Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How does your retirement spending compare to your last 10 years working?
Frugal - I have/plan to spend at least 20% less in retirement than I did when I was working. 38 17.67%
Live it up - I have/plan to spend at least 20% more in retirement than I did when I was still working. 40 18.60%
Smoothed - I have/plan to spend about the same in retirement as I did when I was working. 137 63.72%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We're living it up... We are still not tapping any retirement savings, and are actually adding a little now. It was not part of the plan, but plans change. I guess we are still living beneath our means, just not as frugal as we were when we were working.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #22

I voted more frugal. For starters, I won't need to spend some $4000 a year on suits, $1500 a year or so on dry cleaning, $200 a pop for nice business shoes, don't have utility bills in two countries, so far the cost of food is about 1/3 what we were spending in Tokyo, won't be renting a car every two months for $300 a pop to stop by and visit my family during round-the-world business trips.

On the other side of the coin, we are so far spending around $350 a month more in gasoline...had a company car and company gas in Tokyo, and our home here is in the country...nearest little town is 8 miles away. I have been working on a variety of projects to clean up our place in N Cal, which is costing a bit but still not offsetting the savings. That said, I will be slowing down a bit on the projects lest I get carried away!

R
Old 03-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #23

More, mainly on vacations, eating out, electronic toys.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We will be spending less money but actually have a higher standard of living. We have more time now to price shop, look for free things to do, cut expenses, DIY fun stuff, probably downsize + lower COL area eventually.

Doing things like taking the dog hiking at the local state park, free day at the local museums, grilling out, riding our bikes and going out to ethnic restaurants for lunch are things we enjoy and have more time for but don't really cost much money - The Thomas Stanley cheap date model - A Cheap Date.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #25
Administrator

We are definitely spending on ourselves much more now than during most of my working years. We are also enjoying it much more.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I voted "smooth" but on reflection I am probably spending a bit higher since I travel more now. I didn't include savings, college tuition, and taxes as "spending" from my work years. Those were temporary and when included in the calculation my pre-ER cash flow was much higher than today's.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #27

I voted smooth even though I'm more fugal on a monthly basis than I was when working. I also spent more last year for maintenance on the house (furness, a/c, windows, patio door) and also buying a new car this year. I'm hoping to replace these big ticket items now, just in case we are hit with higher inflation rate at some point.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

About the same although I will start to pump up my travel budget a bit going forward.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Don't really have a spending plan or watch over standard of living. We just live the same as before and always seem to have plenty of cash to do anything that we want to do and not fret over financial matters at all.
That is us to a T.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #30
gone traveling

I voted "Smoothed" - I plan to spend about the same. My first full year in retirement was pretty much on target.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We are definitely spending on ourselves much more now than during most of my working years. We are also enjoying it much more.
We are not denying ourselves in the BWE house, let's just say.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #32

Smoothed, or perhaps a bit more but not by much.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Smoothed but costs will go up in a couple areas when I quit my "retirement" job. I'll have to start paying cell phone and will lose some company vehicle benefits.
jim747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted "smoothed". We will need to replace the windows in our house soon, which would put us in the +20% category. But that's a one-time expense that would have occurred whether or not I continued working.

I expect our biggest reductions in spending to come from reduced payroll taxes - income taxes should remain about the same - and going from being a three car family down to only two cars. As far as increases in spending, it's likely we'll do more traveling. Other than that, we're comfortable with our current lifestyle, so I don't expect a lot of changes day-to-day either for increases or decreases in spending.
karluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #35

I voted smoothed. Expenses have not changed much.
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

planning to spend same as I do now. Voted for smoothed.
retire2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We are not denying ourselves in the BWE house, let's just say.
Same here. I have never spent this much before, I can afford it, and I am unashamedly enjoying it, too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I planned on more, because I knew when we retired we'd have TIME to spend more. And we wanted to do a good bit of traveling - something we had no time to do while working. Before we were way too busy working and saving to spend any money.

I think retired folks tend to get a big jump in standard of living anyway: you don't have to commute, spend money on work-related clothing, spend money for tasks you don't have time to do. Once retired you have time to research and take advantage of major deals. You can enjoy leisurely vacations. When working, vacations tend to be more expensive because you are rushed.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

We better be able to live on 20% less, maybe a lot less.

One planning problem is that due to working outside the country, it is impossible to track expenses that can be projected to when we are home and retired.

Sometimes I despair. DW wants to keep the 2 cars and the house. I have a Plan B in case reality becomes impossible to ignore.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I voted "live it up", but only because I know that we will be spending more on travel and other leisure activities that we do not have time for now. I also suspect that leisure activities will cost more in the earlier years of retirement and wane as the years pass.

DH should be RE in the next quarter (age 56) and we are looking forward to "hitting the road".
misty57 is offline   Reply With Quote