Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Travel is what % of your ER budget?
10% or less 51 42.86%
20% approx. 49 41.18%
30% approx. 11 9.24%
40% approx. 3 2.52%
50% or more 5 4.20%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Most of my travel spending in recent years has been family, so not really expensive. While working, I traveled to get away from the scene of work.

I think that some part of travel budget is spent to get away from boring home areas or to give relationships a boost. There are obviously nicer cities than Seattle in many European countries. But not much nicer, and here I know what's up and there I don't, so unless it were free I am ordinarily not very interested. I see plenty travelers from everywhere a very short walk from my home. They don't seem to be having any more fun than I am. Often middle-aged, clean looking couples will ask me directions. I usually know the route, but generally if I have seen whatever it is they are going to, it is only because I have guided some relative there.

My relationship doesn't get stale, because it is not overworked. Anyway, if it did, lots of relief for me or her right here in Rain City.

Ha
We made a list of all the museums, parks, gardens and tourist attractions to visit and day trips we wanted to go on before we might move out of our area. We came up with such a long list and had fun working through our list, I think we're just going to stay where we are at. Weird because originally I thought we'd downsize and travel more. But we have never found any place we both wanted to live more than where we live now, and we decided as long as we were happy with our little day trips and outings we'll just keep doing that until we get bored. We have a fair bit of travel we have to do for family visits so maybe that, weekend getaways and one big destination trip now and then will be our travel for the year. We also enjoy having our days free and living some place where other people like to visit on vacation.

Tomorrow we're going to an aviation museum.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like Europe and immensely enjoyed both the Italy hike/bike trip a few years ago (starting in Florence) and this summer's walk around the Lake Country. Since I was 12 I wanted to go to Florence, even more than London.
Hiking across northern Scotland next year, then maybe Northern Italy and French Alps in 2016.
Also love the mountain US. But I understand why some don't like travel.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:14 AM   #23
gone traveling

We just LBOM. So nothing specific for travel. Up someplace means down somewhere else. Life too short for this detail.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just retired and DH will join me in 2016. He hasn't seen much of the US, so we plan on some road trips across the US. Most of my traveling until he retires will be for cycling & hiking. I will be traveling to Ireland next June with my daughter. She has the "travel bug". I may be traveling to Tuscany next fall with some friends from book club. Walking the Camino de Santiago is also on my bucket list.
DH and I set aside articles from Sunset magazine highlighting areas in the West that we want to visit. Alaska is at the top of the list. We want to make sure we travel while we are healthy and able to enjoy it.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #25

First off we have no budget, for last 12 months we have spent 30% of our spending on travel. Here comes the but, we have in 12 months only spent 60% of our SWR. 12 month travel includes 10 days in Hawaii, a week in Las Vegas, a trip to the east coast for a visit and time at the "shore", 7 day cruise to Sea of Cortez, and a bunch of deposit money on Galapagos/Machu Picchu trip. We a bunching them up these couple of years, so I think 10-15% per year is more like what we will spend.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:10 AM   #26

23.076923%

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #27

Poll: Travel is what % of your ER budget?

This is the second poll I can't see. Is it because I use an iPad?

NM. I can do it changing to Web View, though I have to re-log in.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We made a list of all the museums, parks, gardens and tourist attractions to visit and day trips we wanted to go on before we might move out of our area. We came up with such a long list and had fun working through our list, I think we're just going to stay where we are at. Weird because originally I thought we'd downsize and travel more. But we have never found any place we both wanted to live more than where we live now, and we decided as long as we were happy with our little day trips and outings we'll just keep doing that until we get bored. We have a fair bit of travel we have to do for family visits so maybe that, weekend getaways and one big destination trip now and then will be our travel for the year. We also enjoy having our days free and living some place where other people like to visit on vacation.

Tomorrow we're going to an aviation museum.
This pretty much describes what we do now (not Fired...yet) and what we plan on doing when we do Fire.

There will be 'big' destinations, but only now and then - too much to see close to home - for now.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #29

< 10% for me. Once per year I meet up with college buddies somewhere in the US. I usually take at least 1 sightseeing trip to a city. This year I went on a group trip to Berlin. I've taken a few road trips in the US. Not a lot of travel compared to many retirees I meet.

The one thing I've never been interested in was hiking in a foreign country. My thinking is the US has great naturally scenic hikes. If I travel it is usually for cultural experiences.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

It's about 10-15% of our budget. We are probably within the 13% range, and we decide in the first year of retirement to do the cheaper USA road trips, rather than the plane and cruises.
Part of the travel is study of different places where to retire, and side trips to interesting side trips.
We drive the old car and truck which is fully paid.
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Failed to cast my vote as we have no budget. When we want to travel, we travel. Everything else takes care of itself.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I voted for 20% approx. We have $5300 budgeted for travel out of a $32,000 annual budget. As our portfolio grows larger over time (we're pulling under 3%), I expect the travel budget to increase more than other elements. If our portfolio shrinks, we'll reduce the travel budget.