80% to 90% 7 5.98%
90% to 100% 13 11.11%
100% to 110% 3 2.56%
110% to 120% 3 2.56%
Over 120% 6 5.13%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2017, 01:03 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My wages while w@rking were stagnant so I had the same net income for the last 3 years of w@rk.
My current income streams are 89% of my take home w@rking income.
Some months I spend it all and some months I save a bunch.
Life is good.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2017, 02:33 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
My wages while w@rking were stagnant so I had the same net income for the last 3 years of w@rk.
My current income streams are 89% of my take home w@rking income.
Some months I spend it all and some months I save a bunch.
Life is good.
I like your take on this: 89% of your w*rking take home pay. Because of a combination of high taxes, savings, and the cost of benefits my after tax take home pay while still w@rking is 57% of gross.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:05 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Retirement as a percentage of working income? Easy - it's 40%. We retired two years ago, so the numbers are fresh. No more Social Security, effective federal tax rate is about 10%, no more maxing out the retirement plans, no more parking and tolls, no more buying lunch, etc. Life is grand.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:07 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
We're planning for 60-70% of our pre-retirement income after retirement. Essentially the same life style we are living now. We could still reduce our spending a bit if it really came to that.
Not retired yet, but our plan is similar at about 60% at age 62. We're sinking a lot of money right now into college tuition, commuting, and parking for work. My commute is costing me 7-8% of my gross income.

I'm very comfortable with that 60%, but we're working on how not to stay in the rat race until 62.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:17 PM   #45

I used the percentage of income in the last 5 years, before retirement. Not include money in investment accounts that we don't plan to touch. Who cares what they are earning or growing. They don't count yet. The numbers could be off if you retired for a while. But we just retired last year.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:55 PM   #46

Keep in mind that the "biblical source" of these 80%(+) figures come from the FA community. It is their vested interest to have folks earning $$ long past the actual need to do so. Your real need is, as most here know, related to your spending as you near retirement. Some adjustments might be less taxes and commuting but higher health care and vacation, etc. For most folks, the 80% figure is hogwash.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Our "income" consists of DW's pension and a withdrawal from my investments. for 2017, this is 34% of our pre-retirement gross salaries. In 10 years, CPP/OAS will boost this to 44%.

But since we are now in a much lower income tax bracket, pay no payroll taxes, no longer have employment expenses, mortgage done, and no need to save for retirement, our disposable income is 125% of what it was pre-retirement.

That will come in handy for travel, home improvements and hobbies.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:34 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
Too bad, I was looking forward to hearing what peoples REAL SPENDING has been as a % of income during their working time.
I agree, all of these current polls miss the mark. I guess the curiosity factor is what's driving them, not relevance.

Start your own.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:00 PM   #49

I thought that was how I responded to this poll. Somehow all the income from other sources seem to have clouded the poll.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:54 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Income 40%
SWR 20% - 25%
Old 04-02-2017, 01:00 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

65%
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retirement income