Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: I just recieved a letter offering me free dinner for 4 at a 3.5 star restaurant to listen to to a Re
Go to the presentation 28 38.89%
Skip it 44 61.11%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Should I Go???
Old 03-18-2007, 08:42 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Should I Go???

Based on the letter, I am almost positive it is an Insurance Agency. What do you think Is an hour "No Obligation" presentation worth the free dinner?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Poll: Should I Go???
Old 03-18-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did not vote. Most of these things are just informational in nature -- In my experience, and I have been at a few, there is no "hard sell" just information and then a handout that you can follow-up on if you are interested. Most are not worth the effort but some have some good information. I have never followed-up on the ideas -- if it was new to me, I just did my own research.

BTW do not expect a big time meal even if it is a 3 or 4 star place. You may get a choice of two boiler plate meals. Special meals; NOT off of the menu.

I would go if you are interested in learning what they have to offer -- but I would not sign ANYTHING they had to offer, at least on the first visit.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG
I would go if you are interested in learning what they have to offer -- but I would not sign ANYTHING they had to offer, at least on the first visit.
I wouldn't sign anything ever with these folks but I am against insurance agents pretending to be "financial advisors" and big brokerage house registered reps after your money. They are the only choices of who is putting on your show.

I wouldn't waste my time. You can't be that hard up for a meal.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:59 AM   #4

While in mega corp a co-worker "won" free lunches for 10 friends.

Turned out to be a low pressure sales pitch by a FA. Needed to complete a one page sheet with contact info. Many moaned about frequent phone calls shortly after.

If you go, have a fake/junk: EMAIL, address, and phone numbers.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
While in mega corp a co-worker "won" free lunches for 10 friends.

Turned out to be a low pressure sales pitch by a FA. Needed to complete a one page sheet with contact info. Many moaned about frequent phone calls shortly after.

If you go, have a fake/junk: EMAIL, address, and phone numbers.
Excellent advice for all of us.

While in college, my sister (a real "looker") asked for my advice on how to get rid of guys that would hit her up for her phone number. She said that even when she said she had a boyfriend and wasn't interested it didn't get rid of them. They would follow and pester her for blocks.

I suggested she memorize the number for "dial a prayer." She could say how she was running late to meet her mother and even write the number down for them. They'd go away thinking they'd made contact and she'd never hear from them again. It's one of the few times my sister admitted to taking my advice and saying it worked.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

What is your time worth? You can get more out of seniors specials if you want to save money. And how about the other three poor people you will drag along to waste their time.

If you want free information, there are paid programming pitches you can watch from the comfort of your home.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:26 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. Most of the votes so far [3 out of 5] say skip it.

This is my inclination also. I have never been to this type of pitch, but I did get sucked into a time share presentation once about 15 years ago. Talk about pressure.

I tend to agree... The meal is probably not worth the time and aggrevation. I doubt that I will learn much (other than the magic answer is ding annuity or life insurance).

They were kind enough to send me 4 tickets so I could bring along another couple. Wasn't that nice of them.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Check the doors for closing metal gates before you go in.

It'll be a long night, gates or not...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:33 AM   #9

no such thing as a free lunch (or dinner)
Old 03-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #10

I wouldn't bother. First you have to listen to the pitch, which even if you're not interested, will have you questionning your own direction. That's part of the design of the presentation -- a soft ball approach to have you wondering what you're missing out on.

Then you'll get to the Q & A where you'll hear a bunch of questions that will have you wondering even more about your own situation.

Finally, after 60 to 90 minutes of this, only then do you get to eat! And as another poster said, it's generally not from the full menu, but a choice of chicken or ??

And as for the follow up calls, here's the perfect opportunity for that Phone a Prayer number!

Old 03-18-2007, 02:57 PM   #11

I would do a car test drive where you got cash instead. I don't think that listening to a speech for a cheap meal is worth it but YMMV.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
I would do a car test drive where you got cash instead. I don't think that listening to a speech for a cheap meal is worth it but YMMV.
Speaking of car test drives, I recently got an invitation to test drive the 2007 Maserati Quattroporte, after which I'll receive a $100 gift certificate to Fleming's Steakhouse. Haven't a clue how I got on THIS invitation list -- I had to Google Maserati to even identify the car! However, DH and I are putting on our best duds and going driving!
Old 03-18-2007, 03:31 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51
Speaking of car test drives, I recently got an invitation to test drive the 2007 Maserati Quattroporte, after which I'll receive a $100 gift certificate to Fleming's Steakhouse. Haven't a clue how I got on THIS invitation list -- I had to Google Maserati to even identify the car! However, DH and I are putting on our best duds and going driving!
Marketers purchase Sales Leads lists. I know that the credit Bureaus allow marketers and data aggregators to check leads against their data to target people with certain credit profiles. You would be suprised at the amount of information that is available about you that has been aggregated and is sold regularly.

My guess is that some dealer either knows you have assets and/or high credit rating. They are hoping you are a boomer that wants a status symbol.

As a side note: I am not so sure about the relaibility of a Maserati... But the Italians sure make a sweet looking car.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Ask them if you can take Maserati on a race track, or better yet for a weekend test drive. Actually if you plan it right you could parley the test drive into some even better high status opportunity, like a Lear Jet test drive !!
Old 03-18-2007, 04:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
no such thing as a free lunch (or dinner)
Not always true.

I won't rehash it too much because I have mentioned it several times. I have been to several of these at Ruth Chris and Morton's Steakhouse here in Chicago. I've enjoyed several nice steaks, met other nice people, hung our with my friends, and did it on somebody else's dime.

How is that not free? If it's at a nice place, the sell is almost never a hard one.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:12 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp
a Lear Jet test drive
Those handle like crap on the highway. Gas mileage stinks too!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51
You probably fit the definition of a high spender. You could subscribe to a certain magazine, belong to a frequent flier club or even live in a specific rich zip code. And there are more ways that they can target you.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
I wouldn't sign anything ever with these folks but I am against insurance agents pretending to be "financial advisors"
I think it's the "new scam" for the 21st Century............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
You probably fit the definition of a high spender. You could subscribe to a certain magazine, belong to a frequent flier club or even live in a specific rich zip code. And there are more ways that they can target you.
Oh, little do they know! Actually, I suspect it's the frequent flier club (courtesy of my previous employment that had me flying all over the place) and/or that zip code thing. Recently several developers have been building $million plus houses in my zip code (not that they are actually selling many, but they are building 'em). Ever since, we've been getting a higher level of junk mail. Heh, heh!
Old 03-19-2007, 05:41 PM   #20

Just for fun (and the free dinner) I went to one of those dinner and a free retirement planning seminar. The dinner was at a nice place but the meal was on the cheap end of the menu. The after dinner presentation was pure financial planner advertizing. The tid bits provided in the presentation were all common knowledge items you could pick up anywhere. But, for a small fee you could get a full analysis and assistance with your retirement planning.

A lot of people signed up for the "personal" evaluation. It was touted as free but I talked with the presenter and found out quickly that the offer was for a "general" outlook on your financial status. The full blown plan would be a bit more than free. How much more? It depends was the answer. Depends on what? I asked. The answer was, "it depends on how long it takes to do it and what level you want to go and your assets."

So, the answer really was, the more assets you have the more $$$ it will cost for the analysis and of course you will need him to "help" make sure your assets will grow and be "directed" so you will have enough to retire when you are 65.

It was a total pitch for financial planner services. I can see why folks sign up for this...it is easier to hand it all over to some "expert" than try to learn how to do it for yourself. The problem is that you lose a lot to fees and "services" that are frequently hidden from view in the figures. They don't know they are getting robbed for very little real work. How hard is it to set up some high expense funds, bond ladders, CDs, money market funds, and some index funds while charging a very nice commission for the "work"?

Sorry about the rant but I just had this conversation with a family member recently who was clueless of the hidden costs of ignorance and trust.