Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: When it comes to financial advice, I ...
Do-it-myself only (with free advice from message boards) 80 80.00%
Do-it-myself mostly, but paid less than $500 in last 3 years for advice 13 13.00%
Pay less than $500 a year for check-ups 3 3.00%
Pay more than $500 a year for check-ups 3 3.00%
Pay alot for financial advice 1 1.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Paying for financial advice
Old 06-24-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Paying for financial advice

I think we sort of know what the poll will show, but I am curious if many of the do-it-yourselfers take advantage of a reality check from independent sources.* I'm gonna get one of those free financial plans from Vanguard shortly.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Poll: Paying for financial advice
Old 06-24-2006, 01:09 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

only thing I pay for is investor's business daily and the wall street journal. Otherwise there is too much free information on the internet
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
I'm gonna get one of those free financial plans from Vanguard shortly.
From my days on the M* Diehards board I heard that's a great reality check ("Am I missing something?!?") but otherwise worth what you pay for it...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:26 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm

As I qualify for a freebie from Vanguard - maybe next year to celebrate my 14th year of ER - or not.

Not going to replace all my books lost to Katrina - maybe the latest Zweig edited edition of Ben Graham - probably not Four Pillars.

Sure would hate for some VG financial planner to tell me I've been doing it all wrong all these years.

That would just tick the Norwegian widow off.

heh heh heh heh heh heh - he who violated his own best theory and got a mortgage and just took early SS this year.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:01 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
* I'm gonna get one of those free financial plans from Vanguard shortly.
Received my free financial plan and 45 min phone follow-up from VG a couple of weeks ago.* Plan suggested Tot Stk Mkt Index, Total Bond Index, Int'l Value Fund, Morgan Growth.* Owned 2 of the 4 plus own 6 other VG funds and 1 non-VG.* All in IRA.* All suggested to be sold and moved into suggested funds.* Thought they would suggest more diversification than they did, but VG CFP said they wanted to "own the market".* I suggested they add correlation tool for VG funds on their good Flagship website so behavior relative to the market could be better anticipated.* Am kinda happy with the behavior and performance of my homegrown allocation of funds for a couple of years and also recently.* *Of course different individual goals may result in different VG plan suggestions, but since this is an ER Forum, I would be curious as to the similarities in plan suggestions by VG.
starboardtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
From my days on the M* Diehards board I heard that's a great reality check ("Am I missing something?!?") but otherwise worth what you pay for it...
Yeah, i suppose if the guy calls up and says "Whaddayanuts?!?" you might want to reconsider your investing strategy. Otherwise the guys just going to tell you that you might consider doing something else you probably already considered and decided not to do...

I got a letter from vanguard last week imploring me to try their free financial analysis. Maybe next week when I have some free time and I feel like watching someone dangle over a cliff...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny
... and I feel like watching someone dangle over a cliff...
One of Schwarzenegger's best lines: "I let heem goe..."

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by starboardtack
Received my free financial plan and 45 min phone follow-up from VG a couple of weeks ago.* Plan suggested Tot Stk Mkt Index, Total Bond Index, Int'l Value Fund, Morgan Growth.
Of course different individual goals may result in different VG plan suggestions, but since this is an ER Forum, I would be curious as to the similarities in plan suggestions by VG.
There are threads on the VG plans here:
http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=7571.0
http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=5712.0
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:18 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny
Maybe next week when I have some free time and I feel like watching someone dangle over a cliff...
Maybe one day you can retire.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:50 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Its my dream...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:54 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Thanks LOL.* Guess I'm in the camp of some liking where they chose to set a spell in allocation.* Good sanity check though.*
starboardtack is offline   Reply With Quote