 21 different funds and I've added consolidation to my to do list.

My number of funds is partly driven by different accounts (e.g., two 401(k)s, two Roth IRAs, 529s, etc) but even there I've not been too good at looking at my total portfolio as a single AA. For example, my 401(k) is my largest account and is in 4 funds. I'm now considering totally eliminating the S&P 500 index from that account as I have U.S. Large Cap covered in other accounts.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:49 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

4 holding groups. 75% VWENX (all pretax and Roth IRAs), 15% VTMFX (post tax accct), 6% cash equivalents and & 4% I-bonds. So far this KISS approach is working for us, but it has been less than 2 years since we both FIREd...in an up market.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:15 AM   #33

No funds, but four ETFs. The rest are stocks, CDs, iBonds, one Treasury Note and cash.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have only two funds today.
VWENX(VWELX) = 89%
WDIV = 7%

I have only two stocks these days (for sentimental reasons): ENB and SU, combined = 1.7%

One CD = 2.5% (for a tax payment next year).

I have given up on 50/50 US/international for the present--maybe for good.

As I mentioned elsewhere, after a lot of time and money, I came to the conclusion that as an active investor, I could match or perhaps beat Wellington...but I do not want to pay that much attention anymore. (I lost more than I should have risked when I was not paying attention.) They have a good track record and rebalance to 60/40 automatically. Except for a period in the '70's, consistency of management.

For grins, I found performance records for Wellington back to the beginning in 1930. I picked two 25-year periods with the longest run of negative years in the beginning (1930-1954, 4 years and 1973-1997, 3 years). 25 years, because I could last that long. I anticipate the possibility of retiring* at the worst possible time, when the market takes a long dive.

For these two time periods, I found that I could safely take 4% per year out when the total value was more than the previous year and 3% when it was down from the previous year (always the net, after taking distributions). Or, 3% always (simplest). I am leaning towards 3%. By now, I feel that I can't do any better myself.

Sure, this is data mining and so forth. I think I am avoiding irrational exuberance, however.

(*I have gone back to work part-time. Maybe will quit next Jan; maybe not.)

Cheers,

Ed
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #35

No funds or ETF's. All individual names.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:59 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

7 total. 5 ETFs and 2 funds. Have plans to eventually simplify and get rid of two of the ETFs and one of the funds.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #37

I have consolidated money into Vanguard where I can and I'm left with the following

401a
TIAA Traditional

Stable Value
Target retirement 2040

Vanguard
Wellesley
Balanced index
Total stock market index
Total international stock index

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:18 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Way too many, but in partial defense, we have 7 main accounts and I built my 403b (which is about 65% of total value) with an eye towards income and global diversification. After DW retires, I'll consolidate her remaining 401ks. I do want to simplify into 4 accounts as I near taking SS, for DW in case I croak. At some point we'll start drawing from my 403 first, which I'm gradually steering towards income, although I don't like bonds right now; otherwise the cash component would be much smaller.