View Poll Results: Should I stay or should I go now
Stay 99 63.46%
Go now 57 36.54%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2017, 07:08 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=

Every day is a struggle to convince myself not to quit - [/QUOTE]

I think you still love the money. Sometime people are in denial but making money make them happy and it can be very addictive. That's why many of my colleague refuse to retire. I don't think anything wrong with it.

IMO, people are even more greedy when money is too easy to make which meant they will have "another year syndrome" ... yes for a long time. You will be ok either way.

The question is do you value time or money? Time then ER, money then work a few more years.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Stick around, take a vacation maybe, but get the money. Maybe go ahead and begin looking for that downsize house - that can take some time and considering your hourly rate time is good!

Old 10-03-2017, 10:45 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

This is the best advice I can give.

Listen to your wife, and go now.

You will probably regret the loss of two years of adventure more than the money almost for certain.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:55 AM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My vote is go now if you think that you have enough and start your adventure. It's very difficult to decide if you have enough despite how much money that you have, however.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:25 PM   #85
Dryer sheet aficionado

My vote is to stay. It's a big payoff for two years, and you won't have that opportunity again. Also, the health insurance situation might become a little clearer by then. I'm trying to plan for ER and am finding it almost impossible because I have no idea how much health insurance will cost me or whether I'll even be able to get insurance. You might not have a problem getting insurance in your early forties, but it probably won't be cheap. How much is it going to cost you when you're 60? If you can't get insurance at that age, will you have enough to cover the costs of major injury or illness?

Having said that, I get the frustration. I would really like to retire now. Given that I'm going to be out of job soon, it is even more tempting. Instead, I'm looking for a job. Mostly because I just don't have confidence that the health insurance situation will make it possible for my money to last at even a modest standard of living.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:51 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'm in the life is uncertain camp. You have more than enough now, why run the risk of an early death or disability that could rob you or your DW of retirement years?
I'm later to the thread here but this is my vote too: go
Old 10-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #87
Dryer sheet wannabe

Update: Going.

OP here. I put in my notice yesterday. Going at the end of the month.

I have some part-time consulting work lined up so I can't really say I'm ERing, but I will have the necessary flexibility to do what I want with my extracurriculars. No more face time at the office.

Thanks for all your thoughts and advice. It would be easier to play it safe and stay but at the end of the day my marginal utility of time is higher than my marginal utility of wealth.

I still have to get through the next month, it's possible they try throwing money or promotions at me to stay, not sure I could withstand that.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:09 AM   #88

OP - if you decide to go now, please submit my name for the 2 years, I will UN-FIRE for $1,000,000 per year.

So really my vote is stay, that is a huge amount, and you will be able to take some trips (super nice expensive trips) during the next 2 years, which will make it feel more worth while.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroday View Post

I still have to get through the next month, it's possible they try throwing money or promotions at me to stay, not sure I could withstand that.
1.2 million didn't work. I'm trying to comprehend how much more it would take to change your mind.

I'm a little surprised by your decision, but only a little. You were in the catbird seat and which ever way you chose, it wouldn't have been wrong.

Anyhow, enjoy your new life. I can't wait until it's my turn!
Old 10-07-2017, 09:25 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

You are my hero- you geaux. Carpe Diem-
Old 10-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #91
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congratulations zeroday!
Old 10-08-2017, 09:06 AM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations. Your hard work and disciplined saving paid off. Enjoy.

FN
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #93

Congrats on your decision and never look back.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:38 PM   #94
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Best of luck! I hope you enjoy and make great use of your bonus time.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In general this discussion sounds a lot like the discussion constantly going on in my head, but it's nice to see validation of the two sides from different people/perspectives. Thanks again. The commitment is basically annual (large payouts at the year markers), so I will probably stick around for at least the first year and see where things stand at that time. But only so long as there is a reasonable balance between work and play, if work starts to encroach significantly then I will eject. ....
Quote:
OP here. I put in my notice yesterday. Going at the end of the month. ...
Congratulations! I'm curious... what happened in the 4 days in between your posts that changed your mind?
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations. You've won the game any way you slice it. Please hang around and let us know how it goes.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:08 PM   #97
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Congratulations! I'm curious... what happened in the 4 days in between your posts that changed your mind?
Putting this consulting thing together sealed it for me- just made the transition a little less scary.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #98
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Putting this consulting thing together sealed it for me- just made the transition a little less scary.
Any updates here? Did you actually go through with it? I'm in a scenario very similar to yours, zeroday.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

In addition: Was there trouble? And if you went, was it double?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terhathum123 View Post
Any updates here? Did you actually go through with it? I'm in a scenario very similar to yours, zeroday.
Poll: Should I stay or should I go now
Old 11-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #100
Dryer sheet wannabe

Poll: Should I stay or should I go now

Good move I wish I️ had the guts to do it now (56). If you are triathletes maybe a Kona legacy bid is in reach if not a direct bid. Triathletes are notoriously awesome at the higher age groups as you know but as one ages life throws athletic curves and fastballs you don’t see in youth! Plus one’s feeling of invincibility rapidly diminishes. I️ think the most difficult part is when you will your body to do something it knows how to do but cannot quite do any more. But I️t is still all good. As they say the saddest words in English are what might have been. As Jimmy Jazz would say you are in control. Good luck!